Laurie Daley supports Matai tackle as legit

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Brissie Kid

Bencher
Choked on my corn flakes when I saw this earlier. Daley in defence of Matai!

League is a sport for gladiators so we must not confuse raw aggression with foul play
Laurie Daley
The Daily Telegraph

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/league-is-a-sport-for-gladiators-so-we-must-not-confuse-raw-aggression-with-foul-play/story-e6frext9-1226634984343

RUGBY league is a sport for gladiators. Always has been, always should be.

Which brings me to Steve Matai's tackle on young George Burgess that has caused so much debate this week.

I'll admit I'm with Geoff Toovey on this one - I reckon it was a ripper, and I don't believe Matai should have been suspended for it.

I get the point that it is crucial our game protects our stars from foul and illegal play and I agree there is no place for spear tackles like the two Richie Fa'aoso did on Greg Inglis.

While I don't think Richie would have gone out intentionally to harm GI, the fact it happened twice in the one game, for me, was enough to warrant a send-off. But there is a fine line between aggressive play and foul play - and I don't think Matai crossed it last Friday night.

When dealing with these issues it is always important to remember rugby league is a contact sport. Its foundations are built on confrontation and collision.

It's been that way for over 100 years. I remember back to my playing days when we had blokes like Ian Roberts, David Gillespie and Trevor Gillmeister who were not only the most feared players of their time but among the most respected.

I remember back to Spud Carroll and Chief Harragon going after each other in those great old games that helped built the rivalry we now have between Manly and Newcastle.

Like Matai, these players of the past all walked the tightrope with the way they played the game - but I will tell you this: I believe the game is better for those memories.

Fans loved the way those blokes played their footy back then, just like Manly fans love the way Steve Matai goes about his business in 2013.

I know times have changed and mostly I agree they have changed for the good. But my argument here is that if you sanitise the game too much you will eventually destroy part of the fabric that made it so great.

In my eyes it was the intensity and brutal defence that helped make last Friday night's battle at Brookvale so special. Remember it was 2-0 at halftime, not a try had been scored, and we were still saying it was the best 40 minutes of football of the season.

It's that intensity I want to see in my players in Origin next month.

Sure, we have to be conscious of the game's image and we can't tolerate foul play. And we want to sell the game to more women and make parents feel the game is a safe sport for their children to play.

But, again, at the elite level, it is important to understand that there is a difference between foul play and physical play. And it is a fine line.

The game is nowhere near as violent as it was back in the 1970s and the administrators have done a great job cleaning it up. The billion-dollar television deal is proof we are heading in the right direction.

But it's not always the razzle-dazzle that brings in the fans. I have looked at the Matai tackle over and over and the thing is the more times you slow it down the more times you see it coming off the ball.

If you watch it closely it is almost impossible to even say if there was actually contact made with the head.

Any way you look it, the force that rocked George Burgess came from the impact on the ball - it had nothing to do with the head contact.

And the other point here is this: If it was any other player, do they get suspended?

We see hits like that every week, where initial contact bounces up off the ball, and players don't have a charge to answer.

Maybe they aren't as spectacular as the hit Matai produced but I go back to the fact the force came from the impact at first contact, off the ball.

I am a firm believer there should be some leeway given if the initial contact is made in a legal position and unfortunately, through power or whatever it is, you bounce off and make accidental contact with the head.

Steve Matai is old school and is one of the few surviving hit men in our game.

He thrives on collision and intimidation and, at times, he has overstepped the mark in the past.

But I don't think he did last Friday.

Yes he got Matai right - thanks for only publishing after he's been suspended - but still thinks Fa'aoso should have been sent.

Interesting though that various commentators are coming out defending some of our guys. What's the world coming to?

What i dont get is that GI gets dropped on his fat melon...and we have to protect our "STARS" what about the other poor blokes running around are they fair game....
If Richie had dropped a debutant on his melon would it be more like "what a welcome to the frist grade son"....

And I think Richie got what the 2 tackles deserved unfortunately.

Laurie Daley said:
And the other point here is this: If it was any other player, do they get suspended? We see hits like that every week, where initial contact bounces up off the ball, and players don't have a charge to answer. Steve Matai is old school and is one of the few surviving hit men in our game.
Take a bow Laurie Daley! Finally some honest logic from a media article!

Moondog said:
Now I'm just waiting for Warren Ryan to come out and declare that he's always been a secret Manly fan..
He is the ultimate hypocrite.:mad:
Malignes our Team but bets his monies on Manly.

2011 GF I was listening to his call at the end to hear him choke on his bile at our win. All he was complaining about was Robbo not getting a clear shot at the goal 'as I have Manly at 13+' :mad:

HappilyManly said:
Moondog said:
Now I'm just waiting for Warren Ryan to come out and declare that he's always been a secret Manly fan..
He is the ultimate hypocrite.:mad:
Malignes our Team but bets his monies on Manly.

2011 GF I was listening to his call at the end to hear him choke on his bile at our win. All he was complaining about was Robbo not getting a clear shot at the goal 'as I have Manly at 13+' :mad:
I'd hate to think that Manly had anything to do with increasing Ryans bank balance, even indirectly.

Well said Loz. As has already been stated though, it would have been nice for him to come out & say this last Saturday before Matai was cited, & not this Saturday.

As has been said here....He's only saying what we all knew at the actual time of the tackle.

Methinks someone wrote that for him. Doesn't read like Loz sounds.

He also may be foreshadowing a very aggressive approach by NSW in the interstate series coming up?

This all just illustrates that the on field and video refs last Fri night lost it totally. They were out of their depth yet none of them were reprimanded. It was complete incompetence the whole game. If Souffs had lost that game due to the decisions that cost us then the media would have been howling for refs blood and the piss weak NRL would have given it to them.

From 'whats the buzz' column

RON Coote was the best cover defender I've seen on a football field. To give you an idea how good he was, the tackle Scott Sattler made in Penrith's 2003 grand final victory was what Coote used to do almost every week.The former Test captain has firm views on THAT Steve Matai tackle on George Burgess last weekend. "I would have sent him straight off," says Coote, who also served on the judiciary for a decade."They say it was an accident and his arm bounced off the ball. The fact is Burgess is a head taller than him and he had to jump up to get him - he's a repeat offender."

Wish we fought it. The panel, ex players, surely would have had to agree. Saying that another week off will freshen him up! Probably got some niggles..

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4