• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
My Norton anti-virus is expiring so I thought i'd try a Kaspersky product for my home PC, but when I went on their site I couldn't work out which product I should get. Any suggestions?

@[SeaEagleRock8],

I have not been impressed with Kaspersky Labs Pure 2.0. I have had a lot of issues with licencing over the 8 months that I have had it installed.

The problem that I have is that every once in a while it will shut off all protection and say that my licence is invalid.

Their fix is that you have to try and run another update as the latest update may be corrupted. This doesn't always work either and another fix is to re-synchronise your computer clock and then run the update again. Their other option is to fully uninstall and re-install the product to see if that fixes the problem. I have had to do this about a month after the original install and it looks like I may have to do it again as I am currently having the problem again today and it is really giving me the you know whats as nothing seems to be working besides restarting my computer and having protection for about 10 to 20 minutes before it shuts itself off again.

I would never recommend this product to anybody and I will definitely be changing over to another antivirus/internet security company product once my 2 year licence expires next year (that's if I last with it that long if I can't get it working properly beforehand).

thanks @[Jethro], as it happens I went with the devil I knew and renewed my Norton, pleased I did after reading what happened to you!

@[SeaEagleRock8],

Well, after writing that burst above your reply, I then went and uninstalled the product and then had a lot of trouble trying to get it to re-install. It would appear to re-install and when you restart the computer, the damn product wouldn't start even trying to start it manually wouldn't start it. After many uninstall, re-installs, I ended up having to go into the registry and delete all references to Kaspersky and then re-installing it and then it worked about 10 minutes ago and still appears to going okay.

Good luck with your Norton choice. I had Norton 360 before Kaspersky and I never had a problem with it but chose to not renew it as I wanted to support the company who supports our team. Big mistake that was so far. I will have to do my home work over the next 16 months to see who I choose to protect my computers :)

I dont use virus protection, I like the thrill of coming up against malware and viruses, that's just how I roll.

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
You're such a thrill seeker Dan :D

Mybludog said:
My AVG is up for renewal now and i was thinking of changing to Kaspersky but after reading about Jethro's probs i think i'll stay with AVG

@[SeaEagleRock8] & @[Mybludog]

Well, my Kaspersky PURE 2.0 has been playing up again over the last couple of days with issues with licencing yet again and has switched off all internet security twice in the last hour.

Microsoft security essentials is free and does the job more than good enough for the average user.

If your surfing habits push the boundaries and into areas of high amounts of viruses and malware i suggest surfing in a Sandbox environment for double the protection.

Paying for Anti virus software is a waste of money unless it is so far ahead of the rest but i have not looked up the latest results comparisons in recent times so i might be wrong.

Jethro said:
Mybludog said:
My AVG is up for renewal now and i was thinking of changing to Kaspersky but after reading about Jethro's probs i think i'll stay with AVG

@[SeaEagleRock8] & @[Mybludog]

Well, my Kaspersky PURE 2.0 has been playing up again over the last couple of days with issues with licencing yet again and has switched off all internet security twice in the last hour.

and yet again :mad:

I've been running pure 2.0 since the 2011 offer. Never had a problem with it. Now sure about renewing at years end just due to price.

I was going to give it a go but just didn't want to take the chance of stuffing my computer.
Went with AVG again.......maybe next time

@SeaEagleRock8
@Mybludog
@manlyfan76

I would like to update my thoughts on Kaspersky PURE. Since the introduction and free upgrade from Kaspersky PURE 2.0 to Kaspersky PURE 3.0 about 3 or 4 months ago, I have not to this date had one problem with the product.

I don't use any direct anti virus like Norton or Kaspersky. Overrated and if you stay away from bad sites then generally you have nothing to worry about.Never had a problem without one.

I don't use any direct anti virus like Norton or Kaspersky. Overrated and if you stay away from bad sites then generally you have nothing to worry about.Never had a problem without one.
But how do you watch the good stuff online?

I don’t use a windows machine. I have a Linux computer for personal use and Mac for work. Windows ends in pure frustration and I tend to navigate my computer almost purely through keyboard

I don’t use a windows machine. I have a Linux computer for personal use and Mac for work. Windows ends in pure frustration and I tend to navigate my computer almost purely through keyboard
Ive just reserected my pc after 3-4 years, vista runnong at the moment but thinking of xubuntu or similar linux system.

Ive just reserected my pc after 3-4 years, vista runnong at the moment but thinking of xubuntu or similar linux system.

Linux is nothing to be afraid of, my computer isnt an old one, its pretty much brand new, but it had windows and I just wasn't willing to stay with windows, Windows makes me less productive.

If you are new to Linux, I would say stick with the major distros like Ubuntu or Linux Mint. You then have some decisions to make on "desktop". I personally like gnome but many hate it. A lot of people go for KDE or Cinnamon.

I wouldn't go for something like I use such as Manjaro unless you are familiar with it. Manjaro is a simplified build of Arch and I would have gone with raw Arch but wanted to get up and running quickly.

Manjaro is pretty awesome, but once Ubuntu switches back to gnome I may migrate back just because of the wider support although the AUR in Arch is awesome but dangerous.

Dan

Linux is nothing to be afraid of, my computer isnt an old one, its pretty much brand new, but it had windows and I just wasn't willing to stay with windows, Windows makes me less productive.

If you are new to Linux, I would say stick with the major distros like Ubuntu or Linux Mint. You then have some decisions to make on "desktop". I personally like gnome but many hate it. A lot of people go for KDE or Cinnamon.

I wouldn't go for something like I use such as Manjaro unless you are familiar with it. Manjaro is a simplified build of Arch and I would have gone with raw Arch but wanted to get up and running quickly.

Manjaro is pretty awesome, but once Ubuntu switches back to gnome I may migrate back just because of the wider support although the AUR in Arch is awesome but dangerous.

Dan

I will go the basic route. Only really got it going so i could export all my pics and rare albums off of it.
But now its goimg i will probably torrent some stuff and stream some games.
Tablet has taken over prety much.

Yea windows is frustrating at times as you can install it no probs but soon as you connect to the internet then things go to crap.Its all the updates that cause a lot of problems rather than viruses.I have had viruses with Norton and Kaspersky but at the end of the day it’s keeping only the stuff you need on your machine and keeping the hard drives free of useless stuff.Learning what goes where and why is more important than any paid anti virus.I will never buy an anti virus on a yearly subscription,just a waste for me.I have found that on occasions I have had to re-install windows and I put that down to crappy drivers or shocking windows updates.MBAM is a great tool to just set and leave for windows.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7