Manly need a marquee game at ANZ each year

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Brissie Kid

Bencher
I see on Easter Monday afternoon that Eels are playing Tigpies at ANZ. This was an unused time & I'm not surprised a club has jumped on it. Being Easter Monday they get all the Easter Show transport options to help fans get there. Last year on Good Friday afternoon Souths/Dogs got 50K.

But Manly? What are we doing?

In England & France many of the top RU clubs have taken a home game to a big stadium and turned into an event. Many of their fans and even non-fans just go to this one match. These are clubs that normally have home grounds like Brookie with similar crowd numbers to Manly. For a one-off game they are getting 70K-80K at Wembly or Twickenham.

If Manly had one game every season at ANZ on the same day they could really build it so every Manly fan in Sydney would go. We know they exist as they go to the grand final there.

But it needs to have the full Olympic transport system available to make it work. The cheapest way to do that is to pick a spot during the Easter Show dates. Unfortunately Good Friday arvo and Easter Monday arvo are now gone. This year the Show is Thursday 10th to Wed 23rd which is NRL Rds 6 & 7.

I just think Manly are missing out on a big opportunity. Easter Monday afternoon was just sitting there empty.

I went to a Manly v Souths game a few years back during the Easter Show.

The problem is twofold, Security now throw out commercial food /drink items and kids are tired and troublesome after the hype of the Show. Try getting their prized showbags off them!

It will be interesting to see how this year's games will go :cool:

The SCG had 24k seated fans, rainswept Leichhardt had 16k mainly standing. A clear preferance shown for local homegrounds despite the lack of facilities.

we would only get a bigger crowd if we make it a home game for our poosition fans. Will not get more than 12K manly fans there

I'd be happier attending matches at ANZ than at Gosford.
When does our contract run out with Graeme Park/Bluetongue/Central Coast Stadium (or whatever it is called)?

There is no current contract. It ran out 2 years ago from memory.

Probably a silly dream but I still think making an effort to once a season put in a call to all Manly fans to show support and fill ANZ is worth the effort. The money from 80K at ANZ is worth nearly a season at Brookie. A lot of fans who won't become members and who don't go to Brookie might just get off their couch for one game if it is hyped up as an event and a way to support Manly.

Saracens make it an entertainment event as well as the game. Last week they got over 83000 to Wembley.

Saracens aim to play two matches at Wembley each season and have always enjoyed a rich tradition and success at hosting matches and creating great entertainment at the iconic venue.

The club has played ten times at the national stadium since September 2009, creating ten memorable occasions… winning six times, hosting entertainers like McFly, The Saturdays, Chipmunk, Tinchy Stryder, Eliza Doolittle, Ronan Parke, Diversity, Right Said Fred and the cast of War Horse, producing spectacles with tightrope walkers, flame-throwers, gymnasts and mass choirs, engaging and exciting youngsters who have marched in the Pride and Unity parades and danced on the pitch, attracting VIPs such as Prince Harry.

Saracens last outing at Wembley was on Friday 18th October 2013, in which the club played Toulouse and set a new UK and Ireland Heineken Cup Pool attendance of 61,248.

http://www.saracens.com/wembley-old/history/

mave said:

Then why do we still take two games there?
Someone will respond 'money?' Specifically, how much? And who pays it? I didn't think Singleton was still involved? Surely the local Gosford Council wouldn't pay.

Brissie Kid said:
Probably a silly dream but I still think making an effort to once a season put in a call to all Manly fans to show support and fill ANZ is worth the effort. The money from 80K at ANZ is worth nearly a season at Brookie. A lot of fans who won't become members and who don't go to Brookie might just get off their couch for one game if it is hyped up as an event and a way to support Manly.

It's called the finals

The Who said:
mave said:

Then why do we still take two games there?
Someone will respond 'money?' Specifically, how much? And who pays it? I didn't think Singleton was still involved? Surely the local Gosford Council wouldn't pay.

Singleton is definitely out.

We used to get 100k minimum just for turning up. Don't know what the current arrangement is, but given there has been a huge drop off in matches up here from all previously regular teams since Singleton threw his toys out of the cot, I would assume the figure is a lot less these days.

Reading between the lines though, the Club only announced the Cowboys game on Good Friday fairly late as they were waiting for the China/Hong Kong match against Canberra to be definitely knocked on the head for this year at least, and they had already gone ahead and sold 10 match packages to Brookie Home Games.

Brissie Kid said:
Shoe1 said:
It's called the finals

All the money from a semi, final or grand final goes to the NRL. Club gets nothing.

This is the biggest scam, and I'm surprised that the Clubs aren't up in arms over this.

They pay the Players that supply the entertainment, that the NRL gets 100% revenue from with zero risk. Should a Team lose a Player with some long term injury, they are assured of another Club being in the finals :huh:

HappilyManly said:
This is the biggest scam, and I'm surprised that the Clubs aren't up in arms over this.

They pay the Players that supply the entertainment, that the NRL gets 100% revenue from with zero risk. Should a Team lose a Player with some long term injury, they are assured of another Club being in the finals :huh:

Especially as the media bag the marketing department of a club that draws badly for a semi or final, choosing to forget or just ignore it is the NRL marketing that should be doing it. The clubs have no real incentive to push crowd numbers up for a semi or final.

I still think that Clubs should always promote an event as it creates a market for their merchandise.

But agree that the NRL do sweet FA for the finals, as the doubling of the GF prices proved last year :mad:

I agree we need a big game. But for it to work, tickets must be included in the memberships for the season ticket holders like the Golden, Maroon, and White Wings members.

A few that could work:

Manly v Parra at the SCG
Manly v Easts at the SFS on Easter Saturday Arvo
Manly v Wests, build it up big like the Silvertails v Fibros

All three could get crowds of over 30,000 if they are built up properly by the clubs, the NRL, and the TV networks.

Increasing the price of Membership to include an away game will not be appreciated.

We already had this when a Gosford Game was included and most locals couldn't attend.

It will disenfranchise more than would take up a Season Ticket Membership. :cool:

It is 2014.
Why not include it as an optional extra.

I want to know why I can't buy a season ticket for all Manly games, home and away, through the NRL, and they can distribute the funds accordingly.
Save all the bullcrap trying to log into different websites, etc,etc every three weeks. Happy to have GA for all non Brookie games.

Why is this not an option?
It would also encourage those people that have purchased these tickets to get out to away games, potentially increasing crowd numbers.

sheridanstand78 said:
I would like to see 10 games at Brooky and the play 2 games at the SCG against a traditional rival and one game in SE Queensland to reward the many fans we have up there.

A few years ago we took our home match with the Bonkos to Suncorp. Mark organised a tour for the travelling supporters, and we sat in great seats normally reserved for Bonko members. What's more, we smashed them that night. There was also a pre-match and a post-match function. It was great.
I think a repeat of this event would generate good revenue for the club. The marketing team would have to coax Mark out of 'retirement' to ensure the promotion was handled professionally. . . .
He's probably getting bored in retirement, by now!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6