Legal Streaming option

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
Hi All,

I really don't want foxtel as I find it a useless expense and don't watch much TV. So I am looking at the other options available to me and wondering whether anyone had any good feedback or options.

1 - Foxtel Now - Overpriced and you can't just have sports so no go
2 - Kayo Sports - $25 a month seems a lot to watch one or two games a week
3 - NRL Live Pass - Limited to 7 inch screen (I have a samsung phone that allows me to connect to dex and view on a TV, but not sure how this will break out for the app unless i can view via the browser (Does anyone have experience with this?)

--- Less legal
4 - NRL TV for overseas visitors + VPN: I have a reliable and fast Fibre to home connection and VPN but this still works out fairly expensive in my eyes

Are there any that I am missing? Ideally I would like to watch it on my TV, which I have used an IPTV service to do before but find the image a little cartoony and slightly lagged through its encoding not sure if I should go for this again as hopefully its only a somewhat occasional need to view.

It really bothers me that in this day and age they don't have an NRL digital only subscription that can be viewed on a TV, they really have bent themselves over a barrel with their digital rights which was so short sighted it failed to factor in technology enhancements

The fact foxtel forces you to have an entertainment package and charges such ridiculous fees is crazy. Its not that I can't afford these things it is more a matter of principal.

The fact they don't maintain ownership of their own digital product astounds me.

Dan

I know this is not viewing matches from the comfort of your home, but a $10 membership at any of the many local clubs will allow you to watch all the matches and have a cold beer close by.

Last year I had the NRL Live Pass, which was free as my work phone is with Telstra. While not as good as watching on TV, it was still ok to watch on my phone or tablet. I tried to find a way to transmit from my phone to my TV but the app must have something in it that blocks you doing so. Do you have a Telstra sim for your mobile so you can get it for free? Otherwise, you might have to bite the bullet and pay full freight for the pass.

At the moment I am living in Hong Kong (perhaps in China soon), so I am using the Watch NRL Live app for $33 a month. It’s a bit pricey but there are not too many other options. When you consider a beer at a pub is at least $10 and a coffee $6 here, I tell the Trouble & Strife that I am actually saving us money!

I know this is not viewing matches from the comfort of your home, but a $10 membership at any of the many local clubs will allow you to watch all the matches and have a cold beer close by.
The kids are the issue. I have them every second weekend and I don't want to be dragging them out on a Saturday night to fulfill my footy fix

Last year I had the NRL Live Pass, which was free as my work phone is with Telstra. While not as good as watching on TV, it was still ok to watch on my phone or tablet. I tried to find a way to transmit from my phone to my TV but the app must have something in it that blocks you doing so. Do you have a Telstra sim for your mobile so you can get it for free? Otherwise, you might have to bite the bullet and pay full freight for the pass.

At the moment I am living in Hong Kong (perhaps in China soon), so I am using the Watch NRL Live app for $33 a month. It’s a bit pricey but there are not too many other options. When you consider a beer at a pub is at least $10 and a coffee $6 here, I tell the Trouble & Strife that I am actually saving us money!
True but I calculate the beer expense into my budget.

I live near a decent pub for viewing so for day matches am happy to stroll up there and let the kids run about too

Hi All,

I really don't want foxtel as I find it a useless expense and don't watch much TV. So I am looking at the other options available to me and wondering whether anyone had any good feedback or options.

3 - NRL Live Pass - Limited to 7 inch screen (I have a samsung phone that allows me to connect to dex and view on a TV, but not sure how this will break out for the app unless i can view via the browser (Does anyone have experience with this?)

--- Less legal
4 - NRL TV for overseas visitors + VPN: I have a reliable and fast Fibre to home connection and VPN but this still works out fairly expensive in my eyes

Are there any that I am missing? Ideally I would like to watch it on my TV, which I have used an IPTV service to do before but find the image a little cartoony and slightly lagged through its encoding not sure if I should go for this again as hopefully its only a somewhat occasional need to view.

It really bothers me that in this day and age they don't have an NRL digital only subscription that can be viewed on a TV, they really have bent themselves over a barrel with their digital rights which was so short sighted it failed to factor in technology enhancements

The fact foxtel forces you to have an entertainment package and charges such ridiculous fees is crazy. Its not that I can't afford these things it is more a matter of principal.

The fact they don't maintain ownership of their own digital product astounds me.

Dan
I have just signed up for Kayo Sports. 8 Months season = $200 and that'll do me nicely.

Foxtel Now on the TV - you can just take the sports package and quit when you want. Otherwise I'd recommend 4 apart from...

Capture.JPG

Just migrated from Foxtel to Kayo. I am loving it so far, but I do watch a lot of crikkit and NBA and Union as well as NRL.

There are some very nice features, like being able to show the highlights on the timeline and jump strait to them, if you don't want to watch the whole game.

I thought Honk Kong was chine again, didn't the poms lease expire a few years back?

Hi All,

--- Less legal

Dan

KAYO is awesome. I share a premium account with 2 mates. So we can each watch it on one device each at the same time. $11.67 a month each. Personally i think that is a steal. Very happy with Kayo.

I thought Honk Kong was chine again, didn't the poms lease expire a few years back?
I knew someone would pick me up on that but I was being lazy!!

But yes, Hong Kong is a Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China.

watchnrl.com $170 a season ,all games ,live & replay ,plus all of fox sports nrl shows.Good streaming quality.Will prob need the vpn ,i'm in Canada.

I will be disconnecting Fox and signing up for Kayo in two weeks time. $25 a month for all that sport. Cheaper than going to the pub

Got rid of Foxtel was $103 per month **** movie channels and no on demand stuff. Got Kayo sports which has 50 sports and heaps of replay options, Netflix and Stan all for half the price per month. All can be chromecast to any TV.

I have Kayo and so far I have no complaints. I guess the real test comes from tomorrow night on. Whether it's worth $25 bucks is up to you. I just got tired of chasing up free links. Even better now the android tv app is released I have it on my Nvidia shield watching 4 streams at once split screen works so well. 14 day free trial if you don't like it you can cancel.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4