Kapow best utilized....

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
The bloke does enough to earn more winning results if his mates can rally behind him and take advantage of his Powerful charges.
Kapow has morphed into a player who was once simply 20 minutes impact - into a 60 minute BIG player with higher workrate.
I often get caught between what he brings -
Less time on field where his massive metres, were also maximized by quicker play the balls and his defence packed more aggression and contact
in his defence for shorter periods OR....
what he brings atm, big runs and high workrate.
I always prefer him on the field, but with a more solid side, could use that extra punch where quality beats quantity to really swing a games momentum also.

The answer is probably "in another team". Whether that's another Manly team or elsewhere, I don't know. But it's kinda ridiculous that he (and AFB) can post such good stats personally without lifting the team as a whole.

Get the impression that Marty has a tendency to want to do things his way [ mainly in attack ] and which does not always work in the team 's best interests or conductive to good playing patterns . Admittedly on very serious money at Manly but when he is on song and playing to his strengths with some disciplined focus , is a very important asset for Manly .

The answer is probably "in another team". Whether that's another Manly team or elsewhere, I don't know. But it's kinda ridiculous that he (and AFB) can post such good stats personally without lifting the team as a whole.
Hey Ron E - could do with the bloke in your icon - he would give us a lift for sure - an all time Top 5 favourite of mine!

Get the impression that Marty has a tendency to want to do things his way [ mainly in attack ] and which does not always work in the team 's best interests or conductive to good playing patterns . Admittedly on very serious money at Manly but when he is on song and playing to his strengths with some disciplined focus , is a very important asset for Manly .
Good point Al - not to knock the big man as he aims up with big meters every week, but gives the appearance of playing for himself on and off field.....anyways, just got to find his best role....

Good point Al - not to knock the big man as he aims up with big meters every week, but gives the appearance of playing for himself on and off field.....anyways, just got to find his best role....
His best role is prop, because he makes the most metres. He does what he is suppose to do as a prop. The hard yards. And he tops the offloads. It's the halves/ hookers job to tell him where to be or what play to run. You can't say a prop isn't a team player when decisions are made for them. What the team needs Marty to do, he does and does well. This is a playmakers issue if there is one

He’s an impressive individual but not the best team player. Reminds me of a lot of nba guys who like to do trick shots and highlight plays but won’t defend - their teams rarely win in the finals but they post great numbers.

His best role is prop, because he makes the most metres. He does what he is suppose to do as a prop. The hard yards. And he tops the offloads. It's the halves/ hookers job to tell him where to be or what play to run. You can't say a prop isn't a team player when decisions are made for them. What the team needs Marty to do, he does and does well. This is a playmakers issue if there is one
I don't believe Kapow as an International premier front rower needs to be told where to run by anyone.
He will pick his targets "off" the ball and try run over them to blow up the middle.
He does this better than most, if not any - with only the speed of his play the ball not matching his powerful charges.
The play makers have issues of not talking enough, but that's another thread.

I thought all year our defensive issues were when Marty went off after about 30 minutes.

We need another quality prop in our rotation. Every decent team has 3 or 4 in their 17.

We have two of the best props in the game, it's a good place to start from.

I thought all year our defensive issues were when Marty went off after about 30 minutes.

We need another quality prop in our rotation. Every decent team has 3 or 4 in their 17.

We have two of the best props in the game, it's a good place to start from.
Really need Paseka to step up , a big task for someone like Sipley to also do this [ though maybe doable ] See Tanga and now with lane gone more suited as a backrower but can still be very effective in the middle [ at least in attack ] Ideally still need a seasoned and tough prop to recruit .

Sean, I agree with all you say ... the disclaimer however is if ... if Kapow is doing what the halves and hooker (and coach) are asking him to do ....

PS ... I don't know if he is or isn't ...

I don't believe Kapow as an International premier front rower needs to be told where to run by anyone.
He will pick his targets "off" the ball and try run over them to blow up the middle.
He does this better than most, if not any - with only the speed of his play the ball not matching his powerful charges.

The point is if the halves are setting up for a play and want Marty to go left and open up space on the right for the next play that everyone is expecting ... and suddenly Marty picks his own target and tears off to the right and throws a hail Mary offload 15m behind the line ......

Not saying this is happening .... just that as @sean john mentioned .... there is more to being prop than just making metres ... they must be team players as well ...

Both afb and kapow are great offensive props however poor defensively. I would kill for another kite, Bryant etc. paseka and tangles are also known for their offense. It’s a real problem.

The point is if the halves are setting up for a play and want Marty to go left and open up space on the right for the next play that everyone is expecting ... and suddenly Marty picks his own target and tears off to the right and throws a hail Mary offload 15m behind the line ......

Not saying this is happening .... just that as @sean john mentioned .... there is more to being prop than just making metres ... they must be team players as well ...
That's the 1....he certainly bangs on the gates on that left side and its hard to argue with the logic of making a dent in the middle on that side....though I
would sometimes love to see him running a tad wider near the try line at the halves on the edge.
His best asset to compliment the big yards would be a super fast play the ball - this is the best way to help his halves and ensure the right shift has Walker
running at a back peddling defensive line.

That's the 1....he certainly bangs on the gates on that left side and its hard to argue with the logic of making a dent in the middle on that side....though I
would sometimes love to see him running a tad wider near the try line at the halves on the edge.
His best asset to compliment the big yards would be a super fast play the ball - this is the best way to help his halves and ensure the right shift has Walker
running at a back peddling defensive line.

Kapow is certainly a weapon ..... but even the ancients soon learnt that regardless of how powerful a war elephant was ..... it was useless if it couldn't be controlled or directed .....

Who calls the plays? Taupau? Who tells the team where they want to be on the field by the 4th tackle? Taupau? Set plays and strategic sets called by the playmakers indeed tell their forwards where they need to be and what lines to run during gameplay. Generally put in place by coaching staff during training sessions. Its almost like cherry Evans calling a snap but Taupau wouldn't run the cut because he is an international prop. Please... this isn't under 12s. I've played enough competitive and representative rugby league to understand that this wouldn't happen at NRL level

Sean, I agree with all you say ... the disclaimer however is if ... if Kapow is doing what the halves and hooker (and coach) are asking him to do ....

PS ... I don't know if he is or isn't ...
You'd be able to see it on the field if that's the case. I haven't seen Marty once this year leave a ball player short or hanging. Maybe I'm short sighted.. I dunno but u can generally tell by the fluency of it all. The times It hasn't been so smooth, I can't say it was because of Taupau, as I can't remember if he was in the picture at the time.but when I have noticed I believe it's more down to the halves and their decision making.

I see what your saying now.. from that perspective perhaps. I guess no one really knows but the team itself

Who calls the plays? Taupau? Who tells the team where they want to be on the field by the 4th tackle? Taupau? Set plays and strategic sets called by the playmakers indeed tell their forwards where they need to be and what lines to run during gameplay. Generally put in place by coaching staff during training sessions. Its almost like cherry Evans calling a snap but Taupau wouldn't run the cut because he is an international prop. Please... this isn't under 12s. I've played enough competitive and representative rugby league to understand that this wouldn't happen at NRL level

Lets not pretend anyone thinks Marty directs plays - did someone tell you that?

Set plays tell the entire team where to be, as this is part of a structure that relates to more than the player getting the ball.
Others on here may have played a bit of Rugby league also and have an idea of the game.

As for U12's - they also have plays and structures that are practiced at training so yes they do start young.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4