[Resurrected] Jarryd Hayne, the (forgotten) locked up man

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
“I’d rather go to jail knowing I spoke the truth than be a free man living a lie,” Hayne told reporters outside court.....I'd say that's a fairly unique sentiment inside

- shawshank redemption: "We're all innocent in here... Lawyer screwed me!"

I'm assuming there's an appeal.

He's got years of boredom to look forward to and plenty of time for regret. Reality would be setting in for him now. When he starts his sentence he'll probably be placed in an observation unit.

Should give him plenty of time for uninterrupted chat with his God and discuss where it all went wrong and why his God has chosen this path for him.

Did he ever finish his missionary training over in Perth ? Those months of social isolation, deprivation of luxuries and hours of self reflection are going to come in very handy shortly.

I feel sorry for his poor wife. She really must love that bloke marrying him knowing the potential outcome of him going to jail.
It wouldn't surprise me if a movie will be made of Hayne's rise and fall. It has the highs and lows, and would probably also appeal to US audiences because of his gridiron experience.
At the very least I think it would make a fascinating documentary for the History Channel.

I feel sorry for his poor wife. She really must love that bloke marrying him knowing the potential outcome of him going to jail.
It wouldn't surprise me if a movie will be made of Hayne's rise and fall. It has the highs and lows, and would probably also appeal to US audiences because of his gridiron experience.
At the very least I think it would make a fascinating documentary for the History Channel.
There was supposed to be a documentary crew following him around when he went on his NFL journey. I recall reading at the time it was some deal he had stitched up. Don't ever remember it being advertised or promoted, so maybe it was a flop like his NFL journey.

Just had a thought how de Belin must be feeling now. Hayne found guilty; the media going ape sh*t over sexual assaults; a huge push to make men more accountable for their actions . ... It is a terrible environment in which to be judged about a sexual assault, isn't it?
Do the crime - do the time ... I have no sympathy for bully sexual assaulters ..... I was brought up to believe true men protected women and children

I don't know what Hayne's sentence will be, but there is a precedent for that category of sexual assault of 2.5 years imprisonment - see link. He has been found guilty on two charges, but not guilty on the more serious charge of aggravated sexual assault without consent causing grievous bodily harm. I think the sentence will be pronounced in May sometime.

I don't know what Hayne's sentence will be, but there is a precedent for that category of sexual assault of 2.5 years imprisonment - see link. He has been found guilty on two charges, but not guilty on the more serious charge of aggravated sexual assault without consent causing grievous bodily harm.

Yeah he won’t go for 10 years , might get 5, with parole after 2.

Of course everything up until now has been a terrible environment for women in which to be a victim of a sexual assault.
Agreed, but I was trying to make a point that six months ago juries couldn't decide an outcome in the Hayne and de Belin cases. Now, with the spotlight firmly on providing greater protection for females and getting tougher on sexual predators (and rightly so) the environment has changed. Hayne's outcome is an example. I can see the de Belin outcome following suit.

With the current attention that is finally being placed on sexual assaults in Canberra and across the nation one could think that the guilty could be felt with to the full extent of the law, no more slaps on the wrist.

Agreed, but I was trying to make a point that six months ago juries couldn't decide an outcome in the Hayne and de Belin cases. Now, with the spotlight firmly on providing greater protection for females and getting tougher on sexual predators (and rightly so) the environment has changed. Hayne's outcome is an example. I can see the de Belin outcome following suit.
I wonder whether JDB opts for a trial by judge or take his chance with the jury in this environment??

With the current attention that is finally being placed on sexual assaults in Canberra and across the nation one could think that the guilty could be felt with to the full extent of the law, no more slaps on the wrist.
Judges try hard - and indeed must - avoid getting sucked into popular issues of the day, particularly those espoused by shock jocks, tabloids and the like. They don't even like being told by parliament how to do their job, and often can find a way.
But absolutely there is a heightened awareness around the issue right now, and, as The Who points out, you wouldn't want to be going up on a sex charge right now.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7