Latest from Danny Wielder on our halves - greater insight or more BS?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Shaka1eye

Reserve Grader
Manly muddle

If Manly want to keep Daly-Cherry Evans at the club, a simple first step is necessary – they need to sit him and Brett Stewart down and let them work through their differences. Depending on who you talk to, the pair either don't communicate or do so grudgingly for only team reasons. It's no secret Manly were a divided team last year – and the treatment of Glenn Stewart was the heart of the problem.

The non-offer to Glenn Stewart followed by the voluntary departure of Sea Eagles great Anthony Watmough was the direct result. How Geoff Toovey held the team together was one of the great achievements of last season. The problem is still lingering – because Brett Stewart wasn't allowed to leave and because Cherry-Evans is still at the club.

The issue stems back to a threat from Cherry-Evans at his last contract upgrade that he wouldn't train with the side unless he got the money. Whether he said it – or it was a thought planted by his management – it was a taken as gospel by the senior playing group and the split began.

Without saying who is to blame, it's fair to say something must be done to smooth the path. The problem is Cherry-Evans isn't winning any friends at the club by courting other teams, but he has to look after himself – or more importantly his young family.

Brett Stewart is a club legend and he has had his best pre-season in years. It followed a spectacular finish to the season where he was close to untouchable. Clearly Stewart is a professional and Cherry-Evans was good enough to handle the internal heat and still be selected for Australia and Queensland. Whether he feels the situation between the two can be resolved or he is happy to ride through the drama and co-exist with Stewart is up to him.

The situation with Kieran Foran is less complicated. Foran has nothing but friends at Manly, and is one of the most respected players in the NRL. His issue is not money – it's long-term success.

He wants to play in a side that can win competitions; the money can look after itself. Foran will compare what Manly have to offer only with successful clubs – such as the Roosters and the Bulldogs – or a team with potential to be something, like the Eels. What he has to comprehend and is too modest to ever admit is that wherever he goes that club will be successful.

Manly's challenge will be to show Foran what he is going to be surrounded by and who is staying and why they will be strong. They've lost key players – not just Glenn Stewart and Watmough. The likes of Jason King and Brent Kite have left as well. Ironically it may be an easier decision for Foran to stay if Cherry-Evans does. But from what this column gets told, the two are making decisions without knowing what the other is doing.

So Weidler the worm has said it so it must be true!

Seriously this is a professional game. If what he mentions is true, do you not think that club and Joe Kelly would not have already done some mediation to resolve any differences that these 2 or any other players have?

Big Mounth didnt volunteer his way out , he forced his way out and the club were smart enough to grant him a release as he was intent on destroying the team morale and from what we heard this week the decision was very much the right one.

We exist in the era of salary cap and these guys are professionals. Every fan just about was angry that we could not retain Glenn or Kitey or other players who have left.

The club has done all it can to placate our big 2, done everything possible to right the ship after a calamitous end to 2014.

The big 2 just need to commit one way or another. Thats all the fans want now. We are inside 2 weeks to go to the season now and this needs to be sorted now.

Its a simple choice, you are either with us or you want out! Nothing more to be said!

players not getting on or not talking isnt new in rugby league, you would have to be kidding yourself if you thought every clubs roster of 30 different personalities and egos all got on.

for years fatty vautin and noel cleal hated each other and never spoke a word to each other, yet they existed as captain and vice captain in premiership winning sides, there is 28 other players dce and snake can talk to , this is nothing

Weidler's problem here is that we know his source. All Watamouth. All BS.

its watmoughs fault for the next 10 things -ok. Last time I looked it is the coach and CEOs job to run the club. Let's hope our great club gets back on track, attracts more sponsors and our boys have a relatively injury free year.

Rubbish

The problem with the halves is their relationships with Tooves.To say the least it hasn't been great.The new CEO and the Penns have done a lot to address that and apparently it is heaps better on that front.Until the fiasco at the Titans a couple of days ago I think DCE was probably going from what I heard from Titans people.Now we must be a chance to keep both and if so a lot of credit must go to the CEO for sorting the communication problems. Foran needs to make up his mind NOW.He was the one who said he needs to sort it by season start- SO SORT IT! A mate of mine at last night game said his body language was exactly the same as the back end of last year.

Last edited:
.....and Watmough leaving has taken most of the acrimony at the club with him.He was the major problem.

Didn't think we were off track.
I'm just saying in any business you can't just blame the staff (players) The leaders set and police culture. For years we have read about dramas. Let's hope the leaders can now (without 2 owners arguing) steer the ship to a top 4 finish (hopefully better :)) and a profit. That will be the judge of our on or off "track" plan.

Crisis club Gold Goast Titans struggling to keep bid for Manly’s Daly Cherry-Evans alive

Privately, Titans officials believe they are still a fighting chance to sign Cherry-Evans — who turned 26 last Friday — given the size of their three-year $3 million dollar offer.

But money isn’t everything.

Cherry-Evans, with his boyish looks and clean-skin image, is at the prime of his career and his management are taking a strategic approach into furnishing their star client’s ‘brand’ off the field.

He also has a young family with wife Vessa and relies on the support of family on the Northern Beaches.

As of Saturday, the Titans offer is considered over and above that of any other club, but given the current stench on the Coast — what use is Cherry-Evans gracing billboards in team playing gear, when the Queensland Crime and Corruption Commission have the power to end the careers of his possible future team-mates?

This latest scandal is just another in a long line of issues which have confronted the Gold Coast club since returning to the NRL in 2007.

Salary cap rorts, off-field player dramas, dwindling crowds, no major sponsor and the sacking of coach John Cartwright last year has left the Titans nursing a black eye that never heals.

The Bulldogs’ interest in Cherry-Evans — and his Manly halves partner Kieran Foran — is not surprising given the ties with former Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler.

The Dogs have halfback Trent Hodkinson off-contract at the end of 2015 and while intermediate discussions are under way, Hasler isn’t alone in showing interest in signing the 2014 Dally M halfback of the year.

In his second year at the helm, Parramatta coach Brad Arthur continues to assess his playing roster and without Jarryd Hayne, is eager to secure a game-changer like Cherry-Evans — or Foran.

The Sharks have held talks with Cherry Evans’ management and the Sutherland Shire club believes they can come up with a package that will entice Cherry-Evans to the club, which in-turn would make him one of the club’s biggest ever signings. Cherry-Evans’ mateship with current Cronulla five-eighth Ben Barba is also a major lure.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/cr...erry-evans-alive/story-fndujljl-1227233989269

Rubbish

The problem with the halves is their relationships with Tooves.To say the least it hasn't been great.The new CEO and the Penns have done a lot to address that and apparently it is heaps better on that front.Until the fiasco at the Titans a couple of days ago I think DCE was probably going from what I heard from Titans people.Now we must be a chance to keep both and if so a lot of credit must go to the CEO for sorting the communication problems. Foran needs to make up his mind NOW.He was the one who said he needs to sort it by season start- SO SORT IT! A mate of mine at last night game said his body language was exactly the same as the back end of last year.
Best post i have read for a long time.

I don't think anyone said anything was Choc's fault on this thread. We just said he was the leak to Weidler. The source is a disgruntled former player who has gone public with his "hate" for the club. I think it's fair to say that calls into question the credibility of the story even before you consider the biggest threat to its credibility. - the fact it was written by Danny Weidler...

I don't think anyone said anything was Choc's fault on this thread. We just said he was the leak to Weidler. The source is a disgruntled former player who has gone public with his "hate" for the club. I think it's fair to say that calls into question the credibility of the story even before you consider the biggest threat to its credibility. - the fact it was written by Danny Weidler...
Yeah don't believe everything you read in the papers. Some people have done is less favours than others. That's an interesting question. Which journalists do we believe "like" or are at least "fair" with manly and who just like to report on our misery at any chance??

Slow NRL news day again. We have an nrl club teetering on the brink of oblivion due to drugs scandal and this fukwit continues to write gossip column stories on us. Total garbage coming from the mouth of a disgruntled tool of an ex player.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2