Last 10 years of nrl

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Im james and this is my story

Been a footy lover since i was old enough to remember. 40 plus years. Could never get enough but these days i just dont get it

In those years ive
Axed foxtel which i had for many years
Stopped watching just about all other games
Stopped buying RLW and big league which i had done since i started getting pocket money
Stopped watching all footy shows on tv
Unless manly is scheduled , friday night footy is not even a consideration ever
Stopped even finding out who plays on a sunday
I wont watch channel 9 news as there are alternatives and have trained the family to question themselves before pushing 9 on the remote always.

This has resulted in my son being a manly fan but he has no desire to watch footy. And when i do its generally n the i pad with headphones so he wont get interested at this rate.

We were a family if footy heads, were. I still read a bit but i am not a customer anymore

I watch manly games, origin, tests against the poms as i like there style and thats it. In recent seasons ive even missed the odd manly game when i was in a position to watch it.

I will always be a manly fan but the admin has just destroyed it. The runnng of the game, the constant rule changes, the refs , the judiciary, the media coverage, channel 9. So in my eyes everything bad about footy is as a result of the admin. All this at a time when i have more time and opportunity than ive ever had

I can live without the biffo, i can live without the shoulder charge, id now like to live without the idiots turning this once great game into a ridiculous joke

And then they appointed terdberg.

In saying that i still like the footy, i just miss the contest that it was once. most games are decided by people not involved In the actual game

Dogberg being appointed NRL CEO is certainly a low point. If you need Ridgey's book back for some inspiration so let me know haha.

Been a footy lover since i was old enough to remember. 40 plus years. Could never get enough but these days i just dont get it

In those years ive
Stopped buying RLW and big league which i had done since i started getting pocket money
I wont watch channel 9 news as there are alternatives and have trained the family to question themselves before pushing 9 on the remote always.

This has resulted in my son being a manly fan but he has no desire to watch footy. And when i do its generally n the i pad with headphones so he wont get interested at this rate.

We were a family if footy heads, were. I still read a bit but i am not a customer anymore

I watch manly games, origin, tests against the poms as i like there style and thats it. In recent seasons ive even missed the odd manly game when i was in a position to watch it.

I will always be a manly fan but the admin has just destroyed it. The runnng of the game, the constant rule changes, the refs , the judiciary, the media coverage, channel 9. So in my eyes everything bad about footy is as a result of the admin. All this at a time when i have more time and opportunity than ive ever had

I can live without the biffo, i can live without the shoulder charge, id now like to live without the idiots turning this once great game into a ridiculous joke

In saying that i still like the footy, i just miss the contest that it was once. most games are decided by people not involved In the actual game
A mate commented about my lack of enthusiasm the other week regarding the footy and Manly. Said he never thought he see the day when I wasn't going completely hypo before the start of a season...this year he got ...Meh!...totally agree, seems the people pulling the strings have no clue. Where as the ones I believe that should be in NRL HQ ( Gould, Tooves, Sterlo, Bennett) are not.

I also have been a fan and player since the late 60's and I can tell you the exact moment in time when all the issues you mentioned were conceived.

The first time I heard the word "interpretation" used by match officials along with referee's "managing games". Every ill that has befallen the game has been an extension of these two odious concepts.

I kind of get that James, to the point where I my 13 year old son who watches classic match replays with me from the 80's & 90's finds the old games tougher & in some ways...more skilful.
But tbh, I can't get enough footy....watch every game....most footy shows....coach juniors....even still play touch, oz tag & Masters footy between, nursing a busted knee of 20 years.....in Summer I start counting down days till the trials.....have plenty of other hobbies including music, all beach activities & the odd bit of work, but must confess- love my footy, even if I don't totally agree with its evolution...

In those years ive

I share your pain, but I'm still a Foxtel subscriber and do watch more games as a result, in fact it's quite a treat to be sitting in the middle of nowhere and set the Sat Dish up to get the games.

I however don't watch any of those stupid football shows , especially the 9 one who's has been garbage for years.

Like most on here I'm over games being decided not by the players but by seemingly biased refs, last weeks Parramatta game just the perfect example of a total stich up.

The one thing that keeps me interested is the skill levels today compared to say the 80's are like chalk and cheese, what they can do today is sometimes spellbinding.

But that's the only thing that's improved in 10 years, most other facets of the game have gone backwards.

Dogberg being appointed NRL CEO is certainly a low point. If you need Ridgey's book back for some inspiration so let me know haha.

Nah mate, you hang on to it. Ill be moving again at the end of the year ill let you know if i have some more, i reckon i do

I share your pain, but I'm still a Foxtel subscriber and do watch more games as a result, in fact it's quite a treat to be sitting in the middle of nowhere and set the Sat Dish up to get the games.

I however don't watch any of those stupid football shows , especially the 9 one who's has been garbage for years.

Like most on here I'm over games being decided not by the players but by seemingly biased refs, last weeks Parramatta game just the perfect example of a total stich up.

The one thing that keeps me interested is the skill levels today compared to say the 80's are like chalk and cheese, what they can do today is sometimes spellbinding.

But that's the only thing that's improved in 10 years, most other facets of the game have gone backwards.
I think the ability to create back in the 80's -90's Mark was a stretch better....the ability to create from nothing like vintage Cliffy is rubbed out by junior rep teams coaching so structured- if a player tries something that doesn't work - they get noosed....never again to show the great natural talent they possess....
I do agree todays atheletes are superior, with 110kg wingers & freakish aerial tries ect - but skill factor & support - there's no Cliffies or T Lambs....this is why the Jack Bird, Milford athletic types are so exciting - they don't take instructions & they don't know what they are going to do till they size up the defence & let footy instincts take over from there...pure atheletes playing natural footy - great to see.

Tell me. Would you rather watch the style of play Ipswich initiated last season or the normal NRL predictable play?
That is my reason why rugby league is not nearly as exciting as it should be.

In those years ive

hi james I am in the same boat i have been involved with the team years ago as per my name zambuck this game has changed so clinically over the past 5 years that I have only watched our televised games and as I live in QLD its a bit far to brooky for an old guy to go, they have taken the contest away qand now refs run it look at penalty counts one way in the first half then the catch up in the second half, as for interchange reductions, they increased it years ago as some players were having meltdowns of muscle due to playing in very hot conditions, and this improved player safety,now they reduce it ,sorry wait for the meltdowns when they start again this is not taking player safety serious making them play longer, one day someone will die and there will be an uproar sorry about the underlines my computer is playing up, and I wanted to vent my spleen with you,another disheartened supporter

I know a lot of people who's interest is less than half what it was in the days a decade or so ago.

Myself included.

In those years ive

Excellent post James.........! :clap:

The NRL is certainly destroying our great game and I am very disheartened at the moment.

My Dad who is also a passionate Manly fan, very rarely watches any games, even a game we play in these days. He thinks the NRL, Murdoch, other media in general, money and too many hands in the pie have totally wrecked* the game. (*His word here is a little more colourful lol.)

It is very sad actually, because Rugby League is one of the greatest sports in the world. But over the past few years the NRL product is not great at all and is progressively getting worse. I will not be surprised if more and more people stop consuming this product.

Tell me. Would you rather watch the style of play Ipswich initiated last season or the normal NRL predictable play?
That is my reason why rugby league is not nearly as exciting as it should be.

The nrl is very robotic compared to ippy, as too the pommy footy. While id prefer that im still pretty happy with nrls content as such, as long as its not tampered with by officials to the extent it currently is.

I like watching Ipswich play up here in the Q cup and I love the Pacific test matches more than NZ v Aussies or even Origin

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6