Manly playmaking 13

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Will on the hill

Bencher
Tipping Member
Some chat about DCE playing with Cliffy got me thinking about our best ever 13 made up from playmakers.

1. Andrew Walker
2. Tom Trbojevic
3. Bob Fulton
4. Jamie Lyon
5. Brett Stewart
6. Cliff Lyons
7. DCE
8. ?
9. Geoff Toovey
10. Jake Trbojevic
11. Steve Menzies
12. Nik Kosef
13. Glenn Stewart

Any suggestions for prop or anyone else I missed?

Terry Zarsoff

First Grader
Without Alan Thompson the line up cant be taken seriously.

You might want to put Ray Brown at hooker also.
You beat me to it. And he could cover every position in the backline, including fullback.

And stick his head into a scrum at lock, when scrums meant something. He was one of Manly’s greatest local juniors and probably pips Ian Martin as the Manly junior league’s greatest five eighth, with Martin excelling also as a lock.

At least Bozo got a mention, having your name on a grandstand probably helps.

Last edited:

Go manly

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
You beat me to it. And he could cover every position in the backline, including fullback.

And stick his head into a scrum at lock, when scrums meant something. He was one of Manly’s greatest local juniors and probably pips Ian Martin as the Manly junior league’s greatest five eighth, with Martin excelling also as a lock.

At least Bozo got a mention, having your name on a grandstand probably helps.
Now your talking
Great post

Go manly

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Some chat about DCE playing with Cliffy got me thinking about our best ever 13 made up from playmakers.

1. Andrew Walker
2. Tom Trbojevic
3. Bob Fulton
4. Jamie Lyon
5. Brett Stewart
6. Cliff Lyons
7. DCE
8. ?
9. Geoff Toovey
10. Jake Trbojevic
11. Steve Menzies
12. Nik Kosef
13. Glenn Stewart

Any suggestions for prop or anyone else I missed?
Malcom Reilly just must get a start in any era

bob dylan

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Andrew Walker yeah nah.

Yep made me laugh. Two dozens games for Manly and more than half of them were losses, not his fault but.....

Nocker Nortons two seasons at the club included a premiership, I'd rate Ray Brown the best ball playing forward we have had just above Norton.

Ian Thomson is another that come to mind as an excellent ball player.

Last edited:

Will on the hill

Bencher
Tipping Member
Thanks for the feedback. Here is a revised version. Please continue to point out anything you see as a mistake. Especially if I've left out players from the 80s or earlier.
1. Phil Blake
2. Tom Trbojevic
3. Bob Fulton
4. Jamie Lyon
5. Brett Stewart
6. Cliff Lyons
7. DCE
8. Ian Thompson
9. Ray Brown
10. Jake Trbojevic
11. Glenn Stewart
12. Nik Kosef
13. Mal Reilly

bob dylan

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Thanks for the feedback. Here is a revised version. Please continue to point out anything you see as a mistake. Especially if I've left out players from the 80s or earlier.
1. Phil Blake
2. Tom Trbojevic
3. Bob Fulton
4. Jamie Lyon
5. Brett Stewart
6. Cliff Lyons
7. DCE
8. Ian Thompson
9. Ray Brown
10. Jake Trbojevic
11. Glenn Stewart
12. Nik Kosef
13. Mal Reilly

Now thats a skillful side.

I reckon we might be able to improve it but my hurts if try to think on a Sunday morning. Wingers seem to be either fast big and strong but there must be someone

Just to give you some idea of my thoughts, while 100% respecting its tour team, I think Alan Thompson was every bit as good as Cliff, Id actually rate him better than just on the score of consistency. Cliffs best might of been a touch above Thommo though. Funny to think of them both have absolute shockers maybe once or twice a season. I guess thats the nature of the beast.

edit: Ian Schubert could be considered for one wing spot? Started out as a long haired try scoring winger but reinvented himself as a ball playing forward at Manly then at Wests.

Last edited:

Shoe1

Journey Man
In the black and white era:

There is footage of Arko that I have seen that shows him being pretty handy, a live wire. I will try and find it.

Frank Stanton, moved between centre and the halves.

Wally o’Connell.

manly al

First Grader
1. Phil Blake
2. Tom Trbojevic
3. Bob Fulton
4. Jamie Lyon
5. Brett Stewart
6. Cliff Lyons
7. DCE
8. Ian Thompson
9. Ray Brown
10. Jake Trbojevic
11. Glenn Stewart
12. Nik Kosef
13. Mal Reilly
Reilly , Kosef and Gifty on the score of creativity , probably the most skilled back rowers in any Manly era though Steve Norton was pretty handy as well .
Ray Brown could capably play any position in the forward pack and creative as well but probably too versatile for his own good .John Gray , good set up ability but seemed to be hampered a bit with injury during his Manly stint .
D C E would rank up there in some capacity , Cliffy and Phill Blake , some special talents but with that little bit of erratic play as well .Alan Thompson could do plenty of good things in the creative sense and playing as previously mentioned , all over the back line , .Rowdy Shearer probably deserves a mention as well , naturally creative footy player
Guess that Fulton being selected as an immortal says it all in terms of his rating in this area
Wonder how good The Shu could have been at Manly ,if things had worked out better and he was able to show his best and potential , ability and fitness wise

Shoe1

Journey Man
I think arko no 7

Honorary mention to the mule, great ball player, offloads in the 90s

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
14 11 3 103 26
14 10 4 118 24
14 10 4 78 24
15 9 6 161 20
14 8 6 60 20