Josh Starling

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ryan

Journey Man
1441510838075.jpg

Josh Starling has been nominated for the Ken Stephen Medal which recognises the efforts of an NRL player who has not only achieved on field, but also contributed to community projects off-field.

Ken Stephen was an administrator who devoted 28 years to the NSWRL in various capacities who retired shortly before his death in 1988. Since 1988 the Award has honoured the likes of Wayne Pearce, Peter Sterling, Nathan Hindmarsh and Johnathan Thurston for their contributions to the game and the community.

A player is nominated by his club for his involvement in charity work, youth development or community support that demonstrates his ability as a community role model.

Nomination Criteria
  • Player must demonstrate their significant/unique contribution to the community through Rugby League
  • Player must demonstrate their NRL values of excellence, courage, inclusiveness and team work
  • Player must have a history of donating their own time to assist community organisations outside of regular Club commitments as well as shown empathy with the community.
  • Player must have been contracted as an NRL Player for a minimum of three years
  • Reputation intact on and off the field, Players that have been suspended for more than 3 weeks in the 2015 season will not be considered
  • Player must have played at least 5 NRL Games in the 2015 season
Rabbitohs and Raiders have not nominated for this year's medal.

To vote for Josh click here!

Bit of a shame he was injured for a lot of the season, I think he was a lot better this season than he was last. Especially running the ball. Done the business off the bench in just about every game he played this year.

Voted.

I thought he was one of the players we were moving on? I'm pleased that's not the case.

Personally I think this award should be assessed on terms more than "colour blindness"

I have read all submissions and also considered the way the individual acts on the field, and in some cases their reported off field activities

Putting my Manly bias aside I see this as a field of 7 (In no particular order)
1. Tariq Sims
2. Tim Mannah
3. Josh Starling
4. Keith Galloway
5. Joel Thompson
6. Dayne Weston
7. Michael Morgan

I have voted on merit and encourage all members of this forum to do the same. And may the best man (still hope its Starling) receive a worthy recognition

Last edited:
Did @Technical Coach vote for morgan?

I'd like Michael Morgan to win it because he contributes in the areas of mental health and youth suicide, which I believe doesn't get enough funding and support.
How much is enough funding and is there a correlation between more funding in this area and reduced rates of mental health issues and youth suicide---it appears from basic analysis that more funding is having little or no impact which suggests to me we are going about fixing the issues the wrong way.

How much is enough funding and is there a correlation between more funding in this area and reduced rates of mental health issues and youth suicide---it appears from basic analysis that more funding is having little or no impact which suggests to me we are going about fixing the issues the wrong way.
I think we are starting to see mental health become more socially acceptable as a result of education so I don't think it's all bad. However, the government closed down a lot of mental health facilities a few years back, meaning those in need of an intervention are being swept in and out of the few places we have left before they really should be.

It's just my opinion, but it seems that sufferers of mental illness are not given the same level of care and respect as say a cancer patient simply because we can't take a blood test and categorically say "you have a mental illness". Yes, we can scan the brain for schizophrenia, but even then, suffers are complete social outcasts. We'd never treat a man in a wheel chair the same way we treat a person walking down the street talking to themselves with their undies on their head.

How much funding is enough? We know you don't believe in mental illness. And yes TC, there have been increases in mental health funding in recent years. But look more deeply.

Q: After these funding increases, how does Aust now compare with comparable OECD countries in funding mental health?
A: OECD countries, on average, allocate about 14% of their health budget to mental illness. In Australia, we provide about half of that (7% to 8%)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-10/australia-lagging-on-spend-on-mental-health/6457766

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4