Legends of League Tournament - 18th November (Charity Event)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

HappilyManly

Journey Man
A HOST OF RUGBY LEAGUE GREATS RETURN FOR ONE DAY ONLY IN LEGENDS OF LEAGUE TOURNAMENT
The Daily Telegraph
September 6, 2017 4:06pm

FORGET the Auckland Nines, Central Coast Stadium will be playing host to the most star-studded rugby league nines tournament the game has ever seen.

Legends of League, in partnership with Paladin Sports and the Mark Hughes Foundation, are bringing back a host of footy legends for the inaugural LOL Tournament, to be held on the Central Coast on November 18th.

Have you ever wondered whatever happened to Scott Minto?

Have questions about the whereabouts of Mark Tookey ever kept you up at night?

d8c238e026efc1842822b2b17b057c50

Mark Tookey is back!

Would you give everything up for a chance to watch Barry Berrigan take on the defence one more time?

If you are the kind of rugby league tragic who’s into this sort of thing, do we have the footy tournament for you.

4c9ac4d9a58145ecc19a5bd9d1447f5a

Willie Mason will line up for Canterbury.

A host of former footy stars and cult heroes will take the field one more time during the six-team tournament with over $100,000 worth of prize money up for grabs.

A percentage of the gate takings will also be donated to the Mark Hughes Foundation.

Canterbury, Newcastle, Manly, Parramatta, Brisbane and a Barbarians side will compete in nine on nine matches that will last 30 minutes each.

157b7b91f543c5580eb2ac4c550f2a4f

Cliff Lyons will pull the boots back on at the age of 55.

As you can see from the squads below, there will be some serious quality on display.

Tickets for the tournament go on sale from 9am Thursday.

For more information, check out the Legends of League website.

Brisbane: Gorden Tallis, Lote Tuqiri, Shaun Berrigan, Barry Berrigan, Neville Costigan, Tom Learoyd-Lahrs, Brad Meyers, Kevin Campion, Casey McGuire, Leon Bott, Barry Berrigan, Nathan Friend, Ben Hannant, Brett Seymour, Scott Minto, Wendell Sailor (captain)

Manly: Solomon Haumono, Steven Bell, Craig Hancock, Danny Moore, Scott Donald, Shannon Nevin, Chad Randall, Mark Bryant, Luke Dorn, Travis Burns, Michael Witt, Heath L’Estrange, Jamie Goddard, Cliff Lyons, Steve Menzies (captain)

Newcastle: Kurt Gidley, Robbie O’Davis, Clint Newton, Adam Woolnough, Scott Dureau, Daniel Abraham, Todd Lowrie, Craig Smith, Matt Hilder, Russell Richardson, Ben Cross, Brad Tighe, Jeremy Smith, Owen Craigie, Danny Buderus (captain)

Parramatta: Nathan Hindmarsh, Michael Buettner, Dean Widders, Ian Hindmarsh, Tim Smith, Joel Reddy, Mark Tookey, Matthew Keating, Dennis Moran, Luke O’Dwyer, Brad Dew, Wade McKinnon, PJ Marsh, Brett Finch, Luke Burt (captain)

Canterbury: Willie Mason, Reni Maitua, Mark O’Meley, Brent Sherwin, Daniel Holdsworth, Willie Talau, Tony Grimaldi, Steve Turner, Dene Halatau, Chris Armit, Matt Utai, Brad Morrin, Brett Kimmorley, Rod Silva, Andrew Ryan (captain)

Barbarians: Craig Wing, Michael Crocker, Scott Hill, Craig Gower, Tim Brasher, Amos Roberts, Michael Weyman, John Skandalis, Michael Henderson, Brett Kearney, Paul Whatuira, Joe Galuvao, Matt Geyer, Chris Walker, Matt King (captain)

Last edited:
This will test Dan Ferris' claims of having minimal soft-tissue injuries for players!
I predict Travis Burns to be the most competitive of our players.

Anyone remember the earlier incarnation of this idea in the early to mid-nineties when they had the likes of Wombat and Les Boyd "running" around?

I think those games were shown on Ch 9 and from memory had some none too small role in the birth of the Footy Show in 1995.

The knights are going all out to win this. Most of their players are young.

Although they weren't top shelf players so it may backfire like most things from the hunter.

The caption under Cliffy's picture in the article is wrong.

If the tournament is played in November, then Cliffy (who is only 16 days younger than me) will be 56.

2016-11-26%2021.04.08_2.jpg

Photo taken following the International Legends of League game at Stafford Park in Hervey Bay under damp conditions on November 26 last year.

Love it .... just hope the attraction of "over $100k" in prize money doesn't change what are usually fun games played in good spirit ...

Love it .... just hope the attraction of "over $100k" in prize money doesn't change what are usually fun games played in good spirit ...
Mark McGaw's not playing so they should keep a lid on it.
I'm sure Solo will sort out any nonsense in our games.

Anyone remember the earlier incarnation of this idea in the early to mid-nineties when they had the likes of Wombat and Les Boyd "running" around?

I think those games were shown on Ch 9 and from memory had some none too small role in the birth of the Footy Show in 1995.
Sure do remember. Loved it. I've got one on tape buried somewhere. Think it was around about 1993/4? And played at Seagulls stadium on the gold coast. Players like Lewis, Sterlo, Roach, Pearce and a few other 80's big names who had retired a few years earlier played with a mix of current legends.
Pretty sure there was even a muck around fight that was funny.
Anyway, was entertaining enough for me as a kid to watch the recording over and over.

Sure do remember. Loved it. I've got one on tape buried somewhere. Think it was around about 1993/4? And played at Seagulls stadium on the gold coast. Players like Lewis, Sterlo, Roach, Pearce and a few other 80's big names who had retired a few years earlier played with a mix of current legends.
Pretty sure there was even a muck around fight that was funny.
Anyway, was entertaining enough for me as a kid to watch the recording over and over.
I also remember that game and the mock fight. It was a great spectacle. I think after match me and my mates played a few games of E.T’s Rugby League on the Commadore 64.

Great article on the back page of the Daily today about this tournament on Saturday (sorry I can't link it). Talk about blasts from the past - a host of legends playing. As for Cliffy playing at 56, what a classic legend :clap:

Not sure playing in mid November will be conducive - they'll really feel their ages if its warm :eek:

Good on them and Go Manly!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8