Manly Sea Eagles Daly Cherry-Evans sees similarities between Blake Green and Kieran Foran

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
THE Sea Eagles signed Blake Green to unleash their newly minted, million dollar skipper Daly Cherry-Evans.

And the star No. 7 sees serious shades of Kieran Foran — one of the few that got away from Manly — in how Green goes about his business.

For five very successful seasons the Cherry-Evans-Foran firm was the most well-rounded halves pairing in the competition, delivering a premiership in 2011, a grand final appearance two years later and countless Brookvale victories.

The Kiwi five-eighth’s departure at the end of 2015 sent both players backwards in a big way, Foran off the park and Cherry-Evans on it.

But with Green recruited out of Melbourne with orders to take the heat off Cherry-Evans — who collects a cool $1.25 million a year from Manly — the big money half has that old familiar feeling back again at the scrumbase.
“The way they think about rugby league, the way they want to attack, their thought process on breaking a team down and delivering that final blow to score points.

“In that regard I’m looking forward to playing with someone who’s on that similar wavelength.

“If we can recreate some of the great football that Kieran and I were playing a couple of years ago then I’m obviously a big fan of that. I definitely feel that there.”

Last year Trent Barrett arrived at Manly granting Cherry-Evans an all-access pass to the maroon and white attack, à la Johnathan Thurston at the Cowboys.

It didn’t work. The result, among another year of dramas and injuries on the Peninsula, was a stunted offence that ranked fourth last in the competition and DCE’s running game disappearing somewhere off Manly beach.

Cherry-Evans admits he struggled with the new role and without Foran, as Dylan Walker (eight games), Jamie Lyon (seven), winger Matthew Wright (two), Pita Godinet (one) and Api Koroisau (one) were all shuffled through the five-eighth role alongside him.

“But my role within the side will definitely be a bit different to what people saw last year.

“Without giving too much away I’m looking forward to being a bit freer and playing off the ball a bit more to create some opportunities.

“ ... The way we played last year it felt a bit difficult learning the new system, we completely changed the whole way we attacked last year and that took a long time to adjust to.

“Within that I probably had to sacrifice that (running) part of my game to help everyone else understand our game plan quicker.”

The arrival of 30-year-old Green, signed for two years, is hoped to be the catalyst in a Cherry-Evans form revival, who fell so far in 2016 that he declared his own rep career “non-existent” in a brutal self assessment last week.

It was Green after all that offered another point of attack down the Storm’s left edge for the past two seasons.

The rugby journeyman contributed in no small part to Melbourne’s charge to last year’s grand final, not to mention Cooper Cronk’s Dally M Medal win.

Having come through both Craig Bellamy’s five star systems at the Storm, as well as Michael Maguire’s title winning set up at Wigan, Cherry-Evans is more than happy to hand Green the playmaking reins in 2017.

“We’re definitely using Blake’s knowledge of the game, he’s an extremely smart rugby league player,” Cherry-Evans said.

“I’m always trying to pick his brain because he’s been to so many clubs and had success at those clubs. It’s no coincidence he’s been involved in that.

“I’m trying to learn from him and find out ways to help him and utilise those ways he can help me.

“I think we’ll see a lot of Blake Green controlling the side.

“He’s very experienced and he’s got a great rugby league brain and I feel as though one of my biggest strengths is my running game.

“Blake can help me utilise that part of my game by freeing me up a bit wider and not necessarily getting stuck in the middle of the field as much.”

“I definitely see similarities between Blake and Kieran,” Cherry-Evans says of his new halves partner.

I listed a new property this morning - a dated 2 bedroom unit.
Last week I listed a huge 5 bedroom modern masterpiece.
They had similarities - both have front doors!!
Nothing against Green who is solid - Foran- like him or hate him, was a sensational player
Green will be a player to relieve pressure off DCE - Foran was a dangerous weapon who not only gave DCE a spell, but was a matchwinner in his own right.
Not happy how the Foran stuff played out and happy to have Green improve the side by taking control we lacked in 2016 - but no comparison to Foran.

Greens no Foran......true.

But Green IS a 5/8, something we didn't have in 2016.

During this " rebuild " we just need a solid half to compliment Cherry and hope one of our current signings ( young Tom Wright as an example) grows into a top line half to pair with a more experienced DCE in a year or two.

He'll go " ok" , not a superstar but should suit the current situation perfectly.

I'm actually quite excited about having green at 5/8 next year. He's a solid defender a good organiser plus he has a nice kicking game.
He's one of the main reasons I think we can sneak into the top 8 this year.

“I’m always trying to pick his brain because he’s been to so many clubs......"
Says it all really......lol

Nothing against Green who is solid - Foran- like him or hate him, was a sensational player
Green will be a player to relieve pressure off DCE - Foran was a dangerous weapon who not only gave DCE a spell, but was a matchwinner in his own right.
Not happy how the Foran stuff played out and happy to have Green improve the side by taking control we lacked in 2016 - but no comparison to Foran.

I agree with you that Blake Green is not K Foran , however like Andrew I am also excited about the inclusion of Green and I think he will play a huge positive role in our improved performance this season ... go the mighty Seaeagles

I didn't know DCE was on 1.25M a season. I thought it was a measly $1-Million. Has he received a pay rise already, or was this always the salary?

I said the following once before and got howled down .... in response to the general mood of the time being that Green would struggle without the structure of Melb ... I suggested that I would be interested in seeing what skills he has when freed of that same structure and allowed to play his own hand.

Is interesting.

Do people expect DCE to come out and rubbish him?

"Yeah this Green fella... well he's like a poor man's Brown, but greener, and only plays one position unlike the versatile Brown so he's probably going to be pretty sh*t if someone gets injured in the second row... I expect he'll have very little impact on the wing, or at fullback if we have to play him there as well..."

"I still can't believe we got rid of the world class international James Hassooon for this peanut to be honest... what?? Ohh yeah fair enough that was for the rubbish dummy half, my bad..."

"anyhow it's obvious that, having played at a lot of clubs and never staying put, that's he's a bit of a d*ckhead that nobody likes, and he's proven to be exactly that with lackluster training efforts and some really crap practical jokes that he thought were funny... but not even Bazza laughed and he'd just had his hair done so was in a good mood and all..."

"Yeah this Green fella... well he's like a poor man's Brown, but greener, and only plays one position unlike the versatile Brown so he's probably going to be pretty sh*t if someone gets injured in the second row... I expect he'll have very little impact on the wing, or at fullback if we have to play him there as well..."

"I still can't believe we got rid of the world class international James Hassooon for this peanut to be honest... what?? Ohh yeah fair enough that was for the rubbish dummy half, my bad..."

"anyhow it's obvious that, having played at a lot of clubs and never staying put, that's he's a bit of a d*ckhead that nobody likes, and he's proven to be exactly that with lackluster training efforts and some really crap practical jokes that he thought were funny... but not even Bazza laughed and he'd just had his hair done so was in a good mood and all..."

You feeling well Komori ole mate? Anything you want to get off your chest? We are here for you.

Sounds like you are in for a fun filled 2017....

I just want to see dce running again and without the burden of trying to control every play. He is sensational when just plays instinctive. Fast, great dummy and fend and good swerve to get on his opposition"s outside to set up a center.

Couldn't do that last year. Didn't want to be tackled with the ball as needed to set up next play. Green will be really good for us. Just guide the team and let DCE, walker, Tom etc the x factor players do there thing.

So if Foran is the 5 bedroom masterpiece, Green is the 2 bedroom unit, can I extend the analagynby suggesting Walker at 5/8 is a V8 Falcon panel van with a matress in the back (can be used as a house, but not very good at it and better suited to other things)?

It should also be noted that upon closer inspection the 5 bed masterpiece turned out to be a brothel.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6