Manly have the most Improvement in them.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Storm turn up every week and you know you must beat them, like Raiders did, like Manly did, they won't roll over.
Roosters are good when its there way, but can be put off when things get tough, but have some All Star players who can individually get a Win.
Souths are off atm, but behind a quality pack and maybe the best kicking game in the NRL, will compete in the big games.
Raiders have shown again, they are a smokey and can compete with ANY team when on.
Eels will fold and are not up with these other sides when it comes to turning up the heat....well so I think ??
Others are not a threat, unless Sharks get some Massive roll on starting with a 30 point win over Illawarra today.
Out of all the sides in contention I honestly feel Manly has the Most improvement and have often been simply - "Getting it done" and "Doing enough", but have not clicked close to 100% as yet and maybe 1 eyed in a sense, but feel Manly have a damn high ceiling which is yet to be reached....will it happen in 2019, I really hope so, because its open enough to give this Comp a real shake.
Time will tell, but I think the Best of Manly is yet to come.

I can’t disagree with you the only BUT I have is this feels so much like 2006 ( although we may finish a spot or two higher).

Led by the remarkable Ben Kennedy our team of mostly no names surprised everyone by reaching the finals.

Sadly it was first week out back then.

I hope that’s not the case for the 2019 side but to get to a GF or even think about winning it in what really is our first year “ back “ would be a super human effort.

I’d love us to make the finals and win the first game , and then “ who knows” but even that would set us up nicely for 2020-21.

Can't get a handle on form from one week to the next ... let alone weeks ahead ....

But as the saying goes .... "On any given Sunday .... " ....

PSS ... One glaring point of difference is the points differential of the top 3 teams compared to the rest

Storm turn up every week and you know you must beat them, like Raiders did, like Manly did, they won't roll over.
Roosters are good when its there way, but can be put off when things get tough, but have some All Star players who can individually get a Win.
Souths are off atm, but behind a quality pack and maybe the best kicking game in the NRL, will compete in the big games.
Raiders have shown again, they are a smokey and can compete with ANY team when on.
Eels will fold and are not up with these other sides when it comes to turning up the heat....well so I think ??
Others are not a threat, unless Sharks get some Massive roll on starting with a 30 point win over Illawarra today.
Out of all the sides in contention I honestly feel Manly has the Most improvement and have often been simply - "Getting it done" and "Doing enough", but have not clicked close to 100% as yet and maybe 1 eyed in a sense, but feel Manly have a damn high ceiling which is yet to be reached....will it happen in 2019, I really hope so, because its open enough to give this Comp a real shake.
Agree. Remember our golden era we had a habit of just getting it done alot of the time. Des knows how to time his run for the semis and I expect us to turn up the heat over the next 6 to 7 weeks

Once it was announced that Des Hasler was going to coach Manly, I never had any doubts that we would be fighting for a place in the finals. I even backed them to win the competition. I still think it is one maybe two years too soon. I see this year as the year where the players get used to playing Des’s game plans and get used to being competitive every game. I also think many of the younger/inexperienced players are getting used to pace of the game and having to concentrate for the full 80 minutes of the game. I feel with this year under the belt and some games in the finals we will be a force for many years again. I can see us being in the top 4 for years to come.

I am unsure about Parramatta. When do they play a Storm/Roosters/Raiders, either at home or away, or are the handbaggers downhill skiing all the way to the play-offs?

Agree. Remember our golden era we had a habit of just getting it done alot of the time. Des knows how to time his run for the semis and I expect us to turn up the heat over the next 6 to 7 weeks
The problem is that we don't have those calm, experienced clutch players we had back then - Killer, Gift, and Snake mainly, but you could throw in Kite, Choc, Skivvi, and Ballin as well. They would stay in the contest for 80 mins and there was rarely any panic during that period. We don't have that in the current team - DCE is a mercurial talent, but has shown for a couple of seasons now that he isn't a true leader in my book - he tries his best but he does get some headless chook about him quite often. Thommo tries his best in terms of leadership, but he's no Gift when it comes to blowing a game open with something special. I'm just not sure who steps up and delivers in the heat of tough finals football - I think we lack that one cool experienced head that sets the standard of self belief. Storm have Smith, Roosters have Cronk, Rabbits have Burgess, Raiders maybe in same boat as us, but there's a lot to like about Bateman - seems his arrival has sparked a resurgence in Canberra.

Let's see if DCE has taken anything away from captaining an Origin series and whether he can take a step up to that next level that the truly influential players inhabit.

I clearly remember when we lost to the Storm in 2011... we went down but the team showed the sort of mettle that wins this game. I thought at the time “we are genuine contenders this year”...

We showed that same mettle down at AAMI Park a few weeks ago.. and I got that same tingle...

The way I break down the top teams is that the Roosters at thier best are a level above everyone. The Storm are not far behind but they are more consistent, Canberra are having a breakout year so it's really hard to judge how they will handle finals footy. Manly at thier best can beat anyone but we struggle with consistency and discipline.

Manly at thier best can beat anyone but we struggle with consistency and discipline
That would be due to our ever changing roster due to personnel, injuries and suspensions.

Chez is the only half in the Top 8 to have had to play with 4 different 5/8ths most of whom were not of NRL level or even genuine 5/8ths :nerd:

The Tigers game showed how he and his new second row partner lacked cohesion in the first couple of try scoring attempts.
Once they synched, 2 perfectly executed tries ensued :)

Manly are still learning each others' moves to position themselves correctly in support. The other 3 in the Top 4 have been together for years.

Jackie is our Bateman :nod:
He is quick and more creative than Corey and has a bit of mongrel in him.

The great joy is watching our rag tag Team mold into a premiership force :inlove:

Rorters are the most talent filled and experienced side ATM.
But it takes 2 to play a GF and Manly are due :D

The problem is that we don't have those calm, experienced clutch players we had back then - Killer, Gift, and Snake mainly, but you could throw in Kite, Choc, Skivvi, and Ballin as well. They would stay in the contest for 80 mins and there was rarely any panic during that period. We don't have that in the current team - DCE is a mercurial talent, but has shown for a couple of seasons now that he isn't a true leader in my book - he tries his best but he does get some headless chook about him quite often. Thommo tries his best in terms of leadership, but he's no Gift when it comes to blowing a game open with something special. I'm just not sure who steps up and delivers in the heat of tough finals football - I think we lack that one cool experienced head that sets the standard of self belief. Storm have Smith, Roosters have Cronk, Rabbits have Burgess, Raiders maybe in same boat as us, but there's a lot to like about Bateman - seems his arrival has sparked a resurgence in Canberra.

Let's see if DCE has taken anything away from captaining an Origin series and whether he can take a step up to that next level that the truly influential players inhabit.
This is a really smart post that raises some excellent points.

I don't think either are quite there yet but I do envisage that in a couple of years time, Jake and Tom will be the "clutch" players you are talking about. Tom will get a lot of the errors out of his game and Jake will continue to develop his leadership skills. Between them, I think we will be good in big games. I question if that will happen this year though. The boys probably need to lose a couple of tight finals or feature in a prelim before they'll be battled hardened.

I also think your post points to the fact that many have forgotten very quickly just how special the Stewart boys were...the reason is as you have pointed out; clutch. They never, ever, ever for one moment, stopped competing. Ditto Lyon.

That would be due to our ever changing roster due to personnel, injuries and suspensions.

Chez is the only half in the Top 8 to have had to play with 4 different 5/8ths most of whom were not of NRL level or even genuine 5/8ths :nerd:

The Tigers game showed how he and his new second row partner lacked cohesion in the first couple of try scoring attempts.
Once they synched, 2 perfectly executed tries ensued :)

Manly are still learning each others' moves to position themselves correctly in support. The other 3 in the Top 4 have been together for years.

Jackie is our Bateman :nod:
He is quick and more creative than Corey and has a bit of mongrel in him.

The great joy is watching our rag tag Team mold into a premiership force :inlove:

Rorters are the most talent filled and experienced side ATM.
But it takes 2 to play a GF and Manly are due :D
Is it wrong that I keep hoping Teddy does an acl?

Eels have had the softest draw this year and have only beaten a top 8 side 3 times this year. Canberra, penrith and rabbits. All their wins have been against cellar dwellars.
Didn’t they smash the Broncs at bank west? But yeah they still are pretenders. Oh and Penrith are no longer a top 8 side

2019 MANLY SEA EAGLES ......

BEST-IS-YET-1060X596.jpg
BEST-IS-YET-1060X596.jpg

Didn’t they smash the Broncs at bank west? But yeah they still are pretenders. Oh and Penrith are no longer a top 8 side

Yes but that was when broncos were coming about 13th and absolutely struggling.

I clearly remember when we lost to the Storm in 2011... we went down but the team showed the sort of mettle that wins this game. I thought at the time “we are genuine contenders this year”...

We showed that same mettle down at AAMI Park a few weeks ago.. and I got that same tingle...

So what you're saying is, Round 24 will be Battle of Brookvale II?

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6