Manly in Crisis (a mega thread)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

#crisis ??

• Yes

Votes: 111 55.0%
  • No

Votes: 91 45.0%

• Total voters
I'd still hold onto Croker and Burbo. Croker because even if we secure a top hooker, he is a hard worker that we need at least as a back up. Burbo will improve. He's only just turned 21 and will build up into probably a fast rangey second rower
Id resign sipley too..I really liked what he had to offer in am otherwise disappointing pack this year

I'm probably being overly critical but I'd only keep.
Croker
Parker
Garrick
Weeks
Fulton
There may be some upside to some of the others but there's no one that I feel can't easily be replaced and I'm keen for some fresh blood to change things up a bit.
Keepers
Garrick
Weeks
Fulton

That is a very inexperienced and incomplete spine! I wouldn’t want to be going into 2023 with that lineup

No offence! Just sayin’

Potentially I like that backline though I'd have DCE at half at this stage. I suspect Weekes and Koula could make one hell of a good partnership if they continue to develop. Need someone though to share with Croker at hooker. I'd risk Tong. I wouldnt expect to win the comp in '23 but they'd move up the table and promise bigger things in a year or so.. Definitely need one or two hold no prisoners forwards.

The boys never looked happier
If that's as happy as they can get then that's a real shame .....

I wish they were celebrating a premiership. I reckon they'd look happier than that?

So out of this lot who would you re-sign

Manly players facing uncertain futures​

Toafofoa Sipley - 2023
Lachlan Croker - 2023
Brad Parker - 2023
Reuben Garrick - 2023
Morgan Harper - 2023
Ethan Bullemor - 2023
Ben Trbojevic - 2023
Kaeo Weekes - 2023
Zac Fulton - off contract
Raymond Tuaimalo Vaega - off contract
James Segeyaro - off contract
Morgan Boyle - off contract
Kurt de Luis - off contract
Alfred Smalley - off contract
James Roumanos - off contract
Sipley although not a 20min forward, has great leg drive and showed enough to be retained. Crocker what he lacks in attack he makes up for this in spades, as a solid defender.
Parker our best defender in the backline, and a good foil for Kuala.
Weeks great injury cover for any backline injuries
Burbo work in progress, I'd see how he goes in 23 before making a final decision.
Fulton the one off game showed what he was capable off.
Vaega & Smalley, 50/50 who to keep old fashioned strength wingers, keep one for depth.

RATINGS: THE BIG GUNS WHO FAILED IN MANLY’S DRAMATIC FALL

- David Riccio and Michael Carayannis

Manly’s best player this season will be running around for another team in 2023 and the Sea Eagles are in all sorts off the field as they try and fight their way back to finals footy.

There were some bright spots for the northern beaches outfit in 2022, but is it enough for Des Hasler — assuming he remains the coach — to plot a top-eight finish?

NRL experts David Riccio and Michael Carayannis rate Manly’s top 25 players this season.

1. Kieran Foran

Five-eighth

Games: 24. Wins: 9.

Key stat: 20 line break assists.

Contract status: Signed with the Titans

The Sea Eagles’ surprise decision to move him on at the end of the season could come back to bite the club. Was one of the bargain buys of the season and proved every inch his worth playing in all 24 matches. Now off to the Titans on a two-year deal worth about $800,000. Has been the glue in a fractured Manly playing group. Showed how widely respected he is by his peers after picking up the club’s players’ player gong.

2. Daly Cherry-Evans

Halfback

Games: 22. Wins: 7.

Key stat: 20 try assists.

Contract status: Signed until end of 2025

Started the year on fire. Sat in seventh on the Dally M player of the year award leaderboard – six behind top placed Ben Hunt but would have struggled to make a dent in the back half of the season. Like Manly, his form fell away when the season reached the halfway point – playing in just two winning performances from round 13. Still one of the best halves in the game. Was given a new contract extension.

3. Lachlan Croker

Hooker

Games: 23. Wins: 9.

Key stat: 39.6 tackles per game.

Contract status: Signed until end of 2023

Manly’s undervalued player who they continue to get great value for money for. Picked up the club’s player of the year award and that was largely off the back of his consistent performances. Not one to ever create headline moments on the field he just goes about his business quietly. Has really made the dummy half position his own and is a reliable performer.

4. Haumole Olakau’atu

Backrow

Games: 21. Wins: 8.

Key stat: 100 tackle busts in 21 games.

Contract status: Signed until end of 2024

His six Dally M votes had him second behind Cherry-Evans for Sea Eagles players when the public counting stopped. Scored 10 tries this season including a purple patch where he crossed for five tries in four games in the opening eight weeks of the season. Damaging edge player who was on the cusp of Origin selection but wanted to represent Tonga.

5. Jake Trbojevic

Lock

Games: 20. Wins: 9.

Key stat: 1.6 missed tackles per game.

Contract status: Signed until end of 2026

Once again the heart and soul of the Manly club. Had the rare chance to captain the side this year and like always gave everything in every match. An injury robbed him of the final three matches of the year but by that point the season was long gone. Would benefit from taking the line on more instead of being that ballplayer in the middle of the field.

6. Reuben Garrick

Winger/fullback

Games: 21. Wins: 9.

Key stat: 149 running metres per game

Mr Reliable who again proved invaluable to the side following the injury of Tom Trbojevic. That shifted him from the wing into fullback but he showed he is more than capable of playing in the no.1 jersey. Struggled with an ongoing hip injury but played through the pain as he knew Manly were battling with injuries. It was a shoulder injury which eventually meant his season came to a premature end.

7. Dylan Walker

Utility

Games: 23. Wins: 9.

Key stat: 20 post-contact metres per game.

Contract status: Joining the Warriors on three-year deal

Played a few roles for the Sea Eagles this season but was predominantly used off the interchange bench as a middle forward. Also spent time at centre and hooker. He thrived in his new super sub role and was a rare consistent performer in his last season at the club. Took up a big money offer to join the Warriors from next season.

8. Tom Trbojevic

Fullback

Games: 7.Wins: 3.

Key stat: 17 games missed.

Contract status: Signed until end of 2026

Once Trbojevic left the field with his arm in a sling against Parramatta in round 11 it was fair to say Manly’s premiership chances were over. Off the back of one of the most remarkable seasons last year, it was always going to be difficult for the superstar fullback to replicate that form. He was brilliant in the opening stages of the season but was unable to kick into top gear after another season was ended on the sidelines.

9. Josh Aloiai

Prop

Games: 15. Wins: 7.

Key stat: 121 metres per game.

Contract status: Signed until end of 2025

Manly’s forward leader. The team struggled for go-forward when he was missing. Missed the opening three games of the season because of suspension and then had a run of minor injuries which saw him miss matches at different times. Re-signed with the club on a long-term deal.

10. Tolutau Koula

Centre/fullback

Games: 20. Wins: 7.

Key stat: 69 tackle busts.

The 20-year-old was a rare success story for the Sea Eagles this year. Speedy outside back who became a genuine threat whenever he touched the ball. Slotted comfortably at centre and had a couple of chances at fullback. Bright future who will become a potent player once he has an opportunity to play regularly outside Tom Trbojevic. Won the club’s rookie of the year award.

11. Christian Tuipulotu

Winger

Games: 19. Wins: 7.

Key stat: 11 tries from 19 games.

Played just two top grade games in as many seasons heading into this year. Played his first game of the season in round eight and missed just one match for the rest of the year. Was reliable out the back and provided some good carries coming out of his own end. Still only 21.

12. Martin Taupau

Prop

Games: 21. Wins: 8.

Key stat: 22 offloads.

Contract status: Unsigned

The veteran forward has certainly lost some of the punch which was his trademark throughout his career. Still is yet to decide where he will play next year after a late season switch to the Eels was quashed. Won’t be at the Sea Eagles in 2023. Spent a large chunk of the season starting off the bench but failed to have a significant impact.

13. Taniela Paseka

Prop

Games: 11. Wins: 5.

Key stat: 39 post contact metres per game.

There’s no surprise that part of Manly’s slide happened when Paseka missed a large chunk of the middle part of the season with a knee injury. Paseka played the opening seven matches but was not seen again until round 16. He still seemed hampered by the knee complaint when he made his comeback with his impact nullified.

14. Andrew Davey

Second row

Games: 18. Wins: 8.

Key stat: 18 games tackles and 18 tackle busts.

Contract status: Joining the Bulldogs in 2022.

Davey was one positive to come from a torrid season for Manly. The late-bloomer shook off an injury-plagued 2021 season to enjoy his most successful NRL season to date, featuring in 18 games and averaging 61 minutes per game. The 30-year-old backrower has been lured out of Manly to join Canterbury next year.

15. Toafofoa Sipley

Prop

Games: 19. Wins: 6.

Key stat: 19 games and 18 offloads.

Began the season as Des Hasler’s first-choice prop, but as the season wore on the powerful ball-carrier found himself dropped to the bench and to lock. Undeniably a hard-to-handle middle-forward is Sipley, but his discipline is an issue as the most penalised player in the Manly team with 12 penalties conceded this season.

16. Sean Keppie

Prop

Games: 17. Wins: 9.

Key stat: 6.6 runs per-game and 56 metres per-game

Wasn’t sighted after round 19 due to an AC shoulder injury. Up until that point, Keppie averaged 32-minutes across 17 games. A big man, his ability to play longer minutes in the middle of the field has to be an off-season focus.

17. Jason Saab

Winger

Games: 16. Wins: 8.

Key stat: 7 tries in 16 games compared to 26 tries in 27 games last year.

Edging towards six-weeks post ACL reconstruction surgery, the talented winger is set for a slow start to the 2023 season. Until the season-ending injury in round 22, Saab’s struggle to find the tryline this year as frequently as what he did in 2021 is the greatest insight into how far Manly’s attack nosedived this season.

18. Morgan Harper

Centre

Games: 18. Wins: 8.

Key stat: 18 games and almost three missed tackles per game.

Dangerous with the ball as shown by almost 100 metres per-game and 42 tackle busts this season, Harper needs to find consistency in his defence in 2023.

19. Brad Parker

Centre

Games: 10. Wins: 3.

Key stat: 10 games and 17 tackle busts.

An unhappy season for the underrated centre with knee injuries limiting his appearances to just 10 games. One of a host of players off-contract next season - he would be viewed by rival clubs as a handy option.

20. Karl Lawton

Backrow/hooker

Games: 9. Wins: 5.

Key stat: 11 tackle busts in nine games.

A year that Lawton will never forget. His turbulent season was derailed the moment he produced a dangerous tackle of South Sydney’s Cam Murray in round 8 which led to a four-week suspension. Devastatingly, the wholehearted forward played one more game before suffering a ruptured ACL. He hopes to be back on the field in June next year.

21. Ben Trbojevic

Centre/backrow

Games: 10. Wins: 2.

Key stat: 13 tackles busts in 10 games.

The youngest brother of the Trbojevic clan, Ben continued his upward trajectory with more games in 2022 than in 2021 (four). Showed his adaptability by playing from the bench, in the backrow and at centre. Season 2023 has to be about making a starting 17 spot his own.

22. Josh Schuster

Back row/five-eighth

Games: 13. Wins: 4.

Key stat: 11 errors in 13 games.

Began the season off the long run after suffering an ankle injury in the pre-season. It meant he began his season in round eight, at a time the rest of the competition was match fit and hardened. Undeniably talented, Manly’s great hope at five-eighth must develop a more disciplined approach to his attack with his 11 errors in 13 games an indication of his at-times preference to overplay his hand.

23. Ethan Bullemor

Backrow

Games: 12. Wins: 2.

Key stat: 20 post-contact metres per-game.

Hardworking and honest, Bullemor struggled for game time in 2022 with the backrower unable to get ahead of preferred edge forwards Andrew Davey and Haumole Olakau’atu. Contracted next season, there have been reports that the 22-year-old is considering an early retirement to start a career as a fund manager.

24. Kaeo Weekes

Wing/fullback

Games: 3. Wins: 0.

Key stat: NRL debut in round 19.

One of the real standout players from the very successful Sea Eagles Pathways Academy, Weekes has been a prolific try scorer in the Harold Matthews and SG Ball competitions after starting at Manly as a 14-year-old. His dream NRL debut arrived in round 19 from the interchange bench before finishing the season at fullback in Manly’s last round loss to the Bulldogs. One the Sea Eagles can’t afford to lose.

25. Kurt De Luis

Prop

Games: 6. Wins: 1.

Key stat: Zero errors in six NRL appearances.

Contract status: Unsigned

The 26-year-old benefited from the club’s rainbow jersey controversy, with his relentless work-ethic at training rewarded with automatic promotion into the NRL team during the final rounds of the season. Didn’t put a foot wrong when called upon for an average of 22 minutes per-game, he is off-contract, but would undoubtedly be worth re-signing.

Toafofoa Sipley (gone)
Lachlan Croker (gone)
Brad Parker (gone)
Reuben Garrick (retain) - Manly
Morgan Harper (gone)
Ethan Bullemor (retain) - between Manly / blacktown
Ben Trbojevic (retain) - between Manly / blacktown
Kaeo Weekes (retain) - Manly

Zac Fulton (gone)
Raymond Tuaimalo Vaega (retain) - blacktown only at this stage
James Segeyaro (gone)
Morgan Boyle (gone)
Kurt de Luis (gone)
Alfred Smalley (retain) - blacktown only at this stage
James Roumanos (gone)

Toafofoa Sipley (gone)
Lachlan Croker (gone)
Brad Parker (gone)
Morgan Harper (gone)

Zac Fulton (gone)
James Segeyaro (gone)
Morgan Boyle (gone)
Kurt de Luis (gone)
James Roumanos (gone)

Toafofoa Sipley (retain)
Lachlan Croker (retain)
Reuben Garrick (retain)
Morgan Harper (retain)
Ethan Bullemor (retain)
Ben Trbojevic (retain)
Kaeo Weekes (retain)
Zac Fulton (retain)
Raymond Tuaimalo Vaega (retain)
Alfred Smalley (retain)
James Roumanos (retain)

Toafofoa Sipley (retain)
Lachlan Croker (retain)
Reuben Garrick (retain)
Morgan Harper (retain)
Ethan Bullemor (retain)
Ben Trbojevic (retain)
Kaeo Weekes (retain)
Zac Fulton (retain)
Raymond Tuaimalo Vaega (retain)
Alfred Smalley (retain)
James Roumanos (retain)
Unless you can upgrade, I guess retain ALL our players

As far as the players currently off contract, I'd definitely give Fulton and extension. Young, Flegg player of the year, won club rising star award, handled club debut in tough circumstances brilliantly.

Looks like Boyle is resigned....meh

Veaga on min.....maybe

Roumanos, Seggy, Smalley, De Luis can go

As for the 23 lot.....well plenty of water to come under the bridge still so hard to say, would def want to keep Garrick and Weekes.

The rest are playing for the futures IMO

Last edited:
The world has always been in crisis

and out of the whole Global crisis

The Manly Sea eagle are the Mother of all Crisis

And the NRL Fox 360 crew love it

So you have cleverly summarised our "Crisis" with your statement about the 360 mob.

I have had the unpleasant experience of dealing with the two head gibberers, on separate occasions.

You would not/could not believe a word either of them say. I had to ask P... ...t (and his drinking partner from the same network) to move away during an exciting Manly match at Brookie, as they were loudly dribbling on about everything else but the game. They only went when I offered them a couple of spare hot beers which had been sitting on the ground, as the bar had closed at half time and we had overcatered for our group.

Mr Lightyear finally returned one of my calls about a financial matter, related to the Leagues Club. He took all the details and promised to follow it through. He appeared to be overly keen, seeing it was about Manly and said he would get his "financial detectives" to verify the facts & figures.

Never heard from him again.

I have not lost any sleep over this supposed Crisis, as the source of the stories has not been verified and has certainly been embellished wherever possible by these two ( for want of a better word ) hacks.

Toafofoa Sipley (gone)
Lachlan Croker (gone)
Brad Parker (gone)
Morgan Harper (gone)

Zac Fulton (gone)
James Segeyaro (gone)
Morgan Boyle (gone)
Kurt de Luis (gone)
James Roumanos (gone)
Might upset the brothers but they get enough from us anyway...... I'd ditch Trevor as well. He's had a chance and offers nothing.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4