Manly in Crisis (a mega thread)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

#crisis ??

• Yes

Votes: 111 55.0%
  • No

Votes: 91 45.0%

• Total voters
bob dylan said:
It's been posted on here 100 times, the actual contract has been seen..

It's not $900k, it's nowhere near that, it's half that.

Check out some posts by @Ryan for the proof.

that might take some time i don;t have :)

So what does Ryan have, a copy of the contract details or what manly are paying players?

Took me 2 minutes to find who posted it so it should take you less than that.

And to answer your question, yes.

bob dylan said:
Fair enough,I don't think the issues are about Glenn.

I will correct you on one thing. We all know for a fact Chocs contract is not $900k next year. That is a media beat up.

Time will tell.

i have no info on Watmough's contract other than what I read so I will concede to your comments. But it still comes back to what is Watmough's motive.

With the advise of his manager he is not going to shoot himself in the foot over Manly management's misbehaviour surely. Managements come and go and really have little influence on the field...just on contracts. I suspect, like a number of the older players that he is getting nervous that he could be shunted like Kite and Stewart and a number of other players who have been sent o/s to complete their careers. I think he's fishing to see what worth he has.

Sure if Manly dont make him a decent offer post 2015, he'll look elsewhere. But I doubt being a local lad that he wants to go. He's a Manly icon and pride will make it difficult to go elsewhere. I suspect he is pushing Manly to come up with a decent contract to see him to the end of his career. He knows there are some pretty decent kids knocking on Manly firsts door. He just wants to be in control of his future and I suspect the Stewart and Kite incidents have them all running a little scared. I mean I would be in his situation. Once he's finished football the big money stops flowing

Yeah good post. I agree.

One other consideration, it has been reported here, he has some family issues. So just like the rest of us his job is probably not at the top of his priority list at all times.

I just hope he is happy, and it would be great if he is happiest at Manly.

I think the possible confusion around Watmoughs contract is that he is owed money from earlier years of his contract. I think his actual written contract is probably a set figure per year over the duration of the contract, say $450K for example. However he has elected to only be paid a part amount of that in the first years of the contract and has salary sacrificed the balance to be paid at the end of the contract on top of his annual salary. So say he only took half his annual salary for the first two years than if he gets that on top of his third year payment then he effectively doubles his wage in that last year. The actual written contract amount each year is constant, it's just when he actually gets paid the amount that is the issue.

Now I don't know if that is what is strictly defined as a back ended contract, and I don't know how the NRL treat that situation. Do they work the salary cap out on actual contract figures or on wages actually paid ?? Bit like the GST on cash or accrual basis I suppose.

It was reported somewhere that Watmough is owed $300K for next year that he has already earned, so he gets that regardless of his annual contract. So I guess that is where some of these inflated figures stem from.

I vote yes but hope I am wrong. If true as reported by Bob Dylan that Choc and Foran are not talking to Tooves , that sounds like a crisis.

I also can't help but thinking DCE's lack of form lately seems very timely with Choc's alleged shunning of him.

Remember we used to always see DCE and Foz sharing a joke and looking so happy. Not any more.

DCE was amazing the first part of the season. He won so many games for us.
We need the happy DCE back. He needs to be supported by all his teammates and the fans. He is the key.

Jamie Buhrer's injury not only leaves a big hole but he and Daly are close. So he has now has not only lost his best mate in the team, he has to endure the wrath of Choc .

I've always said no, but I'm leaning the other way lately. Just have a horrible gut feeling that things are going to explode as soon as our season ends.

bones said:
I've always said no, but I'm leaning the other way lately. Just have a horrible gut feeling that things are going to explode as soon as our season ends.

I was the same,but about 3 weeks ago I realised that the mess is about to hit the fan.

Dont be surprised if Toovey pays the ultimate cost if the fallout is huge.

I wonder what Killer thinks if there is a crisis.

bob dylan said:
It's been posted on here 100 times, the actual contract has been seen..

It's not $900k, it's nowhere near that, it's half that.

Check out some posts by @Ryan for the proof.

$300k owed to choc net year is from previous contracts and therefore will not show in his 2015 contract.

Well if there is a serious personality problem, then 2V needs to get them together and sought it out quickly. If Foran gets upset with Cherry-Evans, that's a major problem because we need these two guys together in future and we know how close Foran was to joining Dessie's dogs

bob dylan said:
bones said:

I was the same,but about 3 weeks ago I realised that the mess is about to hit the fan.

I can tell you after the last game Manly plays, players agents will need a ticket from a ticket vending machine as they will be in a queue to see Manly's management. There are players from 1sts and lower grades wanting releases and some have made it clear they will not be playing for the club under any circumstances.

Harry said:
bob dylan said:
bones said:

I can tell you after the last game Manly plays, players agents will need a ticket from a ticket vending machine as they will be in a queue to see Manly's management. There are players from 1sts and lower grades wanting releases and some have made it clear they will not be playing for the club under any circumstances.

If the expected player exodous eventuates than Perry and 2V should go as well

The dogs might be happy to release Des early and we can go back to where we were in 2011.

Gee the Sponsors must be loving this,if half the stuff that has been posted on here is true,then we will be lucky to have a team next year,if we do,it will have a massive hole cut in it,and it will be too late to find quality players.Is all this happening because of one player,and if it does happen,then I can only speak on my behalf,its going to cut me real deep,and I know a lot of others on here will feel the same,its hurting bad enough right now

I voted yes. And I thought hard about it. But something just doesn't seem right, whilst I never underestimate the medias ability to pump up a story, where there is smoke there is usually fire.

I'm like you @Bones. I have this terrible feeling that come the end of the season we will see the exodus of a couple of Manly legends, and this will be most disappointing. Not disappointing that players are leaving, that's just life, we've lost greats and immortals in the past, but more disappointing that these players seem like they just don't want to be here.

I know there has been some defence of players like Watmough in the media saying 'he likes playing with the media', but to me that is very childish and naïve not to think how this affect the fans. What I'd like to see is some of these players come out and say 'I'm currently here, and am going to bust my balls to get the premiership this year. Next year I'm hoping to be here, and love this club, but I am keeping options open as you don't know what might happen in the future, and I need to look after my family etc'

Even though the above is pretty non-committal it does show a level of wanting to be a the club.

Worst case scenario we will still have DCE, Killer, Buhrer, Ballin, Lawrence, and plenty of young guys with passion in their hearts to succeed.

The future looks bright with or without some club legends. Lets face it 3 or 4 of these guys are close to the end of their careers. It could well be the making of some of the younger guns.

The answer is yes.There is a crisis but it will be a crisis for the players involved.This club always survives.There is no greater club at handling adversity.

For those who think all is well watch Forans body language during the cowboys game.It is one of total resignation.This from a bloke who I think is the posterboy of the great Manly spirit...no one who has played for our club over 70 years has put his body on the line more than Foran over the last 3 years and yet his mongrel is gone entirely....and as much as I admire him the fact that he earns 600k plus demands that he perform....get on with it!He has a job we all dream of.

And if snake doesn't play on Friday which we all know means certain defeat then who is to say the club board is wrong in all this.The brothers Stewart are legends but they eat so much salary cap a Board running a business must consider the amount of games they play.

bob dylan said:
Worst case scenario we will still have DCE, Killer, Buhrer, Ballin, Lawrence, and plenty of young guys with passion in their hearts to succeed.

The future looks bright with or without some club legends. Lets face it 3 or 4 of these guys are close to the end of their careers. It could well be the making of some of the younger guns.

Absolutely, bring in the Trobojevic bros, Gutho, etc and it's certainly not doom and gloom.

Choc, Matai and snake are all at the end of their careers and rarely go through a game without limping or holding some part of their body.

The game has worn them out and they should be released if they want to go.

DCE and Foran are must keeps if possible and the club can give the juniors a go next year with these two and few other older players

It is time for the next generation to have a go.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4