Manly Sea Eagles skipper Jamie Lyon made for Nines competition: Daly Cherry-Evans

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
IT'S a game designed for the young fast and the furious yet Manly star Daly Cherry-Evans predicts one old bird will fly.

While most expect the energetic youth to shine in the Auckland Nines competition, Cherry-Evans tips his 32-year-old skipper Jamie Lyon to excel.

Read More

IT'S a game designed for the young fast and the furious yet Manly star Daly Cherry-Evans predicts one old bird will fly.

While most expect the energetic youth to shine in the Auckland Nines competi
66746831.jpg
tion, Cherry-Evans tips his 32-year-old skipper Jamie Lyon to excel.

While the Sea Eagles coaching staff are yet to discuss their plans for the tournament inaugural - which runs over two-days from Saturday 15 February - Cherry-Evans has made himself available for selection but it is Lyon who he backs as the man to lead the club to securing the $2.6m prize money.

"I think our captain Jamie Lyon, he's available - I have no doubt with more room on the field he'll be able to create more opportunities for himself and his teammates," Cherry-Evans said from a Community Carnival campaign where the Sea Eagles were delivering the game's "Tackle Bullying" program across Australia.

"He's a wonderful athlete and I have no doubt if he goes, he'll be a standout player."

In what was a breakout season for Cherry-Evans in which he won the Clive Churchill Medal in last year's grand final, featured in Queensland's eighth straight State of Origin win and Australia's World Cup triumph, the halfback was keen to get his hands on the ball in the Nines.

"Hopefully I'll be involved with it all," he said. "It's a great concept and hopefully it kicks off and something we can continue to build in our game."

Having showed his versatility in both the Origin and Test arena, Cherry-Evans is capable of playing almost anywhere on the field.

Quick off the mark, pin-point accurate kicking game and silky smooth precision passing, Cherry-Evans has the tools to succeed in the new format.

However the 24-year-old says he couldn't predict how he would do in the Nines, describing facets of the competition as "too unknown".

NRL PRE-SEASON TRIAL SCHEDULE

Meanwhile Sea Eagles utility Peta Hiku has also expressed his desire to take part in the tournament.

"I haven't been told anything but it would be good to go back to New Zealand and play," Hiku said.

"I'll put my hand up to go and play. I'd like to play with a bit more space. I've never been in a nines tournament before."

After making his NRL debut last year and impressed at fullback for the injured Brett Stewart, having joined the Narrabeen based club via the Warriors, the 21-year-old New Zealand native has spent the off-season training in the centres.

While he has Jamie Lyon and Steve Matai ahead of him in the pecking order, Hiku is willing to bide his time in the lower grades, honing his skills in his new position until called upon by first-grade coach Geoff Toovey.

"You always have to be underneath those two (Lyon and Matai)," he said.

"But it should be good playing some reserve grade in the centres… fullback was my main position but I don't mind playing there or the centres."

Nathan Ryan
FOX SPORTS

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/manly-sea-eagles-skipper-jamie-lyon-made-for-auckland-nines-competition-daly-cherryevans/story-fni3gnk1-1226817674220

Agree, Killer would kill it in 9s.
Interesting snippet at the end of the article, Hiku has spent the off-season training at centre, not fullback.
Maybe Gutherson is back-up to Snake this year??

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Agree, Killer would kill it in 9s.
Interesting snippet at the end of the article, Hiku has spent the off-season training at centre, not fullback.
Maybe Gutherson is back-up to Snake this year??

I agree re Hiku. It's great to read that he's being moved to centres, Not because I think Gutherson will necessarily jump ahead of him this year but because it shows the club are serious about both of them long term. Hiku is an obvious replacement for Lyon. Skills of a 5/8, running game and positional play of a 3/4.
Well done Manly.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8