John Gray coming up on sterlo

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
What happened to him again ?? did he get a head injury from a fall or something ??

What happened to him again ?? did he get a head injury from a fall or something ??

Yeah, he had snapped his achilles playing sport and was climbing a staircase as part of his rehab and his leg gave away. He fell over the railing and landed on the floor one level below.

Was in hospital for 5 months, and paralyzed for some of this time, with spine and nerve injuries and has lost 80% of movement in some parts of his body. I think he said this happened in 2001 when he was about 50 years old.

Last edited:
No one will understand him except the Burgos :giggle:

Now he could kick goals!

Not the first player to stand the ball upright because some of the old toe-pokers used to do that, but he was the first (in the NSWRFL at least) to kick around the corner style that is now uniform. I think Gray explained that it was a carry over from his days playing soccer as a kid.

In fact, the last two toe pokers to kick goals IIRC were Mal Meninga and Adrian Brunker. Rowdy Shearer used to but he switched and was one of the few who kicked both styles.

In the 78 finals while sitting in the old Sheridan Stand, I remember marveling at his style of kicking when watching him kick a goal at the southern end of the SCG. I couldn't understand the dynamics of "around the corner" and frankly still can't. He was a great player. A great part of our 78 success, but was treated unfairly when suspended so he missed out on the grand final.

In fact, the last two toe pokers to kick goals IIRC were Mal Meninga and Adrian Brunker. Rowdy Shearer used to but he switched and was one of the few who kicked both styles.

It was embarrassing watching Meninga toe poke kicking for Australia when the rest of the world had moved on to more accurate around the corner kicking styles.

Lucky back in those days we usually scored a heap more tries so his kicking didn't matter so much.

It was embarrassing watching Meninga toe poke kicking for Australia when the rest of the world had moved on to more accurate around the corner kicking styles.

Lucky back in those days we usually scored a heap more tries so his kicking didn't matter so much.

Don Furner had Snoz kicking in most of his teams, but Bozo often preferred Mal over around the corner kickers like Alexander, Daley, Brasher and Wishart. It wasn't until Mal actually gave up the Canberra kicks to David Furner that Bozo relented and started using Rowdy (1993) and Wishart (1994).

Not the first player to stand the ball upright because some of the old toe-pokers used to do that, but he was the first (in the NSWRFL at least) to kick around the corner style that is now uniform. I think Gray explained that it was a carry over from his days playing soccer as a kid.

Didn't brunker miss an absolute sitter that cost the maroons origin?
Something like that. It was all the poor bugger could do too was kick.
He couldn't play.
I think our last toe poker was mal cochrane ??
And I thought the first around the corner in Sydney was a pommy called Jim fiddler for Balmain and North's but apparently it was Gray.

Last edited:
Yeah, he had snapped his achilles playing sport and was climbing a staircase as part of his rehab and his leg gave away. He fell over the railing and landed on the floor one level below.

Was in hospital for 5 months, and paralyzed for some of this time, with spine and nerve injuries and has lost 80% of movement in some parts of his body. I think he said this happened in 2001 when he was about 50 years old.
Gee, sounds like a scene from Wentworth.

John Gray was smart, he left Norths for Manly in the late seventies. John Gray is simple he left Manly for Norths in the early eighties. In his defence he did have a premonition that big bad Kevin Ward's arrival was on the horizon. And there was only ever going to be room enough for one genuine moustache in the 13:

Cheers I remember now - I used to work in the same industry as John and spoke to him on ocassion and I remember when this happened. Nice fella, glad to hear he is doing OK.

Didn't brunker miss an absolute sitter that cost the maroons origin?
Something like that. It was all the poor bugger could do too was kick.
He couldn't play.
I think our last toe poker was mal cochrane ??
And I thought the first in Sydney was a pommy called Jim fiddler for Balmain and North's but apparently it was Gray.

As a goal kicker Adrian Brunker made Colin Scott (former Qld and Brisbane FB) look like Matthew Ridge. And you're right, he couldn't play and IMO never would have for Qld if not for injury to Willie Carne.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6