Lack of trials

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Disco

First Grader
Premium Member
See a lot of posts lambasting the team and certain players.

But for mine the performance was pretty solid but lacked that match sharpness that comes from playing competitive footy.

I know a lot here want players wrapped in cotton wool pres season to avoid injury but I have always been an advocate of a couple of trials. One that is mostly fringe players with the big names getting 20-30min, then another that is practically a full hit out.

People say our attack was pedestrian but it was Cherry, Turbo and Jake's first game, Walker only played All stars and Levi has never played with the other 4............that is our 5 key attacking layers right there.

Lets face it, yesterday the Storm were playing Rnd1 and we were playing our trial match

I thought defensively showed great attitude....as shown by 3 Storm tries from precision kicks aided by great bounces...but credit to the Storm chasers and quality kicks, as in reflection our kicking game was very ordinary giving up 7 tackle sets and unable to maintain repeat sets like the Storm.
This was the main difference between the teams, as making ground through the middle we were every bit as good, yet they ended their sets with better options and results.

From memory, we rarely win our opening game so just as long we are there come September is all that counts. Plus I expect the competition will either be suspended or canceled within the next two weeks.

26 rounds plus rep games is a long season. Comps arent won it rd 1. To be honest with the draw we've been dealt 2/4 to start the year is a pass mark. If Turbo played a trial and got injured we'd all be questioning why he played. The boys were definitely underdone and Andrew Johns actually said prior to the season that it will take Manly a few weeks to find our groove

We are all quite aware of the apparent first round losing stat for Manly over recent history. In fact, many supporters use the stat as if it actually causes us to lose the first round every year, and it's to be expected. Of course, historical stats don't cause us to lose games, but they may well point to something happening. I'm curious to explore what may be behind this.

Is there something in our pre-season preparation and training philosophy towards the season? Has Des, and perhaps other Manly coaches over the years, adopted certain training load philosophies that knowingly sacrifice certain competitive advantages in the early season with the aim of building and peaking at critical times during the year? And related to this topic, do we place less focus on physical contact and real game time during the pre-season in preference for other aspects like building stamina and fitness?

Is there a degree of strategy? Do we go out in early season games with much simpler and more limited game plans and trick plays, not wanting to give opponents too much of a look into what we have so early in the season... and then start unveiling more valued plans and plays at the pointy end of the season? Balance between time to gel and execute master plans against time given to opposition to study and counter-plan against it.

And how much does the mental game come into it. Is the team and coaching staff aware of this historical curiosity and does that get into their heads? Do they carry any sub-conscious beliefs around whether they can win the first round?

I just find the situation curious and I'm interested to look into it. There must be some substantive influences into the first round record of Manly, say as opposed to the Storm?

Last edited:
We can hate him, criticise him BUT there’s no doubt he’s a master at work.

And based on yesterday no reason he can’t play on past 500 games.
If he does plan to play on and given the situation of this season,it’s a big chance,Manly should be doing all they can to get Harry Grant from the Storm because he won’t want to spend another season in reggies.This is obviously dependent on how the Fainu case pans out and if there is even a Manly or NRL next year of course

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6