Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Josh Aloiai

Moondad

Super Coach Member
Reaction score
Spud Carroll on Aloiai

Aloiai has been one of the NRL’s improvers and the former Tiger could form a fearsome one-two punch in the middle of the field alongside Sea Eagles tyro Marty Taupau at his new home in Brookvale.

A consistent, no-nonsense performer on the field, Aloiai also isn’t bad with the gloves on. He was a talented junior fighter and those in the know believe he just might be the best boxer in the NRL.

“Manly need it,” Carroll said. “Aloiai has to replace Addin Fonua-Blake and they are big shoes to fill. He talks a big game. I want to see what he’s got. If he has the same antics at Manly as he did at Wests, Dessie (Hasler) won’t put up with that **** at all.”

The Who

Premium Member
Reaction score
Spud Carroll on Aloiai

Aloiai has been one of the NRL’s improvers and the former Tiger could form a fearsome one-two punch in the middle of the field alongside Sea Eagles tyro Marty Taupau at his new home in Brookvale.

A consistent, no-nonsense performer on the field, Aloiai also isn’t bad with the gloves on. He was a talented junior fighter and those in the know believe he just might be the best boxer in the NRL.

“Manly need it,” Carroll said. “Aloiai has to replace Addin Fonua-Blake and they are big shoes to fill. He talks a big game. I want to see what he’s got. If he has the same antics at Manly as he did at Wests, Dessie (Hasler) won’t put up with that **** at all.”
What antics is he referring to?

Batty

Reaction score
Dont see him as a line running edge backrower - just my view
You’re probably 100% right.
I just thought Des maybe up to something. Joel Thompson was 6’3 and 103kg. Josh is 6’2 and 106kg so not too different. Has a history in the backrow.

Interested to see who earns the 2nd backrow spot. Hopefully not Gosie.

The better Robbo

Reaction score
I just thought Des maybe up to something. Joel Thompson was 6’3 and 103kg. Josh is 6’2 and 106kg so not too different. Has a history in the backrow.

Davey and Olakau-atu can fill that void aswell. Both are huge units and run good lines. I reckon Siro had better improve or he'll find himself benched much like eels did with Lane

Batty

Reaction score
Davey and Olakau-atu can fill that void aswell. Both are huge units and run good lines. I reckon Siro had better improve or he'll find himself benched much like eels did with Lane
Looks like they all may get their chance as I don’t think too many can (or haven’t had the chance to) play a full 80 like Thommo used to.

I think Davey would be great. Runs great lines. Solid defensively. Very committed. He’d be my pick.

Olakau’atu is a handful for the defensive line and will draw defenders in but could only see that happening under limited minutes at a time.

Gosie has shown what he’s capable of and although injury plagued him a little last year, I think the gap between his best and worst is too far to ever be a solid first grader.

• 👍
Reactions: Ned

maxta

Premium Member
Reaction score
What antics is he referring to?
I reckon the antics are simply the fact Aloiai blew up about an ordinary offer, in relation to what he gave on the field....he only had rave reviews from team mates and obviously the coaching staff who only got dirty when he wanted out to join Manly, again only on the back of mismanagement on their part.

The Who

Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't see how you can fit Sir Loin, Guaca, Davy and Jetski into the top 17 without unbalancing the bench (figuratively speaking)
What I'd like, if players are all available, is Sir Loin and Guaca starting in the second row with Jetski on the bench as he has the added utility factor of being able to play in the backline.
The other bench players 'should' be: two front rowers (between Tent, Kapow, Kepi, Vera, Lance, Sippers), and Foran/The Shoe as the utility.

Shane4500

Reaction score

yes I suppose my concern is the ability to run those lines on an edge. I have not watched him closely obviously seeing he wasn't an Eagle but I think his game is more hit through the middle quick play the ball and he has a good stand and offload. Running the lines required on an edge is a very different skill. Yes Gosie is a question mark. He has great ethnusiasm, can run some good lines etc but I think he is just not consistent enough. This will have to be his prove it year in my opinion.

double hoops

Reaction score
Anyone recall what was the extent of AIAs knee injury?

It was reported he didn't do an ACL late 2020. I can't find confirmation, but I seem to have a vague memory that there might have been a backflip, and he did tear his ACL?

Solid player when fit. Just hope our club Drs let him get fully fit before giving him a run what ever it was.

Last year our club seemed to bring blokes back who to the eye didn't look ready. It was injury after injury by players just returning from injury.

Jake started the year when it seemed unlikely to be ready, given the lateness of his shoulder surgery. Important player, but he ended up not being himself the entire year.

Club no doubt have experts who say they are right to go.

Just Hoping the club might play the long game in 2021, just give em an extra week, an extra month just in case. It will be the fitness of players come August, September, October that will decide our season.

manly al

Premium Member
Reaction score
Fortunately there is some depth in the front row stocks so if there is some delay in his [ Alioia ] recovery ,should be no big deal . Think that there is going to be a fair bit of consideration whether Paseka should start with Marty in any case even if Josh is ready to go at season start . Sure that Sipley and Boyle would be primed to go as well and hope that Keppie can continue his improvement which seemed to stall a bit at different stages last season .

BOZO

The Incomparable Immortal Bob Fulton
Premium Member
Reaction score
The psychological part the game makes a difference

Jake is a great forward but he has the temperament of an alter boy

Our pack lacks intimidation .

Aloiai is the Aggressor and the Assassin that our pack needs

He is The eyes of the Tiger in our Eagles pack

I hope he can inspire the others to be a bit more aggressive

Controlled aggression like the one from smiling assassins .

8E81848C-D0E5-4F9D-909D-5EDD106B1A79.png

manly al

Premium Member
Reaction score
Haven 't seen much of him playing [ well almost zero actually ] but he [ Alioia ] looks like a pretty solid and mobile unit . Even allowing for injuries , some of the defence around the ruck for Manly last season was quite ordinary , Paseka was aiming up O K and Jake reasonably solid but definitely need some more starch there and especially with A F B moving on . Hopefully Alioia can bring some controlled aggression to the pack .

maxta

Premium Member
Reaction score
Haven 't seen much of him playing [ well almost zero actually ] but he [ Alioia ] looks like a pretty solid and mobile unit . Even allowing for injuries , some of the defence around the ruck for Manly last season was quite ordinary , Paseka was aiming up O K and Jake reasonably solid but definitely need some more starch there and especially with A F B moving on . Hopefully Alioia can bring some controlled aggression to the pack .
As much of a Powerhouse AFB is, especially with ball in hand, has never been an intimidating defender and Aloiai will definately add more starch and aggression in this area....an area we have been quite soft the past 2 seasons apart from the crunching Jake.

wombatgc

Sausage roll eating keyboard warrior.
Premium Member
Reaction score
Spud Carroll on Aloiai

See that news would’ve been so much greater pre-no punch rule. Hopefully he"ll give off some junk yard dog intimidation to the opposition regardless. We need a mongrel in the pack.

Simmo66

Premium Member
Reaction score
I reckon the antics are simply the fact Aloiai blew up about an ordinary offer, in relation to what he gave on the field....he only had rave reviews from team mates and obviously the coaching staff who only got dirty when he wanted out to join Manly, again only on the back of mismanagement on their part.

My take on this is that the Tigers offered him less in writing to what was agreed verbally. Yes I know the contract is implied via a verbal offer, but in practical terms it is often based on "who" actually makes the verbal offer. It seems that Aloiai felt very aggrieved at the "formal" offer from the club, which was probably very different to what he thought had been agreed too verbally. Words are important, and in this case the actions of the club, didn't match the words that were spoken originally.

2020 Ladder

Team P W D L PD Pts
1 Panthers 20 18 1 1 299 37
2 Storm 20 16 0 4 258 32
3 Eels 20 15 0 5 104 30
4 Roosters 20 14 0 6 230 28
5 Raiders 20 14 0 6 128 28
6 Rabbitohs 20 12 0 8 169 24
7 Knights 20 11 1 8 47 23
8 Sharks 20 10 0 10 0 20
9 Titans 20 9 0 11 -117 18
10 Warriors 20 8 0 12 -115 16