Leadership

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

HK_Eagle

First Grader
Premium Member
With all the talk recently about the NSW leadership issue, I was reflecting on leadership within our own team.

That loss is not on the new guys coming in. In my opinion, we lost it with poor leadership. The Storm constantly perform bringing nobodies into their structure because they have a very strong experienced leadership group. They control the attitude and composure of the team and take the pressure off the new kids, who can just go out and concentrate on performing their simple roles.

We don't have that kind of leadership.
  • DCE is a one-man leader. So, when he is off, like today, it impacts on the whole team performance. We start relying on players to shine individually and they are no longer focusing on performing a simple team role.
  • Tom doesn't seem to have the aptitude to lead, which is a pity given his critical position on the field. Like his brother, it seems he will always be an important cog in the machine... a brilliant foot soldier if you like.
  • Green brings some of that Storm composure and we sorely missed it today. It's amazing to actually observe that intangible quality I assume he has developed from the Storm system? He is not a flashy brilliant player, but he really brings composure and stability to the team.
  • Marty would be very handy if he could develop into part of that leadership group. At the moment it's just about his own game for Marty. Hopefully, as he continues to play consistent great footy, he will start to understand a greater role in making those around him better.
  • Api is also one who could be an important cog in such a leadership group. He has a critical position and role on the field. I'm undecided whether he has it in him to truly direct and guide the team, ala Smith.
  • Jake also lacks the aptitude and composure to lead despite his obvious passion. He is an important role player in the team nevertheless.

In my opinion, there just isn't a strong resilient core yet that moulds and maintains the team's attitude, especially under duress.

Last edited:
With all the talk recently about the NSW leadership issue, I was reflecting on leadership within our own team.

That loss is not on the new guys coming in. In my opinion, we lost it with poor leadership. The Storm constantly perform bringing nobodies into their structure because they have a very strong experienced leadership group. They control the attitude and composure of the team and take the pressure off the new kids, who can just go out and concentrate on performing their simple roles.

We don't have that kind of leadership.
  • DCE is a one-man leader. So, when he is off, like today, it impacts on the whole team performance. We start relying on players to shine individually and they are no longer focusing on performing a simple role.
  • Tom doesn't seem to have the aptitude to lead, which is a pity given his critical position on the field. Like his brother, it seems he will always be an important cog in the machine... a brilliant foot soldier if you like.
  • Green brings some of that Storm composure and we sorely missed it today. It's amazing to actually observe that intangible quality I assume he has developed from the Storm system? He is not a flashy brilliant player, but he really brings composure and stability to the team.
  • Marty would be very handy if he could develop into part of that leadership group. At the moment it's just about his own game for Marty. Hopefully, as he continues to play consistent great footy, he will start to understand a greater role in making those around him better.
  • Api is also one who could be an important cog in such a leadership group. He has a critical position and role on the field. I'm undecided whether he has it in him to truly direct and guide the team, ala Smith.
  • Jake also lacks the aptitude and composure to lead despite his obvious passion. He is an important role player in the team nevertheless.

In my opinion, there just isn't a strong resilient core yet that moulds and maintains the team's attitude, especially under duress.

Exactly, teams like the Storm are ultra-competetitive for 80 minutes each and very week. Go back a few years and we had that reputation as well, until the Bulldogs decided they wanted it for themselves. It is little wonder they are up near the top most each and every year. Manly need to reduce the gap between our worst and our best and compete for 80 minutes.We are terribly flakey. It is a work in progress though and our squad does need to be strengthened by a big backrower who has a good engine who makes 100m+ consistently and a top quality five-eighth/three quarter if we are to compete for the title. As I mentioned in another post, a Boyd Cordner type.

Yeah, many bang on about the brilliance of that Storm spine. And yes, they are brilliant players, but I really think it's more to do with the mentality and leadership that the team carries (lead by the core group). I assume Bellamy's genius is in helping to facilitate the development of such a core attitude, which players buy into and trust 100%.

Yeah definitely, this should hopefully develop in the future. The storm have had a side that's been together for a very long time, the big three's leadership has rubbed off on a few of em over time whereas our side is relatively new

I thought Tom showed plenty of leadership during our fightback though, always getting everyone fired up and running with him.

Yeah definitely, this should hopefully develop in the future. The storm have had a side that's been together for a very long time, the big three's leadership has rubbed off on a few of em over time whereas our side is relatively new

I thought Tom showed plenty of leadership during our fightback though, always getting everyone fired up and running with him.
Yeah, look I could be wrong about Tom in regards to leadership qualities. I don't know him personally, and can only presuppose from what I see of him on the field. I have no doubt that, like his brother, there is competitive fire in him (though perhaps not to the level nor consistency of Jake). What I haven't seen yet, is his ability to inspire and lift players around him. My impression is he mentally drifts in and out of games a little and is more focused on what he is doing, rather than helping team mates do what they need to. Having said that, it's to be expected given his age, and he may well develop more of that as he continues to mature and gain experience.

DCE maybe captain but Green leads the team big time. You can see the talk from Green organising the next play. It's the same as Smith and Cronk.

The Storm must be salivating at the thought of playing us.

They can see their FA going through the roof.

take out Slater, Smith, Chambers, Bromich, Kafousi, Mclean, and the storm are rudderless as well
I disagree, Fluffy. While it certainly makes skill execution more challenging with the lesser individual talents that would have to come in (Bellamy adjusts for this), they would still have a core sense of joint purpose, leadership and clarity on their individual roles to support the team goal.

They have proved season after season they have this aspect well down. How long have people been predicting the decline of the Storm each season as their spine ages and all these new faces keep coming in? New faces step into a role, which Bellamy will slightly adjust depending on the strengths and weaknesses of the faces stepping in.

Sure, with those changes mentioned, they may well struggle and lose some games. However, you will not see them turn into a directionless rabble and getting lapped on the scoreboard like we saw today.

I disagree, Fluffy. While it certainly makes skill execution more challenging with the lesser individual talents that would have to come in (Bellamy adjusts for this), they would still have a core sense of joint purpose, leadership and clarity on their individual roles to support the team goal.

They have proved season after season they have this aspect well down. How long have people been predicting the decline of the Storm each season as their spine ages and all these new faces keep coming in? New faces step into a role, which Bellamy will slightly adjust depending on the strengths and weaknesses of the faces stepping in.

Sure, with those changes mentioned, they may well struggle and lose some games. However, you will not see them turn into a directionless rabble and getting lapped on the scoreboard like we saw today.

40 nil says they do

I dont know but if you take 6 regular first grade players out of any team id think they would struggle... hey but thats me.

You have to go back almost a decade to find that anomaly. I can point out multiple games just this season where we have looked lost and rudderless.

you can points out a thousand games where we look that way and it will make no difference.

The point is take 9 players out of any team including 2 (truthfully 3) out of the spine and they also look lost and rudderless.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7