Lean forwards are the way of the future

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Snake

Snake's Alive!
Watching the Panthers yesterday, it is not hard to see why they are on a 15 game winning streak....

They are lean, mobile, youthful and fast. We have the complete opposite.

The only player with genuine speed in our entire squad is Tom T and he has been injured most of the year.

Our forwards are big and lack genuine speed. No wonder we struggled with the increased speed this year. We need to go in a different direction now that the wrestle is working its way out of the game. Glad AFB is going for that very reason but we need to make other adjustments to the squad.

It's a real shame Hethrington won't be coming because he is the perfect type of prop under the new rules. He still has that aggression but in a much leaner and zippy frame.

What are people's best 17 for next year with a shift in speed and size coming into the equation?

The other thing about Penrith is when they do make inroads through their mobile pack, when they hit the edges, they have speed. We don't. Schuster will be dangerous off the back of quick play-the-balls but he'll need more than the likes of Parker, Taufua, Harper and Funa outside him...

I'm thinking Hoppa (with a preseason under his belt), Walker, Suli and Saab are gonna need to play plenty of footy.

The other thing about Penrith is when they do make inroads through their mobile pack, when they hit the edges, they have speed. We don't. Schuster will be dangerous off the back of quick play-the-balls but he'll need more than the likes of Parker, Taufua, Harper and Funa outside him...

I'm thinking Hoppa (with a preseason under his belt), Walker, Suli and Saab are gonna need to play plenty of footy.
Is Saab back in the mix I thought that had gone cold ??

Agree with your premise, although with the current NRL leadership, who knows what rules will be in place?
I think Jetski is a good style for the current game, and definitely we need forwards who can catch and also throw a pass, as there is much more scope for the whole team getting involved in sweeping movements.
Of our current players I think Harper can prosper, and obviously Schuster should excel in the faster game.
Another who should eb well suited is Walker, though not sure if we are keeping him.
Fainu, if he ever makes it back, should be suited, and despite being slow, Foran's smarts and vision could be brilliant with more talent around him than he had at the Dogs.
There will always be a place in the game for a Kikau type. Not sure if Haumole is capable of that sort of role, he is a huge guy but he was very mobile when he played 20s, may depend on how his body has grown since then?

I think both Davey and Garner fit that job description for back rowers ...

What about Saddler as a prop ... he also looked pretty lean and mobile ??

Also think you need a mix ... one or two low built wrecking balls ... with one or two of the leaner, rangy types ...

Agree with main point than speed is as important as size in this new speeded up game - and we could certainly do with some more legspeed in the forwards and backs.

Other key point to me about the Panthers is they have a good organizing half in Cleary and an "eyes up " natural instinctive footballer who backs himself in Jerome Luai. Cody Walker gets a lot of wraps but Luai is as talented as any in my opinion. That's why Schuster could be so important for us going forward.

I think we need another prop from outside the squad. Paseka looks the goods but not sold on a bench rotation for next year.
Fisher-Harris has always been a top player but I think this is the first year he has started as a prop and he's absolutely killed it. Smaller frame than some but not lacking in force, keeps it simple and great leg speed.
Can we find someone like that please?

Schuster will be dangerous off the back of quick play-the-balls but he'll need more than the likes of Parker, Taufua, Harper and Funa outside him...

Although can always be improved upon ... I think both Parker and Harper would go okay behind a mobile pack moving forward ... they both can run good lines ... they are suffering under our current flat attack and slow play ...

I think a lot of people are over reading into this season and how it’s panned out and the way it’s played.This year is one like no other and some teams have adapted quickly and some haven’t.Penrith have avoided long term injuries and that’s just the luck they got.The Storm have one of the biggest packs in the comp and are sitting pretty in 2nd.Nothing has been said about how next year will be officiated or whether the six again rule or one ref will still be in existence.The facts are,there’s always a place for the big men in the game

This thread is good, been waiting for it for a while.
Its been pretty obvious for months now that we are way off the pace, literally.

Lumbering metres eater props may have great stats, but that is irrelevant if the PTB is slowed enough to get the defensive line reset. AFB could make 300m per game and it would not really assist us.
Marty is a slightly different beast, due to his ability to consistently offload.

RCG and Fisher-Harris are the prototypes for 2020 and beyond, and would be out of our $ range.

Kennedy from the Broncos is who I would chase now.
Perfect body type for our touch footy, albeit a little unfit.

Watching the Panthers yesterday, it is not hard to see why they are on a 15 game winning streak....

The only player with genuine speed in our entire squad is Tom T and he has been injured most of the year.

Our forwards are big and lack genuine speed. No wonder we struggled with the increased speed this year. We need to go in a different direction now that the wrestle is working its way out of the game. Glad AFB is going for that very reason but we need to make other adjustments to the squad.

It's a real shame Hethrington won't be coming because he is the perfect type of prop under the new rules. He still has that aggression but in a much leaner and zippy frame.

What are people's best 17 for next year with a shift in speed and size coming into the equation?
Exactly what managers are chasing now at junior levels- sat with a few of them recently at a schoolboys 16/17yo and that is 100% the game now and who the leading managers look for

You make a good point but there is also a place for destructive forwards like the massive Jnr Paulo .

I think a lot of people are over reading into this season and how it’s panned out and the way it’s played.This year is one like no other and some teams have adapted quickly and some haven’t.Penrith have avoided long term injuries and that’s just the luck they got.The Storm have one of the biggest packs in the comp and are sitting pretty in 2nd.Nothing has been said about how next year will be officiated or whether the six again rule or one ref will still be in existence.The facts are,there’s always a place for the big men in the game

The powers that be have being trying to speed up our game since Super League.
PVL finally had the balls to just ram through changes without care.

I dont like it personally, but this has been a long term goal for HQ for 25 years.

Watching that Raiders v Sharks game last night, really had me thinking about the new physique of the modern player. The young Raiders side had blokes in their that looked more suited to soccer. Contrast that against Andrew Fifita, the young Raiders side has the future looking forward physique down pat.

How lean is the Papali ?
He may be not lean but the big mother fcker is a machine
josh-papalii_19hqy44p5sjh11t1prioq8gh4v.jpg

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4