Manly Daily - blindside

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ALinda

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
'blindside' is the column on back page of Saturday's Manly Daily by Jon Geddes. He seems to be writing about all things Manly - if I was tech-savvy I'd post the links, but afraid I'm not so, sorry. I'll post any interesting points here which come up during the season...

Last Saturday there was an interesting article/interview on Dylan Walker, which I commented on in another thread last week.

Yesterday it was all about AFB and was quite a detailed interview. Here's an extract from it, which may answer the speculation on round 1 as to if he will or won't he play:

"Medical Update - Fonua-Blake is continuing his rehab from off-season shoulder surgery. "I'm hoping to be back in the early rounds, round two or round three maybe" he said. "It's one of those things I don't want to rush." He was reminded of the cautionary tale of South Sydney star Sam Burgess, whose career was ended by a shoulder injury. "I'm not saying he rushed it, but you think of these things and it was unfortunate what happened to Sammy", Fonua-Blake said.

Based on that, you have to think he's not playing in round 1, but round 2 is a distinct possibility.

WEEKLY “truth sessions” are one of the secrets behind Sea Eagles forward Addin Fonua-Blake becoming one of the NRL’s most dominant and fearsome frontrowers.

“I have a close relationship with (assistant coaches) John Cartwright and Chad Randall,” the Manly heavy hitter told Blindside.

“I see them every Monday after we play, we go over my performance and things I need to work on.”

Fonua-Blake is always is always striving to get better and better – and said the reviews have been very beneficial.

CRITICAL RESPONSE

“Sometimes you think you are having a good game, you go in and you are shown a few things you can work on,” Fonua-Blake said

“It humbles you and that’s the type of thing that you need – you need to be able to take the good with the bad.

“I reckon that’s what makes you a good footy player, someone that can obviously take criticism and use it to his advantage.”

Fonua-Blake said he arrived at Manly at the same time as Cartwright and they have developed a close relationship.

“And whatever he says I don’t take it to heart, I see it as a challenge in itself – whether it be make another tackle or make another run or find another thing to do in the effort area,” he said.

MEDICAL UPDATE

FONUA-Blake is continuing his rehab from off-season shoulder surgery.

“I’m hoping to be back in the early rounds, round two or round three maybe,” he said

“It’s one of those things I don’t want to rush.”

He was reminded of the cautionary tale of South Sydney star Sam Burgess, whose career was ended by a shoulder injury.

“I’m not saying he rushed it, but you think of these things and it was unfortunate what happened to Sammy,” Fonua-Blake said.

WEIGHTY ISSUES

THERE has been some impressive heavy lifting in the Sea Eagles gym over the preseason.

Strongman prop Marty Taupau has again led the way with some of his efforts.

“There has been a lot of competition as always in the gym … it’s just nice to see some big numbers from the players,” Taupau said.

“In the backs you’ve got the likes of (winger) Abbas Miski, who is just phenomenal. I reckon pound for pound one of the strongest here in the club.

“And Curtis Sironen has just been amazing in pre-season, he is lifting some big numbers. He’s looking good on the field as well.”

The Sea Eagles will open their 2020 campaign next week with a Sunday afternoon blockbuster against the Melbourne Storm at Lottoland.

“It all starts in between the ears, so that leaves ge out,” Taupau said.

“It’s been a long and gruelling pre-season but we are at a point where I think we are ready and fit for round one.”

“And Curtis Sironen has just been amazing in pre-season, he is lifting some big numbers. He’s looking good on the field as well.”

This is good news ... been wondering about how Siro is aiming up to the challenge of the young guns coming through ...

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8