Kevvie Walters: An opportunity missed

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Harvies elbow

I'm a country member....... " Yes we remember "
2017 Tipping Competitor
The more I look at it in coaching appointments that could have been made at this club the more I think that he should have been our coach. He had always expressed a desire to coach a nrl team and had played under and assisted the best. Don Furner, Bennett, Fulton Bellamy etc. I think he would have been a good fit at this club.
Maybe it's not too late for when he finishes origin but I'd be talking to him now. Hopefully Bozo will.

Should have included that I would still have Tooves in charge but if they must go down that path Walters would have been my choice.

I would like to see the Walker Brothers given a chance to coach an NRL team. They think outside the box, and would change some of the defensive elements of the average NRL coach's 'game-plan'.
I doubt though that an NRL club would take the punt on such a radical approach. They seem to all adopt the "let's not lose" philosophy rather than the "let's outscore our opponents" game-plan the Walkers adopt.

I would like to see the Walker Brothers given a chance to coach an NRL team. They think outside the box, and would change some of the defensive elements of the average NRL coach's 'game-plan'.
I doubt though that an NRL club would take the punt on such a radical approach. They seem to all adopt the "let's not lose" philosophy rather than the "let's outscore our opponents" game-plan the Walkers adopt.
Agreed. Actually I'd like to see the whole GAME take that approach. I love great defence but the attack has become so much the same from one team to the next. And defensive patterns would work it out to a large degree so you wouldn't get many 42-32 scorelines just a bit more variety. Drop the interchange to 6 as well.

Did you get to the game at narrabeen? Biggest load of rubbish I've ever seen . Side way running And silly kick offs . It was like watching crap touch footy

Trent Barrett's first grade and representative coaches were:

Club footy - Allan McMahon (Steelers), Andrew Farrar (Steelers, St Merge), David Waite (St Merge), Nathan Brown (St Merge), Ricky Stuart (Sharks), Shane Flanagan (Sharks)

Rep footy - Brian Smith (Country), Craig Bellamy (Country, NSW), Tom Raudonikis (NSW), Wayne Pearce (NSW), Phil Gould (NSW), Ricky Stuart (NSW), Chris Anderson (Australia), Wayne Bennett (Australia).

Some pretty handy coaches there to learn from. Bellamy, Gould, Anderson, Bennett, Waite. Plus he worked with Ivan Cleary at Penrith and has been working with Bozo at Manly.

Question is, has any of it rubbed off on him?

Trent Barrett's first grade and representative coaches were:

Club footy - Allan McMahon (Steelers), Andrew Farrar (Steelers, St Merge), David Waite (St Merge), Nathan Brown (St Merge), Ricky Stuart (Sharks), Shane Flanagan (Sharks)

Rep footy - Brian Smith (Country), Craig Bellamy (Country, NSW), Tom Raudonikis (NSW), Wayne Pearce (NSW), Phil Gould (NSW), Ricky Stuart (NSW), Chris Anderson (Australia), Wayne Bennett (Australia).

Some pretty handy coaches there to learn from. Bellamy, Gould, Anderson, Bennett, Waite. Plus he worked with Ivan Cleary at Penrith and has been working with Bozo at Manly.

Question is, has any of it rubbed off on him?
That's good stuff HV8. There is some quality. To me Walters always seemed hungry for a job. Always talking about it in interviews long before he got the Qld job.Trent don't seem so hungry. Maybe he is. The other thing is I can understand what kevvies saying. Unusual for a queenslander I know.
Trent has about as much colour as NZs old cricket shirts.
Prefer him to Cartwright though who's even more colourless

Did you get to the game at narrabeen? Biggest load of rubbish I've ever seen . Side way running And silly kick offs . It was like watching crap touch footy
Didn't work too well that day did it lol I don't think they recovered one short kick off the whole game!!

That free wheeling rubbish might work ok in the lower tiers, but against an NRL defense it just looks shambolic. And embarrassing. Anyone can say "let's do things outside the box" but the true innovators develop new approaches within a structured framework.
Whilst I agree Terry I think a man with your defensive capabilities would also agree that as the art has largely gone out of tackling so too has it gone from attack. The same block plays being used for backline movements over and over again etc. Simply reducing the interchange to 6 would help bring back ad lib attacking movement but just for variation the walker bros are a breath of fresh air.
I watched a replay of the 1970 gf last year and was amazed at the variance of plays. A deep backline, different kicks in situations, a lot of inside balls and the players may have been slower all up but the game wasn't. In fact play the balls were quicker. There was a touch of rugby about it which I'm not a great fan of but there seemed to be more options.
Also a good game to see Bob Batty in action which I hadn't before. What a ball runner.

The team they coached that year was plundered by NRL clubs. We have their best at 9 fo us.

Hbcds stupid call. I'm really pleased that you being there for that trial became relevant though.

If I thought starting a petition to get Kevvie to the club would work, I'd do it. Love him.
But it won't.
So I won't.

Last edited:
The team they coached that year was plundered by NRL clubs. We have their best at 9 fo us.

Hbcds stupid call. I'm really pleased that you being there for that trial became relevant though.
Would they have changed the game plan with the other players? If that's stupid my apologies.

Meninga coached QLD to a thousand series wins but I wouldn't let him near our side. No different for Walters imo. Or Daley for that matter.

Origin form is no guide for NRL. And vice versa. Particularly rookie coaches.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7