Manly not troubled by Anti-doping probe (nrl.com)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Eagles2nv

DESpicable Manly
Article on NRL.com. Tooves saying we have nothing to worry about and wants ASADA to either officially clear or charge manly so we can move on. Ballin on there saying the team has full confidence in the club.

but the best line of the article:

George Rose: "I'm confident with what I do. Unless there's something wrong with KFC chicken I'm pretty sweet," he joked.

http://www.nrl.com/manly-not-troubled-by-anti-doping-probe/tabid/10874/newsid/71103/default.aspx

Eagles2nv said:
George Rose: "I'm confident with what I do. Unless there's something wrong with KFC chicken I'm pretty sweet," he joked.

http://www.nrl.com/manly-not-troubled-by-anti-doping-probe/tabid/10874/newsid/71103/default.aspx

I dunno - there's a fair amount of "growth hormones" in chickens these days isn't there??? ;)

Clint said:
Eagles2nv said:

I dunno - there's a fair amount of "growth hormones" in chickens these days isn't there??? ;)

Not since the '60s. I really hope George isn't eating chickens that are that old, but given it is KFC, who knows.

ASADA contacted Manly and said we are next.
Apparently they have there eye on 3 players and have offered the 3 to come forward and cope 6 months or face a 24 month ban.

Get ready. Telegraph at it "NEXT STOP MANLY" across back page.
Photo at
https://twitter.com/TripleM_NRL/status/311448166513913856

I guess by the time they get around to AFL and Essendon they can take their 6 months at the start of the off season.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/three-players-set-to-be-targeted-by-asada-over-use-of-banned-peptide-cjc-1295/story-e6frfgbo-1226595949936

Three players set to be targeted by ASADA over use of banned peptide CJC-1295
James Hooper EXCLUSIVE
The Daily Telegraph
March 12, 2013 11:00PM

THREE Manly players are in the crosshairs of anti-doping authorities over banned performance-enhancing peptide CJC-1295.

The Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority has told the Sea Eagles there is evidence to suggest three NRL stars face bans of up to two years.

ASADA has offered to reduce to the ban to six months in exchange for the players providing "substantial assistance".

At the Sea Eagles' Narrabeen headquarters yesterday, Manly coach Geoff Toovey maintained the club had no reason for alarm about any of its internal supplement programs or procedures despite being named as one of six NRL clubs under investigation.

But News Limited has been told Manly have been red-flagged by ASADA because three players allegedly sourced CJC-1295 away from the club's headquarters and without its consent or knowledge.

"We're one of the clubs named, so we're expecting (ASADA)," Toovey said.

"Hopefully it will be sooner rather than later. All the players and the club are looking forward to playing football and getting it out of the way."

ASADA is expected to focus on the Sea Eagles in the next month, with Manly management instructed to offer its players the same deal 14 Cronulla players were presented last week.

Effectively, it is a six-month ban for an admission of guilt.

If players are prepared to come forward and co-operate under the "substantial assistance" anti-doping clause, they can plea-bargain a ban down to six months. Roll the dice and get found guilty and they risk being rubbed out of the NRL for two years.

Toovey maintained he had full confidence in the club's in-house supplements programs and procedures during the six-year period when sports scientist Stephen Dank was employed by the Sea Eagles from 2006 to 2010.

Dank says he never used performance-enhancing substances in the NRL.

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/northern/2013/03/12/the-sharks-should-heed-chopper-reads-advice-never-plead-guilty/

Not being a scientist but a lawyer, without reading reams of scientific literature I can find out that Thymosin Beta 4 is a protein which consists of amino acids and which is found in the human body. Wikipedia is a bit more generous with CJC-1295 as it tells us that CJC-1295 is a tetrasubstituted 30-amino acid peptide hormone, primarily functioning as a growth hormone releasing hormone (GHRH) analog. Now even after trying to find out what these substances are I am still not any clearer as to whether or not Thymosin Beta 4 and CJC-1295 were actually banned in 2011.

Given that CJC-1295 is a growth hormone releasing hormone, I can begin to guess that what we are talking about is a hormone which causes the body to produce growth hormone – that is it initiates a naturally occurring bodily process.

My point here is not to get into the merits of whether or not these substances should be banned or not.

Rather it is to point out that what we have among all this hysteria that has painted the Sharks as drug cheats is that after consulting the WADA Prohibited List it is not surprising that the Sydney Morning Herald wrote that the substances were not banned.

Nor in these circumstances would it be surprising if a Sharks player was not aware of the status of the substances in question. What we have here are substances that might be banned but in order for that to be known with any degree or certainly one would need good scientific advice.

Given that most sporting clubs in this country do not employ full time medical staff the chances of a player getting any definitive answer on their status would appear nigh on impossible.

But this situation is compounded by the manner in which ASADA operate and by the manner in which the organisation’s former CEO presents himself as the media oracle. Are we really to believe that the future of the NRL is under a cloud because players may have taken something that prima facie doesn’t appear to be banned?

Are we really to believe that this is the equivalent of the Festina and Balco scandals? On top of that when we find that ASADA has been held by the Administrative Appeals Tribunal to have misconceived its powers and when it has in the past illegally accessed Medicare files of athletes should we trust that all this is being done in a fair and responsible manner?

It seems that the Sharks players are faced with a Hobson’s choice under Australia’s anti-doping legislation: Fess up now to taking something which was possibly on the Prohibited List and take a six month ban even if it wasn’t your fault – that is – fess up despite the fact that no evidence is being proffered and in circumstances were the media trial will drag on and on and on.

Or dig in and fight the case where even if you have done no wrong and you are found guilty or you will be found guilty no matter what and receive a two year ban.

At first glance the situation hardly appears fair.

But then again the Sharks should be used to that – history shows (1973 and 1978 grand finals)* that the Sharks have rarely been treated fairly.

So the real choice seems to be to give in to the demands being touted in the media, or heed the sage advice of Chopper Read.

Never Plead Guilty.

Brissie Kid said:
James Hooper EXCLUSIVE
The Daily Telegraph
March 12, 2013 11:00PM
The Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority has told the Sea Eagles there is evidence to suggest three NRL stars face bans of up to two years.

Interestingly worded sentence.

Brissie Kid said:
"Toovey maintained he had full confidence in the club's in-house supplements programs and procedures during the six-year period when sports scientist Stephen Dank was employed by the Sea Eagles from 2006 to 2010."

If treated as inclusive, 2006 to 2010 is 5 years not 6. Shoddy shoddy shoddy.

6 months effectively = this entire season and you would be a self confessed drug cheat.
2 years = this season and next season IF they have enough evidence, and you could maintain your innocence and try to salvage your reputation, even if convicted.

I can't understand why anyone would take the 6 months.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/assistant-to-sports-scientist-stephen-dank-named-the-gazelle-key-figure-in-asada-nrl-doping-investigation/story-e6frfgbo-1226595923966

Josh Massoud EXCLUSIVE
The Daily Telegraph
March 12, 2013 11:30PM

A MYSTERY assistant of sports scientist Stephen Dank has emerged as the key figure in ASADA's probe into Cronulla and Manly.

News Limited can reveal that Dank didn't work alone during his six-year tenure at Brookvale. He engaged the help of an alleged supplement expert known among players and coaching staff as "The Gazelle".

Dank has denied ever using performance-enhancing substances in the NRL.

It's also emerged that former Sharks head trainer Trent Elkin, now at Parramatta, has hired ex-ARL chairman and solicitor Colin Love to guide him through the ASADA interviews and potential fallout.

While Cronulla has absorbed the brunt of public scrutiny, Manly officials have also been in recent talks with ASADA investigators.

Sea Eagles coach Geoff Toovey yesterday reaffirmed his confidence the club would be cleared of any wrongdoing.

But individual players are another question altogether.

A significant portion of ASADA's inquiry has focused on players who maintained private contact with Dank or any of his colleagues. It's believed the Australian Crime Commission (ACC) has used phone taps to identify them.

And they will face punishment for simply purchasing or being in possession of banned substances, should ASADA be able to prove so through credit card or internet records.

Sharks insiders have also been told that Dank used an assistant during his brief stint at the club in 2011.

According to a former Manly player, who yesterday spoke on the condition of anonymity, "The Gazelle" had links to a large national supplement retailer.

It's believed former head coach Des Hasler warned him away from the club before Dank's departure at the end of 2010. But concerns are rife that "The Gazelle" stayed in contact with certain players and Manly could face difficulties should it be established they used, purchased or possessed banned supplements with his assistance.

All six clubs named in the ACC report have also received further information from the NRL's integrity unit.

Illegal peptides CJC-1295, GHRP-6 and beta thymosin have been mentioned in the documentation.

Toovey declined to comment when asked about "The Gazelle's" association with Manly, and Sea Eagles officials did not return calls last night.

But speaking earlier, Toovey expressed his conviction there were no systemic issues at Manly.

"We were one of the clubs named, so we're expecting (it, and) hopefully it will be sooner rather than later," Toovey said. "We've got no problems with our procedures at the club. We're quite confident with things that happened within the club at that time."

Love was spotted at Parramatta yesterday, where the Eels continue to stand behind Elkin. All indications suggest he will work the sidelines in tomorrow night's clash against Canterbury.

Pretty easy one. Call in asada take the 6 months and be back for the semis.

Seriously though who at Asada leaks this to the media, am I the only one who feels Asada are attention whores who like to justify their existence

Say if a player has the balls to fight this and it's found that ASADA illegally obtained that players Medicare records - wouldn't every other case fall over then like a domino effect?

RL Gronk said:
Pretty easy one. Call in asada take the 6 months and be back for the semis.

Seriously though who at Asada leaks this to the media, am I the only one who feels Asada are attention whores who like to justify their existence

This another thing that's got me wondering isn't it a breach of confidentiality?

Also say if they release something to the media with a player seeing Dank isn't that also a breach of Doctor/Patient confidentiality?

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2