Lifting a heavy object in limited room

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
So looking for the lateral thinkers out there.
Chucking on an automated garage door opener for my roller door. It's quite a high garage and the door sits at about 3 metres high.
I have a mezzanine that runs around the entire sides and back of the garage meaning I can stand on this to get to the door roller and only need to lift it about half a foot off of th bracket to slip the motor onto the pin.

The space is too tight to get two people in there to do it and it's too high to safely stand on a ladder to hold.

So does anyone have any ideas on how I may be able to lift this just a little to accomplish what I want to do?

I was thinking about putting up a pully or block or just slinging a rope through a rib and over a strut and using that to lever up the door a bit and slide the motor in.

I can lift the door but can't lift and slide the motor on.

My other thought was to tie a rope into a hanging loop or V lift the door up then hook the rope over it to take the weight chock a length of hardwood under ther for extra security chuck the motor on, cut the rope and get rid of the chock.

Is there any less elaborate ways anyone can think of.

The only other I have is suspending it again and removing the bracket then replacing the bracket. I just don't want it hanging there too long as it ways a bloody ton

Car jack if you've got something to jack off. Or a ratchet strap (tie down strap) if you have something to hang off

Nothing really to hang off and only one of those old 4wd jacks would be big enough. But I don't have one

How heavy is it ? If you can lift it by yourself then your idea of throwing a rope over a roof beam and lifting it up seems the easiest solution. If you know a few knots then you can whip up a very basic pulley system with rope anyway.

I'd say it ways upwards of 150kg, I can lift one end without too much trouble.

I have a few lengths of hardwood in the garage so going to make a little frame with diagonal bracing and bolt a carjack to the top of it, that should give me enough height and lift

The problem with the beams is that the rib runs lengthways and is about 60cm back toward the centre of the garage.

Really awkward.

The mezzanine when in after the door was installed, so i may need to work backwards.

If my jack trick doesn't work i am going to just have to go hire some acro props

Do it with care ... have another person on hand (preferably not Matilda :)
... good luck!

So lunch break got the job done.

Piled 3 cement blocks on top of each other and two pavers. didnt want to bother making anything just for the job.

Stuck the jack on top and hoisted it up then gradually placed the bits of hardwood under it to hold it up, eventually got one bit of 4 x 4 I had next to the garage and stacked a few off cuts of fence pailing under neath it and lowered the jack down until t was resting on the wood, put some other braces of pine to stop it sliding either way and took the jack out. chucked the motor onm jack back in, lifted it, wood out then lowered it.

It was teetering precariously for a while, but redneck ingenuity got me through.

Was probably not the safest thing I have done , but i got the job done

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7