Johnathan Thurston gives Daly Cherry-Evans nod as future leader of Australia and QLD

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
IT is no secret that great players recognise greatness and the game's best, Johnathan Thurston, sees it in Daly Cherry-Evans.

Thurston has gived his nod of approval the Manly halfback as the future leader of the Maroons and Kangaroos.

Read More

IT is no secret that great players recognise greatness and the game's best, Johnathan Thurston, sees it in Daly Cherry-Evans.

Thurston has gived his nod of approval the Manly halfback as the future
Daly+Cherry+Evans+NRL+Third+Qualifying+Final+hFo_JP8ZXfZl1.jpg
leader of the Maroons and Kangaroos.

Heading into his fourth season in the NRL, Cherry-Evans already boasts a premiership ring in his debut season, has represented state and country in victorious teams and won a World Cup and a Clive Churchill Medal.

"He's got his foot in the door now and the thing I like about him is that he believes he should be playing in the starting side," Thurston said of Cherry-Evan's representative credentials.

"His footballing abilities are great. No doubt he'll be a part of those sides (Origin and Test) for years to come. He's got that fire and drive to be the best and no doubt he'll be leading those two sides around when the rest of the side decides to hang them up."

It is easy to forget that Cherry-Evans is only 24.

On paper there is little more he has to achieve but ask the man himself and he is far from finished.

Wired differently than most, the Redcliffe product says he doesn't need the motivation of last year's grand final loss to drive his season.

Instead, his burning desire to succeed and be the best in the game fuels his engine.

"I'm always trying to improve my game," Cherry-Evans said.

"Trying new things and improving on parts of your game you feel just aren't up to scratch at the moment … every NRL team strives to win the premiership every year so that will be our focus. We will have no more motivation than everyone else. We'll be trying our best, forgetting what has happened (last year) and trying to win that premiership this year."

The young star's form was so impressive during the Kangaroos World Cup campaign, many were calling for him to unseat Cooper Cronk as Thurston's halves partner.

Having starred last season in a year that saw him make his Queensland Origin debut, Cherry-Evans says unseating Cronk for a starting spot in the Maroons side is "not something I'm focusing on right now" however he has set both short- and long-term goals for himself.

Cherry-Evans returned to pre-season training injury free and full of ideas he picked up while away with the Test side.

Along with his halves partner, Kiwi international Kieran Foran, the pair has been exchanging notes from their respective camps in order to further strengthen their already lethal club combination.

"When we go away to those sorts of camps and tours (Origin and Tests) we're just trying to learn and trying to improve our game," he said.

"Picking up things from experienced players, me and Kieran exchange notes and talk about what we think can help each other and that's a small step we take together to improve our game.

"We're always continuing to push each other. We definitely feel like we can take our games to the next level and in doing so will hopefully benefit our side. Me and Kieran are always thinking of ways to improve our game and help each other out."

In improving on last season, Cherry-Evans and his teammates are pushing forward and refusing to look back on what was a devastating 26-18 Grand Final loss to the Roosters.

"We'll bounce back," he said. "There's been no talk of (the loss) - I don't think there's any reason to talk about it. What's happened has happened. There was a lot of disappointment at the time but the show goes on. We'll continue to improve and look to go one better this year."

One thing from the loss Cherry-Evans is willing to reflect on is his winning the Clive Churchill Medal.

"It was very bittersweet at the time," he said. "I can now look back on it as a very special occasion. Although the result didn't go our way, there's still a part of me that is very pleased to receive that award and very honoured. It's very prestigious and I felt very lucky that day to be regarded as the best player on the field."

After finishing last season two points shy of securing the Dally M, Thurston, who has won the award twice, believes Cherry-Evans will have no trouble taking his game to the next level.

"He is a very good listener," Thurston said. "He takes everything in. He's like a sponge, soaks everything up. He's a great kid."

NATHAN RYAN
FOX SPORTS

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/johnathan-thurston-gives-daly-cherryevans-nod-as-future-leader-of-australia-and-queensland/story-fni3fbgz-1226819250904

HappilyManly said:
JT - a knack for the bleeding obvious :cool:

@Jethro The Title is too long in the Reply window

Oh okay, thanks for letting me know that @HappilyManly for future reference. I had already reduced the title once by changing "Queensland" to "QLD" to get under the 85 character limit that SER8 told me about the other day but when replying, it re-adds another 4 with the "RE: " so I have now changed "Daly Cherry-Evans" to "DCE" and hopefully that fixes things. :)

DCE and Foz were the 2012 picks, they survived the exposure.
The present NRLmembersip drive advert also ends with DCE - he looks so fresh faced :angel:

I hope that DCE has long term plans at Manly, he really is such a balanced Player :)

Jethro said:
HappilyManly said:
JT - a knack for the bleeding obvious :cool:

@Jethro The Title is too long in the Reply window

Oh okay, thanks for letting me know that @HappilyManly for future reference. I had already reduced the title once by changing "Queensland" to "QLD" to get under the 85 character limit that SER8 told me about the other day but when replying, it re-adds another 4 with the "RE: " so I have now changed "Daly Cherry-Evans" to "DCE" and hopefully that fixes things. :)

Just to be sure, I think you should change it to "JT gives DCE nod as future (C) of AU & QLD.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2