Manly Dream Team Updates ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
In 2006 for the 60th Anniversary of the club Manly named a "Dream Team" in honour of the occasion.

1 Graham Eadie
2 Ken Irvine
3 Ray Branighan
4 Bob Fulton
5 Michael O'Connor
6 Wally O'Connell
7 Geoff Toovey
8 Roy Bull
9 Max Krilich
10 John O'Neill
11 Steve Menzies
12 Terry Randall
13 Malcolm Reilly

14 Des Hasler
15 Ben Kennedy
16 Cliff Lyons
17 Paul Vautin

Coach Frank Stanton

10 years on, we've had a decade of finals dominance and seen some great players wear the Maroon and White since 2006. What changes would you make ?

I'd have Lyon in for Branighan, and G Stewart for Vautin as definites. Didn't see much of Bull and O'Neill so can't say if Kite knocks either of them off from run on side, if not then Kite on bench for Kennedy.

Bozo to 5/8, Lyon and matai in the centers, kite for oneill. G Stewart for Kennedy. I'd like to replace Irvine who was more norths than manly but not sure who with.
\
Kerry Beaustead, Dale Shearer, Tom Mooney ?? .... no no Stu Davis ... yeah

In 2006 for the 60th Anniversary of the club Manly named a "Dream Team" in honour of the occasion.

1 Graham Eadie
2 Ken Irvine
3 Ray Branighan
4 Bob Fulton
5 Michael O'Connor
6 Wally O'Connell
7 Geoff Toovey
8 Roy Bull
9 Max Krilich
10 John O'Neill
11 Steve Menzies
12 Terry Randall
13 Malcolm Reilly

14 Des Hasler
15 Ben Kennedy
16 Cliff Lyons
17 Paul Vautin

Coach Frank Stanton

10 years on, we've had a decade of finals dominance and seen some great players wear the Maroon and White since 2006. What changes would you make ?

I'd have Lyon in for Branighan, and G Stewart for Vautin as definites. Didn't see much of Bull and O'Neill so can't say if Kite knocks either of them off from run on side, if not then Kite on bench for Kennedy.
Great topic!
I would move Branighan to wing for Irvine, for the reason given by @TerryRandall, and Bozo to 5/8. In effect Irvine and O'Connell out, Lyon and Matai in (no idea of O'Connell's claim so that might be a bit unfair on him, Irvine a great but not so much with us)

Forwards also interesting, Watmough and Kite with definite claims, maybe for Kennedy and Vautin.

Definitely Lyon for Branighan, who played his best football earlier with Souffs.
Matai for O'Connor, who was a terrific player and kicker but didn't play for us for many seasons.
Brett Stewart needs to be in the 17, for DESpicable.
I'd keep Vautin. He was a tackling machine, and our captain. He may be a comedian now but he was the 'engine' for Manly for many years.
All those players mentioned are champions. What a team!

The bench is an interesting conundrum. Do you pick 14-17 as the next best 4 players that don't make the run on side or do you pick the bench as what would be required under the modern interchange match play ? I suspect the original side was picked on the basis of the next best 4 players given that it is two utilities and 2 back rowers. If that is the case then Snake has to be in the 17, but he wouldn't make it if it had to be a competitive "balanced" 17.

Clearly not many of us would have seen Wally O'Connell play, but if respected opinion picks him ahead of Cliffy (and Bozo to a degree) then he must have been a pretty handy 5/8. It's also worth noting that both Roy Bull and Lurch O'Neill were 2 of only 6 Manly players to make the top 100 players picked in 2007 to mark the centenary of RL (Bozo, Wombat, Boustead and Irvine being the other 4).

So assuming you can pick bench as next best 4 players I'd go with

1. Eadie (237 games)
2. Irvine (60 games)
3. Lyon (224 games)
4. Fulton (219 games)
5. O'Connor (115 games)
6. O'Connell (34 games)
7. Toovey (238 games)
8. Bull (177 games)
9. Krilich (215 games)
10. O'Neill (51 games)
11. Menzies (280 games)
12. Randall (208 games)
13. Reilly (89 games)

14. Lyons (309 games)
15. Kite (221 games)
16. B Stewart (235 games)
17. D Hasler (255 games)

Honourable mentions - Watmough, G Stewart, Vautin, Matai, Martin, Mossop, Kennedy

We could almost pick a team of 200 gamers

Wally O'Connell only played two seasons for Manly probably was a huge part of getting us to our first grand final but was injured and didn't play in it ... we got thrashed by souths ... I wont't pick players I haven't personally seen play so wally & Roy Bull not in my team ... for that reason only

1. Eadie
2. Branighan/Mooney/Robbo/Shearer,
3. Matai
4. Lyon
5. O'Connor
6. Bozo
7. Tooves
8. Bull
9. Krilich
10. Kite
11. Menzies
12. Igor
13. Reilly
14. Hasler
15. Lyons
16. G Stewart
17. Vautin
18. Snake, Kennedy, Watmo, Carroll, Harvey, Rambo, Ian Martin, Alan Thompson, etc etc
I like this side Terry but I would punt Hasler and replace him with Ian Martin at 14.

I'd take BK over Kite any day of the week. I loved Kitely but BK was a class above.

Eadie
B. Stewart
Lyon
Fulton
Irvine
Lyons
Toovey
Bull
Krillich
O'Neill or Kite
Randall
Menzies
Reilly

res
Hasler
Watmough
O'Connell
Kennedy or G. Stewart

If Brett Stewart couldnt play full back, he had the speed and nous to be an outstanding winger. O'Connel was an excellent 5/8 but I dont think he had the mesmerising skill of Lyons

And what about 'Rocket' Rod Jackson?

For mine, a 70th Anniversary team would read something like.....

FB - Graham Eadie
WG - Michael Robertson
CE - Jamie Lyon
CE - Bob Fulton
WG - Michael O'Connor
FE - Cliff Lyons
HB - Geoff Toovey
PR - Roy Bull
HK - Max Krillich
PR - Brent Kite
SR - Steve Menzies
SR - Terry Randall
LK - Mal Reilly

Res - Brett Stewart, Anthony Watmough, Glenn Stewart, Steve Matai.

Coach - Frank Stanton

Interesting fact: Michael O'Connor never played an Australian club game on the wing, though he did play a couple of games there for St Helens.

Last edited:
1 brett stewart 2 michael oconnor 3 jamie lyon 4 bob fulton 5 ken irvine 6 clff lyons 7 geoff toovey 8 brent kite 9 fred jones 10 ian roberts 11 terry randall 12 steve menzies 13 malcolm reilly 14 glenn stewart15 anthony watmough 16 steve matai 17 brent kite that will do me against any team of any era ..

Interesting fact: Michael O'Connor never played an Australian club game on the wing, though he did play a couple of games there for St Helens.
Yes but he did play a lot of rep football on the wing so he has credentials in that spot.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7