Little men in rugby league appear to be a dying breed

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
LEAGUE fans should start recording every game involving mighty mouse fullback Ben Barba, as the sight of tiny legs zipping past lead-footed NRL giants will soon be confined to league history.

Read the full article

Ben Barba??? I swear it was kumar Sangakara wearing the bulldogs no 1 yesterday ;)

Only if the weak hands of the NRL allow the little man to disappear. Who wants to see 13 gorillas bashing and barging each other. Time to encourage the little guys in junior footy and change the rules to weight divisions.

Gallop's to stupid to do anything as sensible as encouraging the game at the grassroots. I think Manly should look to Romania. There's a wealth of gorillas being lost to Ruby Union there.

cant believe this crap when we are not seeing any improvement on the old age players. Back in the 1920's it was not out of place to see a player clsoe to or even 40, when was the last time a player played at 40?

For that matter how come we dont have fat bastards everywhere, Big george is a sying breed as well, no longer do we have the good old days of a tookey, bella, even a Billy Weepu. We need rule changes now.

Simple Change: Every team with a fat over 40 year old in their team gets a salary cap increase of 500K.

mickqld said:
Only if the weak hands of the NRL allow the little man to disappear. Who wants to see 13 gorillas bashing and barging each other. Time to encourage the little guys in junior footy and change the rules to weight divisions.

The weight division comps have been trialed and will continue to be this year

To the writer of the original article : watch ESL: James Roby, Rob Burrow, Jarrod Sammut (spelling) and there's a few other midgets still killing it over there

TV commentators have been saying it for years here. A good big man beats a good smaller man every time. Gould has been just one to sprout this sort of stuff.

All Middleton's stats refer to height, so it's about ' short' men, not little men because all RL first graders these days are built like tanks. Take Romelo (sic) for example, almost as wide as he is tall.
However, I do think that bulk is being preferred to skill.
Players are bigger, stronger and faster yet the size of a football field has remained constant over 104 years. Perhaps it is time to drop one player off and make it 12 V 12.

Snake's weight seems to have let him down a bit getting bundled back into the in goal alot. Maybe we need George Rose at fullback...

In league we used to say, "If you're good enough, you're big enough".
In boxing we used to say, "If you're good enough to throw them, you're good enough to catch them".
Both are very true, unless you're Mrs Lui.

It's a little know fact that Ben Barba is the love child of Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President_of_Indonesia

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4