Lyon closes door on Origin for good

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
JAMIE Lyon has closed the door on any chance of a State of Origin return, insisting the future of New South Wales lies with the younger generation.

Regarded as one of the game’s best centres, the 32-year-old Sea Eagles skipper has not appeared for the Blues since 2010.

Read More

JAMIE Lyon has closed the door on any chance of a State of Origin return, insisting the future of New South Wales lies with the younger generation.

Regarded as one of the game’s best centres, the 32-year-old Sea Eagles skipper has not appeared for the Blues since 2010.

Many, including former Origin coach Ricky Stuart and more recently Blues legend Steve Mortimer, have urged Lyon to help NSW end Queensland’s eight-straight series dominance.

Despite calls for the Dally M centre of the year to once again don the sky blue, Lyon says those days are behind him.

“That phase of my career is over,” Lyon told NRL Pre-season.

“I’m just hoping to get another few years out of my body and play well for Manly.”

Lyon has previously stated his reluctance to play representative football stems from criticism he received over his selection in top-level teams after returning to the NRL following a stint in the Super League.

While the Blues have experimented with a number of centre combinations over the past three years - including Michael Jennings, Josh Morris, Matt Cooper, Will Hopoate and Jarryd Hayne - Lyon is confident the Blues are making strides towards finally cracking the Maroons.

“It’s a new era for the Blues,” he said.

“They’re doing really well. They’ve got the makings of a good side. They’ve just got to put it together.”

Nathan Ryan
FOX SPORTS

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/manly-centre-jamie-lyon-insists-he-will-not-be-making-a-return-to-state-of-origin-football/story-fni3gnk1-1226824620076

Maybe.....finally......finally final......everyone might just get the message.....he DOESN'T WANT TO PLAY!!!! How many times does Jamie have to tell Mortimer, or Stuart or Daley or Fuzzy Lumkins???

Was it in 2010 when they picked Jamie.......at 5/8? Now he's a quality 5/8 and has won a comp there, but surely you put the worlds best centre at centre?

I've always said I'd love him to play, but he's not interested, and I really think Origin could start affecting his body badly at the age of 32.

Killer03 said:
I've always said I'd love him to play, but he's not interested, and I really think Origin could start affecting his body badly at the age of 32.

Agree. Within the boundaries of sport/NRL,
32 isn't young. So, for Lyon to dedicate himself solely to his club is a smart move & will add to his longevity.

Killer03 said:
Maybe.....finally......finally final......everyone might just get the message.....he DOESN'T WANT TO PLAY!!!! How many times does Jamie have to tell Mortimer, or Stuart or Daley or Fuzzy Lumkins???

Was it in 2010 when they picked Jamie.......at 5/8? Now he's a quality 5/8 and has won a comp there, but surely you put the worlds best centre at centre?

yeah I agree Killer03,now they can all just leave him alone

I read so many places about people bagging Killer for this decision.

I always stand up for him and point out - as he has done his entire career - he is putting his family first.

Plus, he never gets any credit about the fact that the decision had probably cost him 200k+, because the $$$ aren't that important to him.

What really gets me going is that we constantly talk about the d***head element in rugby league and all these people who get hammered and go out on the town and disgrace themselves, and physically intimidate people. And then we talk about players needing to appeal to the female and family element.

Then we have a 2 time premiership winning player, who has played in 5 grand finals, and I struggle to remember him being involved in any off field drama. And now he's big crime is putting his family first???

Is something missing here?

Cliffy is God. Yeah!!! Well Jamie is close to being proclaimed Jesus. I'd love to see him rip Ingliss a new one playing against each other in the centres. IMO Jamie's such a better player there now compared to when he was playing origin.

Seriously it is time for NSW to move on. Killer has said it for the last time, hes not going to play for the blues again. With this current Queensland team NSW need new blood and play without the fear that has choked them for the last 8 years.

Come on Jamie - NO... Come on - NAH... COME ON! Mr Lyon - NUP... Come on, only you can beat QLD - NO... Come on, your the best in the world, we were only mucking around before, what we said and that - YEAH NAH... Come on, 10% off roof and gutters for you and immediate family? - HMM NAH... Please - Okay.

Future headline......

Jamie Lyon refuses yet again to make himself available for nsw!

When questioned on his stubborn refusal to help out nsw he answered:

"I'm flattered for the thought guys, but I am 85 years old!"

I agree, they should really leave him alone.

Manly comes first in my opinion and I like how he is committed to the club and his family. Its not like he hasn't played at all for NSW.

This wont unfortunelty end till NSW eventually wins SOO

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4