Manly in Crisis (a mega thread)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

#crisis ??

• Yes

Votes: 111 55.0%
  • No

Votes: 91 45.0%

• Total voters
Even Macbeth was smart enough to at least close the door. For some reason in rugby league they like doing the murders in public.

Even if talk of Des suing was a pure media beat-up, to me the fact he has apparently not made any attempt to deny it would make it impossible for the club to retain him. He will have to go, or this will be the only story in NRL for the whole of 2022 - 2023.

That would leave our Captain and senior players in the position of having to declare "Now we love Anthony just as much!" which they might find embarrassing.

This thing has a way to go yet and I reckon it won't get prettier.

Even if talk of Des suing was a pure media beat-up,

Yeah, Nah ... it was a great opening broadside by Dessie ... he has now put them on notice that if they want to pay him out next week ... he is looking for 2 years in lieu ... not the one year that they thought ...

If they were going to sack him ... now they have to either negotiate a higher settlement ... or risk a court case hanging out a lot of dirty laundry ...

Dessie is showing more talent and enthusiasm for the tactics of getting a dollar ... than he did for the tactics on the footy field ..

Last edited:
Yeah, Nah ... it was a great opening broadside by Dessie ... he has now put them on notice that if they want to pay him out next week ... he is looking for 2 years in lieu ... not the one year that they thought ...

If they were going to sack him ... now they have to either negotiate a higher settlement ... or risk a court case hanging out a lot of dirty laundry ...

Dessie is showing more talent and enthusiasm for the tactics getting a dollar ... than he for the tactics on the footy field ..
He’s a master at that art , just ask the Bulldogs

Dessie is showing more talent and enthusiasm for the tactics getting a dollar ... than he for the tactics on the footy field ..
You're right. If he is behind even half the media leaks, his attack and defence strategy seems more effective off the field than on.

One thing that is getting easier - accepting the notion of walking away from season membership.
I was born a Manly supporter and have remained one for 50 years. Up until this season, it had never occurred to me that not only could I walk away, but that I might actually want to.

It's been one giant cluster**** of a year and my enthusiasm for the club, the coach and the players has all but evaporated. Weirdly enough, the sole highlight of the year for me was cheering the 17 blokes who showed up and wore the rainbow hoops and at least made the Roosters work for the game. Otherwise, the only times I enjoyed watching rugby league was when we weren't on the field.

And really, if the owners don't care about the club, and the coach doesn't care about the club, and the players don't care about the club, why should I?

I think the coach does care, but the conditions that he must adhere to (if as reported), would test anyone’s resolve (see below).

These idiots, led by Penn, have apparently learnt nothing from the Barrett saga.

It seems Hasler’s greatest ‘mistake’ was to exhibit the moral courage that the Jo’burg Interim CEO (Wolman), and ‘Custard Spine’ Penn lacked - when Des fronted the media during the Pride jersey fiasco, on their unwilling behalf. He pointed the blame at management. Now he has to go. Another ‘vendetta driven decision’ from Penn.

He left last time around because he wanted the resources to keep the club on the ‘bow wave’ of footballing innovation to stay competitive against powerhouses like Melbourne and the re-emergent Roosters, et al. Penn was apparently the big financial stumbling block back then. Looks like nothing has changed.

You can see how the club has fallen behind from where it was c.2008-11. That’s Penn’s fault. Not Hasler’s.

Last edited:
I think the coach does care, but the conditions that he must adhere to (if as reported), would test anyone’s resolve (see below).

These idiots, led by Penn, have apparently learnt nothing from the Barrett saga.

It seems Hasler’s greatest ‘mistake’ was to exhibit the moral courage that the Jo’burg Interim CEO (Wolman), and ‘Custard Spine’ Penn lacked - when Des fronted the media prior to the last Roosters’ game, on their unwilling behalf.

He left last time around because he wanted the resources to keep the club on the ‘bow wave’ of footballing innovation to stay competitive against powerhouses like Melbourne and the re-emergent Roosters, et al. Penn was apparently the big financial stumbling block back then. Looks like nothing has changed.

You can see how the club has fallen behind from where it was c.2008-11. That’s Penn’s fault. Not Hasler’s.

Yes we finished 11th this year... suboptimal.

But... to me it's amazing it has escalated to this point only 12 months after we finished 4th and made the preliminary final.

As you implied it is not too dissimilar to Geoff Toovey getting the boot after finishing 9th in 2015 (being a results driven business and all)... then we finished 13th in 2016, scraped into the finals in 2017, then were extremely lucky to avoid the spoon in 2018.

I hope the owners will feel vindicated because I have a feeling we might not be so lucky this time.

I wont support private ownership unless i see some benefit for the club. As the clubs communication has always been piss poor, my self drawn conclusion is that my membership dollars reduces the loss penn clains at tax time, and improves the club in no way whatsover.. Go Manly, not Scotty

I made that decision some time back as the attitude has been there for some time . The old club, maxi D , i would support to my back teeth. Thats when it still had soul.and manly meant something from top to bottom

Now its just seems to be some rich kids wank thing, who isnt really concerned with the sausage roll slappers that dug the well,

business only ever moves for money. The best strategy would be to get manly members to contribute en masses there membership dollars to a charity insted of membership . Get it visible , on line , rack it up, make it newsworthy. i get ticketed members still want seats but they could still throw some coin in . Or if some better minds find a better location fir the coin that benefits manly, maybe better insurance for junior league in the area

Worth considering though, is I presume the NRL could step in, if it got bad enough, as the franchise or owner could be seen as damaging the brand.

I wont support private ownership unless i see some benefit for the club. As the clubs communication has always been piss poor, my self drawn conclusion is that my membership dollars reduces the loss penn clains at tax time, and improves the club in no way whatsover.. Go Manly, not Scotty

I made that decision some time back as the attitude has been there for some time . The old club, maxi D , i would support to my back teeth. Thats when it still had soul.and manly meant something from top to bottom

Now its just seems to be some rich kids wank thing, who isnt really concerned with the sausage roll slappers that dug the well,

business only ever moves for money. The best strategy would be to get manly members to contribute en masses there membership dollars to a charity insted of membership . Get it visible , on line , rack it up, make it newsworthy. i get ticketed members still want seats but they could still throw some coin in . Or if some better minds find a better location fir the coin that benefits manly, maybe better insurance for junior league in the area

Worth considering though, is I presume the NRL could step in, if it got bad enough, as the franchise or owner could be seen as damaging the brand.
I fear the opposite

The NRL will be desperate to get rid of a Sydney club and go back to 16 teams or use the licence for another state.

We all withdraw , the club could fold .

I fear the opposite

The NRL will be desperate to get rid of a Sydney club and go back to 16 teams or use the licence for another state.

We all withdraw , the club could fold .
its possible but fan backlask over owner and a 250 k hit to a club isnt really franchise breaking IMO. Its how you withdraw thats important . Diverting money to junior league , that manly doesn't support , but benefits from, is hardly the deal breaking story the NRL wants to be on the other side of

Pretty sure there is a plan for 18 teams to increase revenue anyway . Less teams was the old CEO

do you think 1000 membership dollars, while pledging to return once the club sorted stuff out would void our agreement. this **** happens at parramatta every board meeting

isnt the footy club buying it back 50 cents at a time .

As we all know, memberships of Sea Eagles are not really memberships at all, but merely advance ticket packages with a cap and maybe lanyard thrown in. Zero voting rights as 'members' of Sea Eagles.

Your campaign might productively be to encourage everyone to instead donate to the MWDRLFC - which could then afford to buy a few more shares back from Penn!

But frankly, organising such a campaign would be very difficult. If you have the time, give it a crack by all means :)

However this will all be resolved (one way or the other) within a week or 2 max, meaning fan outrage will probably quickly dissipate and be replaced by a tide of relief and false optimism. I admire your 'let's do something' attitude but other than through the Football Club it seems overly hard to me.

As we all know, memberships of Sea Eagles are not really memberships at all, but merely advance ticket packages with a cap and maybe lanyard thrown in. Zero voting rights as 'members' of Sea Eagles.

Your campaign might productively be to encourage everyone to instead donate to the MWDRLFC - which could then afford to buy a few more shares back from Penn!

But frankly, organising such a campaign would be very difficult. If you have the time, give it a crack by all means :)

However this will all be resolved (one way or the other) within a week or 2 max, meaning fan outrage will probably quickly dissipate and be replaced by a tide of relief and false optimism. I admire your 'let's do something' attitude but other than through the Football Club it seems overly hard to me.
steady up fella , im an ideas man

The simple facts are as follows,

Our opinions mean **** all.
Our ideas , whilst good , mean Nada.
Our money , whilst important , isn’t a deal breaker.
Our whinging is only loved by the media, otherwise it falls on deaf ears.

As others have said , whatever will be will be and you can either accept it or **** off!!

As I’ve said a dozen times , I support the Brand & the Logo. Players come and go , coaches come and go , CEO’s come and go , fans are the only ones completely rusted on.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4