Knights sound out Farrar for return to home club

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Rodo

Goldmember
Tipping Member
Here we go, teams are starting to look at Farrar...

From the Newcastle Herald
http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/sport/rugby-union/knights-sound-out-farrar-for-return-to-home-club/1895857.aspx?storypage=0

Knights sound out Farrar for return to home club
BY BRETT KEEBLE
27 Jul, 2010 04:00 AM

CLASSY Manly utility back Ben Farrar said he would consider returning to Newcastle to play for the Knights if he was unable to secure a new deal with the Sea Eagles.
Off contract at the end of this season, the 23-year-old Western Suburbs Rosellas product is yet to re-sign with Manly, who play the Knights at EnergyAustralia Stadium next Monday night.

Knights coach Rick Stone and recruitment manager Keith Onslow have discussed the idea of trying to lure the Newcastle-born former junior back to the club, and have gone as far as sounding out Farrar's manager, George Mimis, about that scenario.

Farrar said he was negotiating a contract extension with the Sea Eagles, who he joined midway through last season after 2? years at North Queensland.

"I'm not quite sure what's happening there at the moment," Farrar said.

"It's a bit up in the air at the moment - I'd love to stay here, but I don't know what's going on.

"We're in negotiations so . . . hopefully I'll get something sorted in the next few weeks."

Asked if he would contemplate playing for the Knights, he said: "Yeah, absolutely mate. I'd consider anything, but I haven't seen anything yet."

Farrar played schoolboys and juniors with Knights Jarrod Mullen, Cory Paterson and Scott Dureau, and Penrith halfback Luke Walsh, before joining Parramatta in 2005 then moving on to the Cowboys two years later.

"He's a player off contract and obviously he's got some links to Newcastle. But we've been linked to most people around and we haven't spoken to him at this stage," Stone said.

Manly media manager Peter Peters said the Sea Eagles hoped to re-sign Kiwi Test centre Steve Matai, possibly by the end of this week, then would turn their attention to retaining Farrar.

Playing at fullback since round three as a replacement for injured former NSW and Australian representative Brett Stewart, Farrar has started all 18 games for Manly this season.

In his 69 career appearances for the Sea Eagles and Cowboys, he has played mostly at centre or on the wing but has also played a handful of games at five-eighth.

"He's certainly someone that has been discussed, many, many times . . . and he's someone who will continue to be discussed," Onslow said.

"We've spoken to George Mimis about him but there's probably a couple of other irons in the fire, with regards to a centre position, that we're still weighing up.

"That includes the incumbents, and there's still a bit out there. But Benny has been discussed, he's a local kid, and he's playing good footy for a good footy team."

Not for the first time when contacted by the Newcastle Herald to answer questions about one of the players he represents, Mimis did not return a call yesterday.

-----------
Sorry Dan I still can't get the Submit Articles button to work.

You cant get it to work because you aren't logged in on the main part of the site.

MadMarcus link said:
How many players have we actually signed or re-signed since Lowe started?
..thats what i would like to know i guess  choc, gifty ,  & jamie lyon are the only  certain ones i know of

As much as I like the way Benny plays, I think the signature of Foran is a larger priority then that of Farrar's.

i don't think Farrar offers much.  He's OK, but to small and to slow to really get excited about.  Matai is much more of a priority I would think.  Thanks for filling in, but that's about all he is, a fill-in. 

TerryRandall link said:
And yes, I realise we can't sign everyone, before someone points this out.
We can't sign everyone . . . oh bugger, you beat me to it.

DSM5 link said:
i don't think Farrar offers much.  He's OK, but to small and to slow to really get excited about.  Matai is much more of a priority I would think.  Thanks for filling in, but that's about all he is, a fill-in. 

I disagree.  Sure he's not a superstar, but as a value proposition I think he is a very important part of the team.

You can't have a team full of superstars.  Well, actually you can, but then you get stripped of your premierships...

I think its also that Farrars future largely depends on Matai.
If Matai goes were in need of some experience at centre. Whare will go on to big things but he's still young.

Assuming BStewart is fit and free (Big assumption). We will have plenty of depth at fullback next year. Farrar might struggle to find a spot in the team.

Whilst hes been tremendous for us since arriving, he might not be part of Dessies plans for the future

TerryRandall link said:
Why do we have to finalise Matai negotiations before \"turning our attention\" to signing Farrar? Are we not able to handle more than one contract negotiation at the same time. Farrar should have been signed long ago - regardless of B.Stewart outcome, he offers significant utility value. And yes, I realise we can't sign everyone, before someone points this out.

jjai link said:
[quote author=MadMarcus link=topic=184331.msg279023#msg279023 date=1280190919]
How many players have we actually signed or re-signed since Lowe started?
..thats what i would like to know i guess  choc, gifty ,  & jamie lyon are the only  certain ones i know of
[/quote]

Got our junior back from the dogs as well, Harrison?

Dan link said:
You cant get it to work because you aren't logged in on the main part of the site.

I think I am logged onto the main part of the site.  When you say main part which area are you referring to?  The front home page indicates I am logged in and when I click on the "Submit Article" button the Add Article page opens up and over that page a warning dialog box comes up which says "Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site http://silvertails.net/articles/submit-article.  Operation aborted."  And then when I click the OK button the page goes blank and I get the Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage page.  I am running IE7 and have always had this problem when trying to submit articles.

hmm interesting. That is somthing I can go with.

Do you have Firefox installed and can you try it with that. I think this may be an issue with the WYSIWYG editor. I will PM you shortly

Surely it depends on whether or not we offload Bailey to the Sharks.

If Bailey goes, Benny gets the utility spot. If Bailey stays, we can't pay them both.

TerryRandall link said:
The secret to staying ahead of the salary cap is to recognise talent early, and sign players up before their potential is recognised by others ie before the asking price goes up. We seem to wait until everyone else recognises the value in our players before we start negotiations.

Yes and then you get the problems of signing people up who have obviously over performed early. Imagine if we signed Aaron Groom up on a 5 year deal on massive dollars like everyone wanted to!!

Am a big supporter of Farrar, I like what he has done for our club, but if he is the sacrifice for Matai, I can live with that

Farrar will be dependable but not a match winner, I think Matai can be a match winner, which I probably wouldn't have said prior to watching his attacking form this season

Hoppa can fill the fullback role if need be and same with Whare in the centres. Would still like to hold onto Farrar, and still stand by my claim last year that he should be given life membership of the club after chopping down that Slater mongrel last season as he was on the way to a match winner

I can deal with losing Farrar even with how good he has been to us,in the end he deserves bigger bucks than we can afford and we have to see FORAN AND MATAI as signings for sure,Then pay the man who will sit in the 25 for the sake of just covering our top squad,in my opinion if our full squad was fit,Farrar would find himself sitting next to Cross and Smoking Joe

I think Farrer has shown these last two seasons that he is our number 1 back 5 back up. In fact having him covers 5/8 as well as he can take Lyon's centre and Lyon can move there. We should keep him for that depth - someone is always injured/suspended.

This is the negative side to winning a premiership as we did in 08. All the players who played in 08, their wages all increased by quite a lot, when signing for their next contract. e.g wolfman, robbo, stewarts. Because of this we seeming to not have enough money to keep players such as Farrar, Matai, who are not the top priorities.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7