Jamie Lyon....where does he rate for all time centres?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Killer03

Bencher
We all acknowledge that Jamie Lyon will go down in our greatest team as one of the centres. I think that's pretty much a given. But after tonight and him winning his 4th Dally M Centre of the Year (in 5 years), he has been the reigning International Centre of the Year for the last 3 years (despite playing no rep footy), where does he now rank in terms of great all time centres?

There is always the stigma with Jamie, with those outside of Manly, due to his reluctance to play Origin and International footy, but surely his standing as one of the great modern day centres is now assured?

I can go back 40 years. Seen some greats of course, names like Meninga, Rogers, Cronin, Miles, Renouf, O'Connor come to mind.

Put my Manly bias aside I think maybe Meninga is the only one who I think is equal to Lyon.

Just my opinion.

Killer03 said:
We all acknowledge that Jamie Lyon will go down in our greatest team as one of the centres. I think that's pretty much a given. But after tonight and him winning his 4th Dally M Centre of the Year (in 5 years), he has been the reigning International Centre of the Year for the last 3 years (despite playing no rep footy), where does he now rank in terms of great all time centres?

There is always the stigma with Jamie, with those outside of Manly, due to his reluctance to play Origin and International footy, but surely his standing as one of the great modern day centres is now assured?

Not to mention his exploits in the UK - Challenge Cup and English SL Winner; Man of Steel Award plus a season with the Wee Waa Panthers must rank up there too.

I've said in the other thread that I don't put too much stock in these awards. I'd rank him in our best ever centres even if he had never won one.

Manly have always had class centres. Gordon Willoughby, Alex Tennant, Frank Stanton, Bob Fulton, Ray Branighan, Russel Gartner, Michael O'Connor, Darrell Williams, Terry Hill, Craig Innes, Jamie Lyon, Steven Bell, Steve Matai.....

Killer is definitely up there with the best ever.

I know non Manly League fans out there
(I know! Crazy, but true) who dislike Manly but love Jamie Lyon's work.

Plus, given that it was the "Winter of our discontent," it would've made the captaincy gig that much tougher.

Like Meninga (have to agree with Bob), there is always an excited expectation when he gets the ball that a break or try will unfold. In defence, it is always "thank god, killer is there"!

Well done mate, Manly Legend and a true Legend of the Game!

I remember thinking Manly were a good chance of beating the full strength Melbourne side in 08, because Jamie Lyon was at Five-Eighth. He has a good kicking game which you don't see as much at centre.

Given he hasn't been testing himself against the best (origin, tests) then it rules him out through technicality, his choice and I am cool with that but a fact none the less.

The top centres to play the game dominated at all levels.

Where he's ranked on the all time list is very much a matter of opinion. As far as manly is concerned,he's the most influential signing,with Ben Kennedy,in the last 15 years. something to thank Des and Crusher for.

I don't think Killer's decision not to play rep footy should be held against him. Really he's done nothing more there than what numerous others have done before him, retired from the rep scene to concentrate on club footy in his last years. Sure, he did it earlier than most, but that was his choice.

I think its a measure of his standing in the game that no matter how many centres have come along in the last few years, and there have been some good ones such as Josh Morris, Michael Jennings and even Josh Dugan, that he is always being asked to make a representative comeback. And he could easily do it.....truth be told he could easily walk into the Kangaroos squad for this years Four Nations if he so desired.

It says a lot about the character of the man when he continually sticks to his guns and refuses to answer those calls. A lesser man would have changed his mind long ago.

I believe Killer was a big part of why our season didn't go off the rails months ago like the media vultures predicted. His leadership with Tooves helped keep this team together and IMO if not for losing both Matty Ballin and JamieB at the wrong time, he would be preparing to play what would have been his 6th NRL Grand Final this week.

I don't think the rep games argument carries much weight. The international arena is inferior in class to the week to week grind of the NRL anyway, and Killer has played in winning Origin teams in the early to mid 2000's.

Also, SOO is very much a horses for courses type selection strategy. Most years Snake gets overlooked because of an apparent lack of bulk, but no one is going to tell me that there is a better fullback in the game, even at this stage of his career. If Inglis or Hayne had have broken the game wide open like Snake did against Canterbury last week, it would have been all over the back page of the Telegraph. This is getting off topic now, but my point is, i've seen some lousy players play SOO, and some very good one's miss out.

Jamie is the best centre I have ever seen.

As well as the unbelievable attacking and defensive skills he displays week after week, the guy knows how to win, and is the glue that has held this and other teams together.

It's no coincidence that teams he has played in have won multiple premierships and he has claimed individual awards both here and in the UK.

The greatest.

Lyon rates and would be the centre partner to Bob Fulton for Manly. The only others to compare would be Langlands and Reg Gasnier. Meninga, Miles, Kenny, Steve Rogers and Cronin were all top shelf but our pair are the best.

Ben Glover from Fox Sports intimated a few months ago that Jamie Lyon was not as good a centre as Dylan Walker from Souths (when talking of Gifty playing outside his centres). I guess Ben must be shocked that Jamie beat Walker for the best centre award

Walker was the better centre in that game and Lyon was very quiet.

Two dogs, you should add the Black Pearl to that list.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6