Manly fans: Whingers, fickle and bad supporters

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Darren

Bencher
Today's Illawarra Mercury:
THE 40,000-strong crowd that showed up to watch the Cowboys-Eels clash on Saturday was an indictment of fickle Manly fans who couldn’t be bothered to travel all of 20 kilometres to watch their side play in week one of the finals.

The Sea Eagles exceeded a lot of expectations in finishing in the top four, but their return to the finals brought with it the most boring yet predictable whinge in rugby league – why can’t we play at Brookevale.

Both chairman Scott Penn and skipper Daly Cherry-Evans gave voice to the perennial complaint before, and after ,14,000 people (if that) showed up for their week one clash with Penrith.

It’s effectively blaming the NRL for the fickleness of their own fans who seem to liken the short journey to Allianz Stadium as something akin to a trip with China.

The fact 41,000 people showed up at ANZ Stadium for a game featuring an out-of-town side, including a hefty number who made the trip from Townsville, showed who the real fans are.

Ouch!!!

We made the top four? Awesome!

meh just the usual yearly click bait drivel (without an author's name - cowards). I don't even care the link wasn't posted with it.

Each to their own, and it's ok...but I don't even know why we bother posting such trash here. There's been a heap of anti Manly articles this year that I don't bother with. It's repetitive, at times inaccurate, and frankly boring af.

It's a standard story rolled out every time we play in a first final at the SFS, just dig up the last story, insert the name of the team we played and bingo instant click bait!

The author conveniently ignores that in that 15K crowd on the night that 60 percent were supporting the team wearing maroon and white. The NRL also stupidly scheduled this game at the SFS while the Swans were playing their final in front of over 46K. That to me is the real story!!The Riff fans were scarce but that's ok, bagging Manly for wankers like this is typical. The following day the fishies got just over 16K on a perfect Sunday arvo and nothing mentioned there and aww St Merge they were recovering from their mad Monday I suspect.

The article's actual headline is:

Yearly Eagles whinge tiresome

So I'm not sure why a more aggressive title was used for this thread. It's almost click bait in itself...!

The game was 2 weeks ago. There mustn't be enough news in Illawarra so they've decided to put a Manly story in their paper so people read it.

Today's Illawarra Mercury:
THE 40,000-strong crowd that showed up to watch the Cowboys-Eels clash on Saturday was an indictment of fickle Manly fans who couldn’t be bothered to travel all of 20 kilometres to watch their side play in week one of the finals.

The Sea Eagles exceeded a lot of expectations in finishing in the top four, but their return to the finals brought with it the most boring yet predictable whinge in rugby league – why can’t we play at Brookevale.

Both chairman Scott Penn and skipper Daly Cherry-Evans gave voice to the perennial complaint before, and after ,14,000 people (if that) showed up for their week one clash with Penrith.

It’s effectively blaming the NRL for the fickleness of their own fans who seem to liken the short journey to Allianz Stadium as something akin to a trip with China.

The fact 41,000 people showed up at ANZ Stadium for a game featuring an out-of-town side, including a hefty number who made the trip from Townsville, showed who the real fans are.

Ouch!!!
Do they forget there were two teams playing? I guess Penrith fans have no responsibility for crowd numbers?

I had a look to see who had written the article but there was no byline, pretty sure it was this bloke though
e31788d34f0609cfc19bcdd64840cdf99fcd338e.jpg

If it's a tiresome yearly whinge, why report on it again? Sales must be very slow out Illawarra Mercury ways.

This Mercury must have the most unprofessional writers in Australia - what a crap waste of a tree....
Lost any integrity with the Top 4 part early on.
I think I have worked out the issue - the Illawarra supporters think St George are 3 headed drongos and the St George fans think Illawarra is full of feral nomads - combine the 2 and there's lots of confusion.....
What team in the top 4 would not want a home game at ....home??
This debate about where to play the game should come back to the clubs who have EARNED the home game, to decide where it is played....and Yes....the fans should play a part in the decision....without the fans, there is no game.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6