Manly in Crisis (a mega thread)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

#crisis ??

• Yes

Votes: 111 55.0%
  • No

Votes: 91 45.0%

• Total voters
The owner is a complete ****wit, we have a top 3 player in league out for 3/4 of season and he plonked the jumper farce on Des. I have many problems is Dessie including picking plodders but 2021 was not on him
What about this year?

This is the beginning of Dessie's 5th year .... that means

.. he has had 4 pre-seasons to get a fit team ....
.. he has 4 years with largely the same squad to coach, structure and shape ....
.. he has had 4 years to recruit and build the team he wants ...
.. he has had 4 years to work on internal relationships and build team work ..

And the result going into his 5th year ... is we are rooted, the club is in the worst state I have seen in 60 years ... and winning some games next year is not going to fix or change things ...

Elmer Fudd and Daffy Duck would be an improvement ...
Worse than the years after the failed merger?
Worse than the year we finished second last only to south’s?
Again I am not saying we are going to win the comp but if you put turbo in that team we make the 8 which is about the best we can hope to achieve with the current ownership structure

Worse than the years after the failed merger?
Worse than the year we finished second last only to south’s?
Again I am not saying we are going to win the comp but if you put turbo in that team we make the 8 which is about the best we can hope to achieve with the current ownership structure

Yes ... because at in all those times there was still hope ... still a belief that regardless of current circumstances... the fundamental strength and ability of the Manly DNA to excel would be triumphant ...

When a grown man and veteran coach is playing no talkies with a dysfunctional narcissistic owner in a game of egos ... it just seems that the Manly gene has died away ..

From my observations, Des doesn't don the number 13 and run out on the field every week. He tries to get a bunch of Man Babys to knock 10 tonnes of ****e out of the opposition to get a result.

I would be all for dumping Des quick smart had 2022 been a relatively Injury and crisis-free campaign and we had have ended how we did.

However, Facts are 2022 will forever go down as a huge injury and issue-laden season which DIRECTLY led to the results.

The owner has no ****ing Idea.
The owner may own the club but Des owns the team

From my observation Des is responsible for lifting his players and bringing the best out of his team with affective game plans team selections and affective motivation

Coaches either get their teams to excel expectations , meet expectations or fail expectations
And Des gets an "F" for failing expectations

Enjoy coach seibold. I'm out go redcliffe

I know you're upset mate - but this meeting could be Des, with Siebold as his assistant, and what's wrong with that? Then Des moves into a directorship role, with say Hannay coming in to be assistant later - everyone is happy, everything is settled.

Stick around man, keep the faith, these issues come and go in cycles. We'll be perfectly fine down the road. You're a Manly man, through and through. We need your support, membership and loyalty right now mate.

Besides, we won't let ya go, champion.

So could be missing something but uneasiness seems to revolve around Des wanting one or two more seasons after next year . Penn wanting some provisions for another option if results or team performance levels are not that good next season or even in the initial stages . Then the matter of quite considerable pay out requirements if things were not progressing well with any contract extension arrangements . Again, just may be better all round to see how things are going in the i st quarter or so of next season . Can see also the understandable preference for a bit of stability all round in the short term but probably will be even more instability and uncertainty if an extension is given now and the relatively poor outcomes [ even allowing for injuries ] for season 22 can not be turned around to some improved situation into early next season . Penn and Des intent to look after their own perceived interests but maybe Penn directly or indirectly , is also taking into account the clubs best interests at least from an improved team results perspective .

If des gets booted I'm done it's that simple. The coach isn't the issue the owner is.

I agree to a degree as well. I honestly don't think that happens.

1. Siebold is a hothead, and doesn't bow down to pressures. He won't be pushed around by Penn, and I bet has Des back the whole way. He also knows the modern game. He may also entice some players from the bunnies / broncos stocks (because he's not so far removed);
2. Des continues to coach for a year or two, remains part of the club. We SURE as hell know he won't bow down to Scott's demands or pressures. Him, with Siebold (who DOES have Manly DNA and is a local) will form a ruthless one / two punch. Players will certainly know who's boss;
3. Third, you'd have to give credit to Penn here, because one, he'd know the take no **** people he's employed here, two - he'd have opened his purse strings to facilitate two experienced operators, three, he's settled the club, and considered succession so there isn't any drama.

THIS, is what I think will happen. You'd be happy with this mate, surely? If all that happens, let's see the media put a negative spin on THAT. hehe

Stick around bud, we love ya.

If des gets booted I'm done it's that simple. The coach isn't the issue the owner is.
Since 1947 Manly people have come and gone

Players coaches and officials come and Go

But the spirit of the club will always remain because Loyal Manly people always remain though the tough times and Good times

The moral of the story
No one is bigger than our Legendary club and True Manly people never walk out of their club

I have met Scott Penn. I do have some understanding of his business and I genuinely like him and think he is a very good business man. I also have met Des and I very much like him and think he is has done a wonderful job in both his stints.

It’s hard watching this. I don’t understand why they can’t get on the same page. Des has made 2 of 4 semis in his second stint with enormous headwinds. Why won’t we back him.

Scott has made 3 from 8 semis with three different coaches since 2015. That’s on him.
Russell Crowe is a good actor (so they say) yet he runs a great football club. Being a great businessman doesn't necessarily equate to success on the field. I don't rate Scott Penns ability to run Manly successfully.

THIS, is what I think will happen.
What will happen is a change is coming with Des or without him

Nothing is permanent in life success or failure and it all comes in cycles

The cycle will turn and and Loyal Manly will be rewarded with success as they always have

I agree to a degree as well. I honestly don't think that happens.

1. Siebold is a hothead, and doesn't bow down to pressures. He won't be pushed around by Penn, and I bet has Des back the whole way. He also knows the modern game. He may also entice some players from the bunnies / broncos stocks (because he's not so far removed);
2. Des continues to coach for a year or two, remains part of the club. We SURE as hell know he won't bow down to Scott's demands or pressures. Him, with Siebold (who DOES have Manly DNA and is a local) will form a ruthless one / two punch. Players will certainly know who's boss;
3. Third, you'd have to give credit to Penn here, because one, he'd know the take no **** people he's employed here, two - he'd have opened his purse strings to facilitate two experienced operators, three, he's settled the club, and considered succession so there isn't any drama.

THIS, is what I think will happen. You'd be happy with this mate, surely? If all that happens, let's see the media put a negative spin on THAT. hehe

Stick around bud, we love ya.
I sort of like all that in theory but like some, I do have reservations about Seibold. Being the "assistant" would be great in order to get a gauge on what he brings to the table and if he is a longer term proposition. But do you think Des could handle such a profile coach under his "tutelage"?

I sort of like all that in theory but like some, I do have reservations about Seibold. Being the "assistant" would be great in order to get a gauge on what he brings to the table and if he is a longer term proposition. But do you think Des could handle such a profile coach under his "tutelage"?

Yep, and I also think the lines of command from the coaches to players will much more clear and concise.

Russell Crowe is a good actor (so they say) yet he runs a great football club. Being a great businessman doesn't necessarily equate to success on the field. I don't rate Scott Penns ability to run Manly successfully.
Both Scott Penn and Crowe have one premiership win under their ownership

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8