"Manly is a great old football club"

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Brissie Kid

Bencher
April 10, 2013
Phil Gould

5. Manly is a great old football club
Growing up in Sydney back in the day, it was commonplace for Manly to be the most hated team in the league. Maybe it was the ‘‘Silvertails versus Fibros’’ rivalry of the ’70s. Perhaps it was the open cheque book style of recruitment that stole gifted players from less wealthy clubs. Maybe it was old commentator Rex Mossop’s favouritism towards his beloved Sea Eagles on Sunday night Big League on the TV. Whatever the reason, everyone just booed Manly. These days though I find myself loving Manly. The club went through some tough times. They remained humble, fought their way back and lifted themselves to the top of the table once more. Here they are again this year, written off by many before the season started, playing as well as ever.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/patience-please-steve-price-shows-why-hes-the-real-deal-20130409-2hjjf.html

I don't mind Gus, if Slothfiled said this I'd almost spew, but yeah Gus how's the Riff going??

I laugh when I hear Gen Y & Z kids saying they hate Manly, I ask why & they can't give a reason.

They're sheep & often supporters of clubs starved of success.

Mals said:
I laugh when I hear Gen Y & Z kids saying they hate Manly, I ask why & they can't give a reason.

It's almost like our culture and behavior encourages people to go along with the crowd and not exercise their individual thoughts and opinions.

Kiwi Eagle said:
manlyfan76 said:
Meanwhile penriff keep sinking. Good job Gus.

He has always been quite open about 2015 being the year they can start being competitive

We didn't build from nothing til finals overnight

Yes but penriff arnt building they are going backwards every year that Gus has been there. I'm a fan of Gus and I think that due to the masses of juniors out that way they will have to be competitive in the future, fact is they keep going backwards. And to your point I would argue that we came from a worse spot with NE.

MANLY IS THE GREATEST FOOTBALL CLUB !!!

manlyfan76 said:
I don't think anyone hates Gus.
I have met Gus and he is down to earth and a good guy . He actually told me that Manly is one of the great clubs that he admires

Mals said:

Do this Y and Z you speak of play for the Bulldogs? And did either of them sleep with A's wife?

I can still go to pubs and my mates remind me about Manly in the 70s Greg Hartley buying players from other teams with a bucket load of cash , I just shake my head and laugh its only the likes of Mike Gibson etc that rewind the time machine to stir the pot GOD IT WAS 40 YEARS AGO.

manlyfan76 said:
Kiwi Eagle said:
manlyfan76 said:
Meanwhile penriff keep sinking. Good job Gus.

He has always been quite open about 2015 being the year they can start being competitive

We didn't build from nothing til finals overnight

Yes but penriff arnt building they are going backwards every year that Gus has been there. I'm a fan of Gus and I think that due to the masses of juniors out that way they will have to be competitive in the future, fact is they keep going backwards. And to your point I would argue that we came from a worse spot with NE.

I don't agree, it is only his 2nd full year at place

In that time they have started to clear out some of the deadwood and high overpaid players and set about building a culture into the club, targeting the likes of Kite etc to help build that foundation.

They are using a pretty clear plan out there, that will take time but will reap the rewards

In the last half a decade at least he's always been full of praise for Manly.

I think Penrith are certainly on a winner having him there, great football brain. Sure his commentary can be annoying at times, but not many people know Rugby League like Gus.

We got to remember he is CEO of the Panthers not the coach of the nrl team.

What he's got going for him -
U16s into the finals
U18s into the finals
U20s leading the comp
Windsor going well
The juniors are going that well that he's changing it around - Windsor will now be the 2nds (most nrl clubs it's the 20s) to get kids ready for the nrl quicker.
Nrl are the only ones struggling.
Nrl signing a few handy players for next season.
Crowds are ordinary at the moment due to poor results

I think it was he who recruited the coach though. The trouble with the Riff is results. My brother was a fan but got heartily sick of watching the team throw away games. He doesn't go anymore. They might have things going for them in the younger ranks but fans come through the gates to see a team win, or at let be competitive. And you don't endear yourself to fans by chucking out players from the local area. All these younger guys will drift off if he continues to recruit from outside the district.. 8 thousand fans attending is not good for that area. and I've never liked the opinionated creature.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6