Kangaroos job between Sheens and Hasler

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Rambo1987

Bencher
Kangaroos job between Sheens and Hasler
Glenn Jackson | February 24, 2009

ST GEORGE Illawarra have ruled a line through the prospect of Wayne Bennett taking the Australian coaching role, making it a race between Tim Sheens and Des Hasler for the job.

The 10-man Australian Rugby League board will decide on a replacement for Ricky Stuart today. The Sharks coach was sacked after his heated exchange with referee Ashley Klein following the Kangaroos' World Cup final loss last November.

Sheens and Hasler are believed to be the only viable options after Dragons chief executive Peter Doust effectively ruled out Bennett. The ARL directors have appeared to go cool on Titans coach John Cartwright.

Queensland directors will press ahead with plans to have Queensland coach Mal Meninga installed by attempting to convince the board to abolish its policy of not allowing a state coach to take charge of the national side. But with NSW directors recently endorsing the policy and holding the numbers in the boardroom, the Queenslanders are likely to fail.

"We'll still be pushing ahead with that," said John McDonald, the QRL chairman. "In 2009, I don't think there should be any restriction.

"You'd like to have a coach who's not associated with a team, but the person in charge must be up to speed with what's going on. I think Mal's the best man for the job and I think the players deserve that."

McDonald said the Queensland directors would not be voting as a bloc on a candidate should their attempts to have Meninga endorsed fail and have not even discussed other options, making it a virtual toss-up as to who the board would opt for between the Wests Tigers and Sea Eagles mentors. "We'll go in there with an open mind," McDonald said. "Tim Sheens and Des Hasler have both got good credentials, as have others."

The decision will be made today by Colin Love, Bob Millward, Barry Pierce, Terry Quinn, John Chalk, Geoff Carr and their Queensland counterparts McDonald, Ross Livermore, Terry Mackenroth and Peter Betros. An announcement is expected soon after, provided the anointed coach accepts the role.

"I've had a couple of yarns with a couple of coaches, but this is not by application, it's by invitation," Carr said. "The reason why it's such an open discussion is there's no out-and-out favourite. There are a lot of quality coaches. We like to have the best coach."

Doust strongly suggested Bennett would decline any offer, even after withdrawing from his assistant's role with the New Zealand team just days before today's meeting.

"I haven't discussed it with him, so I think it's fair to say I don't think he has any intention of coaching at representative level this year," Doust said.

Asked whether the club would allow Bennett to coach the Kangaroos, he said: "That's irrelevant."

Livermore added: "I haven't spoken to Wayne about it and I'd be surprised if he was keen because he said he wanted to concentrate on St George Illawarra. If he won't have time for the New Zealand team he won't have time for the Australian team. I don't think Wayne will be putting his hat in the ring."

Meanwhile, the NRL board yesterday endorsed chief executive David Gallop's hardline stance over Wests Tigers star Benji Marshall's wish to play an off-season in Japan.

Marshall is off contract at the this year and hopes to sign on for a lucrative stint in Japan before returning to the Tigers next year and beyond. "The board's view is that rugby league is not a part-time occupation," Gallop said.

Ads by Google
Balmain Rugby 2009
Players, Coaches, Managers needed Australia's fastest growing club!

Sheens wins!!  I think this is great for us, Des only having to worry about City/Country if anything.  Sure it would've been great for him but if you look at it, Des is still such a young coach (5yrs) and no rep duties really.  Plus the most important thing - BACK TO BACK Premierships!

From news.com.au

WESTS Tigers mastercoach Tim Sheens has been appointed coach of the Kangaroos at a board meeting in Sydney this afternoon.

As foreshadowed in The Daily Telegraph today, the Australian Rugby League board opted for the most experienced coach in the game to replace Ricky Stuart, who was forced to resign after he abused referee Ashley Klien the day after Australia lost the World Cup final to New Zealand last year.

What do you make of the appointment? Debate below

It is understood Sheens was given the game’s highest honour despite Queensland directors pushing for Maroons coach Mal Meninga – and some late politicking behind the scenes for Manly coach Des Hasler.

Sheens, 58, has coached 568 first-grade games. His previous representative experience has been limited to one series coaching NSW in 1991. He has been Country Origin coach for the last two years. Hasler is expected to replace him.

An official announcement on Sheens’ appointment is expected shortly.

He was a great coach, still is....not so sure, he hasnt had the best roster, but hasn't done much with them either since 2005.

Whilst it would have been good for Des, I would prefer him looking after Manly than having additional duties, especially now that Dennis Moore is looking after the Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles, and Des has had to appoint a new assistant (by the way who is the assistant coach this year?)

Des deserved this accolade. I have nothing against Sheens but Des has proved to be the coach of the moment. I believe he will probably take over from Sheens eventually and that would be a fitting highlight for the General of Manly.

Sheens is more experienced and I believe deserves the position. He has dealt with star studded line ups before.

Whilst it would have been an honour for Des to get the job, I am pleased he didn't, more time to concentrate on another Grand Final win!!!

What backgprund does Egan have in coaching, to me it is a bit of a left field choice

Played for the Bears, coached in the Queensland Cup and I believe was an assistant coach at the Cowboys for a while.

Either way, he's been getting good reports already from his stint at Manly.

Good to hear. Tooves is another good man to have around, I hope his passion is infectious. I saw orford give up the argument with refs once or twice last year, Toovey would have argued every point to the death

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2