Kapow / Walker - there's a new sheriff!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
As much as all this media BS is usually laughable, I have a different angle on the Kapow/ Walker situation.
The stories maybe fabricated, but there would be tension in certain aspects.
Both are head strong and roll to the beat of their own drums and having a newby coach in Barrett - probably had a fair bit of leeway.....they are not used to the dominance from a coach like Hasler, who has Full control of his troops like any good coach should.
This is part of a bond where players individually, regardless how good they are can have an adverse effect on a team that starts to pull in different directions....which will show in tough games when the team with that strong bond will usually finish over the top of the team that has individuals who are not as united in the trenches.
Personally feel both these boys are Massive talents and also Kapow in particular, busted his a** in most games regardless of the games outcome, but still seems a bit of a solo man who runs his own race and this is a trait Des will look to change imo - not the confident Kapow side, just the unity within the group.
He wants unification 100%, which is what takes a team to that next level.
Would be surprised to see either player gone (until 2020), but can see some tension in the way the New sheriff will expect things to be, where the latitude for prima donsa will be zero.
As the unit becomes tighter, the individual players will buy into the recipe if it is successful and proves a winning way....and this is when these 2 players will be even bigger assets in 2019.

As much as all this media BS is usually laughable, I have a different angle on the Kapow/ Walker situation.
The stories maybe fabricated, but there would be tension in certain aspects.
Both are head strong and roll to the beat of their own drums and having a newby coach in Barrett - probably had a fair bit of leeway.....they are not used to the dominance from a coach like Hasler, who has Full control of his troops like any good coach should.
This is part of a bond where players individually, regardless how good they are can have an adverse effect on a team that starts to pull in different directions....which will show in tough games when the team with that strong bond will usually finish over the top of the team that has individuals who are not as united in the trenches.
Personally feel both these boys are Massive talents and also Kapow in particular, busted his a** in most games regardless of the games outcome, but still seems a bit of a solo man who runs his own race and this is a trait Des will look to change imo - not the confident Kapow side, just the unity within the group.
He wants unification 100%, which is what takes a team to that next level.
Would be surprised to see either player gone (until 2020), but can see some tension in the way the New sheriff will expect things to be, where the latitude for prima donsa will be zero.
As the unit becomes tighter, the individual players will buy into the recipe if it is successful and proves a winning way....and this is when these 2 players will be even bigger assets in 2019.
Great post easily post of the week
Very well written

Hasler’s way or the highway lads.
We haven’t really had value for money from either.
Hopefully If they jump on the Des train we will. If not let them go and get blokes who will by in to the culture Des and his team will create

I agree it would be a rude shock and not limited to those two with DCE and both Turbos also with being chummy with Trent. However i think their careers will go up to another level if they buy into what Des brings

One or the other will leave i think ,walkz is used to it from maguire but kapow may not like it ,my choice to stay would be marty but i see walker staying longer ,in the end both will free up lots of much needed money and thats what old desmond will want most look at what he turned a certain unknown matai into he could easily craft another unknown cheapy into a gun and have more money in the kitty if one of these two dont tow the line that will be the play possibly

Hasler’s way or the highway lads.
We haven’t really had value for money from either.
Hopefully If they jump on the Des train we will. If not let them go and get blokes who will by in to the culture Des and his team will create
Interesting comment..you have said recently that you have not been watching Manly games the last couple of years,(or is that just not going to home games?)and you now say that we have not gotten value for money from Taupau and Walker.Seriously mate....they are 2 of a very effing small group who have put in,they might not fit the Des mould of what he wants and so be it if so.But to criticize them for their efforts is piss poor from you,they have put in and to lay the boot in is weak.Yeah they may go but they have been and will be 2 guys who have tried their guts out the last couple of years.Des will get the side in time he wants and as he coach that is only right,but fxxk me,I am sick of people laying the boot into guys who are supposedly not interested in getting on the Des bus with no facts about it.What so many people seem to be ignoring is that Des has as much to prove to us Manly supporters as any of the effing players......

Loco I agree with you 100%...............to say neither have put in is definitely a bit rich. Both have put in just as much as the Trbos & others in the team, however the Trbos seem to be the Golden Children for most on here! Say something against them & you get shot down! For mine Marty & Walker add a lot to this team. If they both go we are f#cked! If it's a case of cap space then perhaps one of the Trbos should be released! They're both on bigger $$$ than either Marty or Walker. We have a ready made replacement for Tom T in young Hoppa & with the money saved we go after Will Hoppa! To be honest I'm not quite sure where all this angst about Marty & Walker has come from. Where has anybody read that they don't want to fit into the Manly culture? From what i read in the media it's the Trbos that are the most outspoken & not the other two so who really doesn't fit into the Manly culture? I will cop it for daring to suggest we get rid of a Trbo but i stand by what I say.

Lose Taupau on $900k but linked to Klemmer reportedly going to be on $1.1m (knights deal)?

We have cap pressure. If we get rid of Taupau it would be to ease that pressure by downgrading.

Didn't say I thought it was a good idea. Just said I can't believe it hasn't happened.

I haven’t seen 1 post about shedding players.
Its not about bagging the mentioned players, simply Des will take more charge and bond the team more which is needed.
As mentioned originally, these players will only improve with this mentality, rather than being a disjointed team pulling in different directions....not that hard to understand

All I am interested in is seeing players who are committed to our cause, it was clear in the 2nd half of last season that Taupau was troubled and I hope he can sort that out. Dylan needs a big season!, Injuries killed last season for him and we need some strike out wide and some decent defence.

End of the day, if these players want out, well let them go and give their places to guys who really want to play for our club!

You do realise we were bottom of the ladder with these players...
And if you don't ease cap pressure you'll never make another signing.

The cap is all about value for money. Taupaus deal has been backended. We got him great value for money initially but now he isn't worth the $900k pricetag making him an obvious option for moving on...in my opinion.

And no one is suggesting getting rid of all the best players...
But getting rid of backended deal players who now aren't worth the money their on... Makes sense.

AFB would be half the cost of Taupau and is doing an equal, if not better job of impacting a game from a props perspective.

900k spent on winning the metres battle is wasted if it doesn't win you games. This happened many times this year.
Yes I do realize we were at the bottom of the ladder Batty, however that was not due to Marty or Walker. For mine they're both better value than the Trbos, who 'm sure are on bigger money. Tom is caught out of position on many occasions, pushes passes & drops balls whilst Jake is good for numerous penalties & mouthing off. Both have cost us in winning games. We get rid of Marty & Walker, sign replacements who are not as good & you believe we'll climb the ladder?

All I am interested in is seeing players who are committed to our cause, it was clear in the 2nd half of last season that Taupau was troubled and I hope he can sort that out. Dylan needs a big season!, Injuries killed last season for him and we need some strike out wide and some decent defence.

End of the day, if these players want out, well let them go and give their places to guys who really want to play for our club!
Sheridan, the only people saying Marty & Walker want out are the d!ckhead journos & many in here! I've not once heard either say they want out, yet many in here seem to want them gone to ease cap space & sign who? Whoever we sign will not be in the same class & we will end up at the bottom of the table again! Anyway not gonna say anymore. I hope they stay, prove the doubters wrong & we get rid of the real deadwood!

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6