Manly must re-sign Brett Stewart, says Arko

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
COACH Geoff Toovey says the Sea Eagles are doing everything they can to re-sign star fullback Brett Stewart.
Manly's godfather Ken Arthurson says they only need to do what he asks.

Stewart wants a four-year deal and yesterday he reminded Manly fans of just how important he is, scoring a try and setting up two more in his 150th NRL game.

But the Sea Eagles are thought to prefer a three-year deal, which could force Stewart to head overseas on a rich rugby union deal.

"Brett Stewart is Manly," Arthurson said. "They should give him four years. If he leaves, it would be a travesty.

"Manly fans will be up in arms. Whatever they do, Manly have to hang on to him.

"Brett Stewart is the heart and soul of Manly. He is without doubt the club's favourite player.

"I am sure they could put a provision in his contract that if he can't play in the final season through injuries, they could re-negotiate."

Arthurson said Stewart is Manly's finest fullback since the great Graham Eadie.

"I am not saying he is better," Arthurson said.

"Everyone knows what I think of 'Wombat' (Eadie).

"Wombat is one of the all-time greats but I put Brett Stewart in that category."

Toovey was reluctant to comment after yesterday's 52-14 win against the Roosters.

"I don't want to talk about that," Toovey said. "We are doing our best to retain Brett. That's all I can say."

Pressed on whether Stewart wanted to remain, Toovey said: "I am sure he does."

Stewart has been chosen as NSW fullback for Wednesday week's Origin decider.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/manly-must-re-sign-brett-stewart-says-ken-arthurson/story-fnbgzqp2-1226407085855

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2