Josh Aloiai, and membership discussions.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I know he was the best forward in the game and that alone should help when getting a Nrl quality player in return or an unproven young gun.Its not rocket surgery ?
:rolleyes::oops:@:rolleyes::wondering:

AFB is not even close to the best forward in the game under the new 6 again, touch footy rules.

Post contact metres are as useful as tits on a bull in this environment.

Supersonic ruck speed is where it is at....and AFB is not near the top in that metric.

I thought it was handled pretty well. The thing I liked about it was it was decisive - we didn't have to read about it in the news for days.

A couple of other comments on things that have been posted lately:

- I thought it funny that the Chairman of the Tigers said that Josh could mow the lawns. I am pretty sure this is a constructive redundancy, so by all means they should go ahead with that.

- I think that if Josh wilfully breaches his current contract, the Tigers terminate his contract as a result and the NRL decide to refuse to register his 2021 contract with Manly (or whether), there are arguments that it would not be an unlawful restraint of trade. Restraints are unlawful unless reasonable and in the public interest - the same test was applied in the De Belin case. In my view, it would not be unreasonable for, and there are public interest arguments in favour of, the NRL refusing to register a contract of a player who deliberately breached their last contract as a tactic to join a new club.

I want Josh to come to Manly in 2021, but only with the Tigers' blessing (even if grudgingly given).
I will wait for this to be tested in court before I concede. Terry Hill proved many things about the restraint of trade laws. May have been many years ago but I will still wait for better legal minds than mine to decide.

AFB is not even close to the best forward in the game under the new 6 again, touch footy rules.

Supersonic ruck speed is where it is at....and AFB is not near the top in that metric.

Bang on with this comment. He slows down our ruck speed and stuns the rest of our set.
finding your hands and knees are now the key

In fact ( I was reading this ) post contact metres are now considered desirable by the defensive side , and in fact they are happy to give these away whilst resetting their defence.

So what is good one week isn’t necessarily good #NextWeek

Last edited:
In fact ( I was reading this ) post contra metres are now considered desirable by the defensive side , and in fact they are happy to give these away whilst resetting their defence.

Yep .. I first made this observation way back about 5 weeks after the new rules came in ...

Agree AFB is a keeper ... but ... I am interested in @The better Robbo and your thoughts ...

I have a recurring thought that the change is the 6 again rule needs to see a change in the way AFB plays ... before he used to rumble up to the line, a brief acceleration, wait for 3 players to jump on, and then rumble slowly for another 5m ... and we all marvelled at the post contact metres ... and it was effective ..

However, now ... he does the same thing ... slow rumble up etc ...we still cheer the post contact metres ... but the opposition don't care about the post contact metres any more, because it is not done at speed, the rest of the defence simply take the opportunity to get set for the next run ... and worse, we don't hit the same spot again with a big body with intent ... we slowly play the ball for 2 slow passes before the line and change the point of attack to a defensive line that is well set and waiting ...

Compare the storm ... big bodies simply pushing off the fence and running hard and straight ... and at the same point .... poor Cust was targeted as the spot ... and they hit him repeatedly at speed and power ....

Sorry Max, rambled a bit ... but back to my point ... I think under the new rules AFB has to watch that Parra player .. Jnr something .... and just start coming of the back fence and put impact and destruction as priorities ... not slow rumbling post contact metres ...

In fact ( I was reading this ) post contra metres are now considered desirable by the defensive side , and in fact they are happy to give these away whilst resetting their defence.

That seems to be the way.
Ricky Stuart kind of started the "surrender" tackle back when he was coaching the Chooks, pretty much anticipating the tackle and then hitting the deck to force the quick release and subsequent roll on or gain a penalty.
Now with the leniency ref's give the defending side - that little dance whilst two defenders keep the ball carrier on his feet but lock the ball up even after the call of held - post contact metres are pretty much a nice sounding stat but they are in most cases a "defensive win" unless they come out the other side!

If a player isn't looking to offload then his post contact metres don't really count for much if he's not breaking the line, teams are so well drilled now that they know who's just going to charge it up and who's looking to hit and spin.
A player like Marty is always a threat of an offload but his post contact metres might be lower - higher risk but greater reward if he has the teammates backing him up.

That seems to be the way.
Ricky Stuart kind of started the "surrender" tackle back when he was coaching the Chooks, pretty much anticipating the tackle and then hitting the deck to force the quick release and subsequent roll on or gain a penalty.
Now with the leniency ref's give the defending side - that little dance whilst two defenders keep the ball carrier on his feet but lock the ball up even after the call of held - post contact metres are pretty much a nice sounding stat but they are in most cases a "defensive win" unless they come out the other side!

If a player isn't looking to offload then his post contact metres don't really count for much if he's not breaking the line, teams are so well drilled now that they know who's just going to charge it up and who's looking to hit and spin.
A player like Marty is always a threat of an offload but his post contact metres might be lower - higher risk but greater reward if he has the teammates backing him up.

These super fast edge second rowers who get up and play the ball at warp speed are the new flavour of the month , Garner might be one of those ( if we get him).

I will wait for this to be tested in court before I concede. Terry Hill proved many things about the restraint of trade laws. May have been many years ago but I will still wait for better legal minds than mine to decide.
All good. You may well be right but the facts of the case matter.

Hardly an authoritative piece, but I found this article interesting on whether the AFL draft is a restraint of trade (I have posted it in other threads): The AFL and Restraint of Trade - Sports Industry AU

Driving to work today I heard a caller to BSB who was adamant there is way more to the Aloiai story and it will all come out. And while he is being painted the villain, that is far from the truth. Just one anonymous caller but it always seemed obvious to me there is more to it.
Should be resolved pretty soon anyway I'd say.

post contact metres are pretty much a nice sounding stat but they are in most cases a "defensive win" unless they come out the other side!

The one and only objective is to get into a field position that sees your 5th and 6th tackle played in an attacking position .. that attacking kick on the last for a try or repeat set are the difference in today's game ..

Under the old rules, the best way to get up the field was the extra 5m post contact by the big boys .. now it's about exploiting un-set defences with speed and fast play the balls anywhere on the field ...

All good. You may well be right but the facts of the case matter.

Hardly an authoritative piece, but I found this article interesting on whether the AFL draft is a restraint of trade (I have posted it in other threads): The AFL and Restraint of Trade - Sports Industry AU
Interesting they mention the AFL would get crushed in the Tippett case as a restraint of trade. My memory is that he was under contract to Adelaide but wanted a trade to Sydney. Anyway thanks for the article. I will say again though .... if it was so easy to block a player moving to another club why has no other club taken this hardline stand. Anyway... let's see how this plays out.

That's right, all we have to do is figure out which ones are fair dinkum. It was clear to me this bloke knew what he was talking about, he reckoned the Tigpies are a basket case :)

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4