Let's see how good our players are

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Darren

Bencher
Guys, with all this talk of Robbo, T-Rex and Wolfie going to help salary cap surely these guys will get good contracts at nrl clubs? What do you reckon? If they end up in UK than that will be a surprise.

Question is: Will anyone in nrl paying 200 g for a 29 year old very safe and consistent winger? Wolfie, may struggle as well. What do you all think?
Interesting that Hoppa is getting all the talk, not our "stars"

Hoppa is getting all the talk as he is a young up and coming superstar with a famous surname. The media love to talk up the young ones, nothing new.

matai,lyon and stewart are better players than hoppa right now.simple as that and has absolutely nothing to do with age and des will pick them over hoppa in those positions while they are at the club.hoppa iether agrees to play wing for a couple of years or leaves the club.lets really hope he stays.my bet is he will leave.300k a year to a bloke in a family of 9 is a great carrot.

susan said:
matai,lyon and stewart are better players than hoppa right now.simple as that and has absolutely nothing to do with age and des will pick them over hoppa in those positions while they are at the club.hoppa iether agrees to play wing for a couple of years or leaves the club.lets really hope he stays.my bet is he will leave.300k a year to a bloke in a family of 9 is a great carrot.

And that will be the issue. Islanders have a culture of providing for their family and are expected to do so. The more I think about it the more I am resigned to the fact that we will lose Hoppa. If we do I sure hope Des gets in his ear and says sign a 2 year deal and once that is up come home to fat contract after we lose some of our bigger names.

susan said:

Susan are u serious? Hoppa is an 18yr old kid,and is a superstar right now!Imagine in 4yrs time at the ripe old age of 22 how good this kid will be.Last night the class of Hoppa stood out above every other player on the field. Hes already on 150k a year, so an upgrade 2 keep him shouldnt be 2 hard.

For me Wolfie has got to be the 1 to go,as hes to injury prone.Hes hardly played a game since he signed his 250k contract a couple of years ago.Let him go and keep Hoppa simple as that!

your right jerry and that may help him staying as he knows brett is a worry with injury and shoulders is one hit away from oblivion.he is only 18,should get plenty of chances at 1 or 3 and will be at a place he loves.im sure he is also smart enough to know as we all know that when fit des will pick the other guys first so it makes it interesting.

but a million dollar contract to get a guaranteed start in his favoured position is a great lure.

Cam, no way this is a negative thread, with a great winning start I am curious how our boys will go on the open market. Many of us all talk up our heroes so wondering if other NRL clubs will be snapping at their heels? It's nearly May so big decisions will be made. If they end up in UK then it is an eye opener that all NRL clubs don't want/do want our stars.

mauler i dont want us to let him go.he will be a fine player.i am simply saying

1.that we all know des will stick with lyon,stewey and matai in those positions
2.many people are underestimating our parlous financial state.we simply can't compete re third party deals etc with the wealthier clubs.cap is merely a maximum amount plus 3rd party deals.it doesnt mean everyone can always spend the full cap or raise the same third party deals.for some reason most people don't know that unless the third party is a club sponsor they can pay a player any amount they like.eg billy slaters car adds dont come under cap and idris will probably earn 1 million a year on the gold coast after non sponsor endorsements. our corporate clout is basically zero and doesnt look like changing.

What "stars" are off contract though? I know Hoppa and Buhrer are but I don't think you are referring to them.

And what sort of a eye opener would it be?

susan said:
mauler i dont want us to let him go.he will be a fine player.i am simply saying

1.that we all know des will stick with lyon,stewey and matai in those positions
2.many people are underestimating our parlous financial state.we simply can't compete re third party deals etc with the wealthier clubs.cap is merely a maximum amount plus 3rd party deals.it doesnt mean everyone can always spend the full cap or raise the same third party deals.for some reason most people don't know that unless the third party is a club sponsor they can pay a player any amount they like.eg billy slaters car adds dont come under cap and idris will probably earn 1 million a year on the gold coast after non sponsor endorsements. our corporate clout is basically zero and doesnt look like changing.

All im saying Susan is simple-We just have 2 keep Hoppa no matter what it takes.Players like this kid dont come along every day,and im sure dessie knows how good he is.Dessie wouldnt have been paying the kid 150k a year since he was 15,to let him go now.They obviously have known 4 a while that they would have 2 upgrade Hoppas contract and have been planning accordingly.One thing im certain of is we very rarely lose a player we really want 2 keep,and lets hope this is the case with Hoppa and the other young stars weve got.

saying we never lose a player we dont want to keep while very true unfortunately will be history.the loosening cap rules re 3rd party payments that have occured and will continue to occur will make that a pipedream going forward.one team towns and wealthy clubs simply will blow us away in future re the non sponsor corporate dollar particularly with a second brisbane side coming with massive corporate support and the fat man from tinkler town in play.idris is a prime exaample- one team town,tv show etc.unless we address it it will be so hard to keep players,particularly personality players like hoppa.how to address it is very difficult s the northern beaches exposure is not exactly what the big companies want.

Darren said:
Cam, no way this is a negative thread, with a great winning start I am curious how our boys will go on the open market. Many of us all talk up our heroes so wondering if other NRL clubs will be snapping at their heels? It's nearly May so big decisions will be made. If they end up in UK then it is an eye opener that all NRL clubs don't want/do want our stars.

We already know other clubs are not after our older stars, they are after our young up and coming stars like Hoppa and Hodkinson. If we lose Hoppa to keep Wolfman i will be pissed off. We have plenty of depth in the backrow so it should not be hard to let someone go to keep Hoppa even if it means losing one of our most reliable players like Robbo imo.

susan said:
saying we never lose a player we dont want to keep while very true unfortunately will be history.the loosening cap rules re 3rd party payments that have occured and will continue to occur will make that a pipedream going forward.one team towns and wealthy clubs simply will blow us away in future re the non sponsor corporate dollar particularly with a second brisbane side coming with massive corporate support and the fat man from tinkler town in play.idris is a prime exaample- one team town,tv show etc.unless we address it it will be so hard to keep players,particularly personality players like hoppa.how to address it is very difficult s the northern beaches exposure is not exactly what the big companies want.

I understand your point, tho young Hoppa isnt exactly a big personality player at the moment.Certainly cant compare his corporate appeal with Idris at this point in time,thats 4 sure.

his second name is universally famous.thats what they want.straight away puts him to the top of the desired list re corporate recognition particularly as he doesnt have his old mans slightly ordinary traits.

Garts said:
Darren said:
I believe Robbo, Wolfie, T-Rex, King, Kite etc

I don't class any of those players as stars, imo our star players are B Stewart, Lyon and Watmough.

hasnt hoppa been on the side lines with leg injuries already last year and in toyota cup years maybe he is a injury proned player ??????

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2