Job for life for NRL player McKinnon

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Clint

Tipping Member
The NRL unveiled plans on Wednesday to provide a job for life for Newcastle player Alex McKinnon as part of a five-point plan to support him during his recovery from severe spinal injuries.

Read More

The NRL unveiled plans on Wednesday to provide a job for life for Newcastle player Alex McKinnon as part of a five-point plan to support him during his recovery from severe spinal injuries.

Well it's the least they should do really, but still good to see.
Along with the Knights honoring Alex's contract this should allay any concerns for him and his family about finances and the future, and just let Alex concentrate on recovery.

Good job all.

Alex McKinnon re-signs with Newcastle Knights as NRL announces ‘Rise for Alex’ round

IN a huge triple boost for Alex McKinnon, the injured star has re-signed with the Knights, been offered a job for life with the NRL and had an entire round of football dedicated to his plight.

The Knights and McKinnon were in the midst of finalising a contract extension prior to the young forward’s “devastating” spinal injury in round three, with Knights CEO Matt Gidley on Wednesday revealing the club would honour its contract offer.

The deal will be exempt from the salary cap.

“McKinnon is guaranteed employment at the club,” Newcastle said in a statement. “The details of his employment will be discussed with McKinnon when he is ready.”

McKinnon’s job for life with the NRL will take effect once his Newcastle agreement is completed.

The NRL has also announced details of a “Rise for Alex” round, with details as follows:

• A FOUNDATION will be set up to raise funds for Alex to help him through his recovery;

• THE “Rise for Alex” round will take place in round 19, beginning 18 July;

• IT promises to be one of the biggest rounds the NRL has ever seen with a range of family activities and promotions to raise funds for Alex’s Foundation;

• THE fundraising round has the backing of the NRL’s broadcast partners - Nine Network, FOX Sports, 2GB and Triple M;

• THE NRL will dedicate funds to a research project associated with spinal injury.

“I appreciate both the Knights and NRL’s support at this time,” said McKinnon.

“As I have said before, I am completely overwhelmed by all of the support I have received and to now have my future secured by the game, is really humbling.”

Gidley said: “Alex is a wonderful talent on the field and a better clubman off the field”.

“While we remain hopeful Alex will make a full recovery, we are pleased to extend his contract at the Newcastle Knights because there is no doubt he’ll be a valuable employee.”

NRL CEO Dave Smith said: “Alex remains an inspiration for the game and for the rest of the team so this is a sound decision”.

His contract will be exempt from the salary cap and I think everyone will be delighted to have him in our game while he recovers.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/alex-mckinnon-resigns-with-newcastle-knights-as-nrl-announces-rise-for-alex-round/story-fni3gf5j-1226900900391

Well done Knights and NRL, from all of us at Seagulls :)

I am super critical of the NRL and Commission etc at the moment. This is one issue they have nailed! Well done.

Applaud and congratulate the NRL and league community for looking after Alex. It is as it should be.

Just hope the same level of assistance is given to some kid who injures themselves in the juniors when the spotlight is not on the administrators.

What has happened with Richie ?

He damaged his neck to the point of being unable to work as an Athlete too :cool:

Love to know what has been put in place by the NRL for hin too.

HappilyManly said:
What has happened with Richie ?
He damaged his neck to the point of being unable to work as an Athlete too :cool:
Love to know what has been put in place by the NRL for hin too.

Yes, I asked this in another section of the Forum. While the NRL & Newcastle have done a good thing, their motivation has been driven by wanting to be 'popular'. Just like politicians are goaded/guided by the media into making decisions and changing policies. Alex has captured the hearts of all of us, but what about all those other unlucky footballers past and in the future who suffer such serious injury?
Will the NRL offer all of them "jobs for life"?

I was also thinking of Simon Dwyer from what little we hear he is still in an arm sling with nerve damage nearly 3 years after his injury, can't imagine things are easy for him.I applaud all that will be done for players that are severely injured just don't forget any of them

The Who said:
While the NRL & Newcastle have done a good thing, their motivation has been driven by wanting to be 'popular'.
I don't believe that, but I strongly agree with your point about other players seriously injured, especially unknown or low profile ones, and what if anything is done for them.

Yeah there wasn't much information that I saw from the club regarding Richie.

I really hope we honoured the remainder of his contract - though you could just about bet it wasn't exempt from our cap - and offered Richie some role in the future.

He wasn't with us long, but the guy literally broke his neck for the club.

Two years since a career-ending injury, Simon Dwyer is yet to be contacted by anyone at the NRL
NICK WALSHAW THE DAILY TELEGRAPH MAY 02, 2014

EVEN if someone did ring, Simon Dwyer couldn’t lift the phone with his right hand.

Put simply, it’s shot. Useless. Disabled ever since that afternoon two years ago when, attempting a tackle at Campbelltown Stadium, this promising Wests Tiger ripped five nerves straight off his spinal column.

So what has been done since?

Remembering that before rugby league disabled him — before his hand swelled, shoulder routinely slipped out of joint and the pain medication gave him seizures — this young forward was among the brightest prospects in the game.

Not only on the cusp of NSW Origin selection, but owning a thwack which, ironing out no less than Roosters enforcer Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, was hailed on these very pages as ‘Hit of the Century’.

So in the two years since the Greatest Game of All ruined him, who from the NRL has called?

“I’ve never been contacted by anyone at the NRL,’’ Dwyer shrugs.

MCKINNON RE-SIGNS WITH KNIGHTS

Players Association, then?

“Ah, I’m not even sure what they do,’’ he concedes. “Seem a waste of time. I don’t even know if I have a manager anymore. I saw him at a game recently and he said ‘Hi’, but that was it.

“It’s a little disappointing to think, if I were in any other job, insurance would cover this injury. But being a footballer ... yeah, I’m on my own.”

Simon Dwyer is rugby league’s secret shame.

That isn’t him talking either — it’s us.

For while he was once among the most feared defenders in footy, this affable 25-year-old — a fella working as City Origin assistant in Dubbo this week because “Freddy never forgot me” — refuses to whack a game that so badly betrayed him.

Indeed, who has time?

What with the daily physiotherapy, the massages and weights. Bloke even bought his own acupuncture kit.

Which makes him the kind of bloke who doesn’t covet interviews.

MCKINNON OFFERED JOB FOR LIFE BY NRL

But when cornered at City training on Thursday — still wearing the same sling he vowed two years ago would not stop his NRL return — he somewhat reluctantly agreed to open up.

Explaining not only his own battle, but the happiness at seeing Alex McKinnon — a footballer three years his junior — being so well supported by the NRL, the Newcastle Knights, indeed the entire rugby league community.

“What Alex has suffered — terrible,’’ Dwyer says almost in a whisper. “And I hope he gets all the support possible because not only does he deserve it, it’s the right thing to do.

“I mean, we keep hearing how rugby league is business, so why isn’t it run like one? Why aren’t footballers insured?

“Cars and houses get insured, but not us. It’s tough but, while you hope things change, you’ve just gotta get on with it.”

Which is how Dwyer has been every day since that attempted tackle.

When colliding awkwardly into the hip of Canterbury prop Michael Hodgson — “my shoulder went one way, my head the other” — he ripped from his spinal cord the C5, C6, C7, C8 and T1.

“Initially I felt frozen,” Dwyer recalls. “I couldn’t talk, couldn’t move, couldn’t feel anything from the neck down.

“There was only a weird sensation, like my legs and arms were in the air. But looking back at video since, I was just flat.”

Eventually, a Wests Tigers trainer sat Dwyer up and, after relevant checks, tried to walk him from the field.

“But I was like, ‘****, I can’t feel my legs’,’’ he continues. “Eventually, all the feeling came back. Well, everywhere but my right arm.”

And so in the weeks following, this tough Sydney westie underwent surgery that saw nerves taken from different parts of his body — including his left arm and diaphragm — and then redirected into his motionless limb.

Yet two years on, and living at home with his parents, he still has no movement in his fingers. Can manage just one arm curl “against gravity”.

Holding a cup of water, or phone, impossible.

Still, Dwyer refuses to quit.

Right now, driving on a disabled permit, learning to write as a leftie and battling on without those pain killers that caused him “little side effects”.

Like what?

“Seizures,’’ he shrugs.

So what is being done?

For while the Knights may have honoured McKinnon’s contract upgrade, Dwyer had his deal terminated by the Tigers — who couldn’t fit him under the salary cap — and, instead, was appointed to staff on a smaller three-year agreement.

It is a deal for which the disabled footballer has always been grateful. An agreement which, we also note, runs out this year, right?

“I’m not sure what’s happening yet,’’ he says. “I would love to stay in the game and really enjoy my work at Wests Tigers, doing video for the boys and statistics for (coach) Mick Potter on game day.

“The club has said they’re yet to finalise things for next year so who knows?”

Dwyer is also grateful to Freddy.

The NSW Origin great who not only called him into camp in 2012, but has made this former City forward his first staffing appointment in the two years since.

“Which is incredible because some guys, they don’t even have that,’’ Dwyer says. “Only last week I got a call from another footballer in a similar situation.

“He’s struggling and, given the extent of my injuries, wanted to know what the NRL had done. But, you know ... what could I say?”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/two-years-since-a-careerending-injury-simon-dwyer-is-yet-to-be-contacted-by-anyone-at-the-nrl/story-fni3fbgz-1226902619156

There's our answer :s
The RL Players Union should hang its head in shame, along with the NRL Administrators who didn't have the foresight to set up trauma/disability insurance for our Players :mad:

Throw in how Tandy was pretty much left alone (regardless of what he did) and it is not a good look for the game

sami12 said:
I was also thinking of Simon Dwyer from what little we hear he is still in an arm sling with nerve damage nearly 3 years after his injury, can't imagine things are easy for him.I applaud all that will be done for players that are severely injured just don't forget any of them
Thanks Nick Walshaw an article that needed to be put out there, how different things can be for two young men but I suppose that's the way life is sometimes.

The difference is that McKinnon 's injury was caused by the NRL not doing anything about the wrestle in the tackle and how Bellamy taught the Storm to tackle. He would have a claim against both of them, as well as the players involved I would think. Excuse the cynic in me, but the NRL is primarily looking after itself, not Alex.

In Nick Walshaw's article today, Simon Dwyer says he is working in Dubbo this week with the City Origin side because "Freddy never forgot me".

That's right. Freddy left that privilege for his son.

never knew anything about Dywer scenario; very upsetting. NRL should be looking after their "products" better than this...

I am not sure I believe what I am reading here. I assumed all NRL players were covered by accident compensation and trauma insurance? Does anyone know the facts here?

If you read the past month's media reports, its a measly one off amount of about 60k. Once your contract is up, nothing for ongoing care :dodgy:

Dwyer even seems to be flicked by his.Manager. presumable once he stopped getting a fee, he left his Client to fend for himself :mad:

D Smith reckons that they are looking at insurance, but Richie, Dwyer and Mckinnon were left exposed.

I reckon a drunken Fan who trips and hurts themselves at the footy, has better liability cover, than the Players on the field :mad:

It's hard to believe in an era of $million contracts that simple medical and disability insurance is not at the top level and can support an accident like this.

As stated above, what about the other footballers who had their careers cut short by a debilitating/disabling injury?

Exemption from the salary cap? Why?? What a double standard!

Fund raiser? Why? Doesn't the NRL, Newcastle and the underwriters provide the necessary cover? Maybe we should have a fund raiser for all the people sitting in spinal units across Australia!

It is important to remember that while a tragic accident, there is many other "needy" things that need everyone's help as well. I really hate people in the "spotlight" be it celebrities or sports stars, get everything in a time of need while there are people who cannot afford to get the treatment they need or even the food that they require to live.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6