Jamie Lyon: The beating heart of the Sea Eagles

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Eagleheart

Bencher
He is the type of rugby league player who keeps the turnstiles clicking at NRL grounds each weekend.

Be it spotting a gap others simply don’t see, a magnificent cover tackle or composure when nailing a sideline conversion, Sea Eagles co-captain Jamie Lyon is the complete package.

Read More

It is a great story overall and it was nice to read the following.......

"Lyon, who is off contract at the end of 2016, intends on staying involved in some capacity with the Sea Eagles once he hangs up his boots.

“I love the club, some of the best times of my life have been here,’’ he said......"
:D

So proud Jamie is our captain, he is not only a gifted athlete and highly intelligent but also has great integrity.

Love ya Killer...!! :heart:

finally a decent article about the sea eagles. Cant believe this is from the Telegraph

It's been a perfect match: Jamie and Manly.

A bit surprising considering he's such a country boy at heart; but the combination has clearly been excellent.

With him at the helm for another year or two (along with 2V) I'm pretty confident we'll transition well, no matter who goes or stays.

And it's also welcome news that he wants to stay involved post-playing.

''Some of his best times were with Manly''?

Well I'm sure many Manly fans feel the same about Jamie!

That's something I can relate to and embrace as Manly. The garbage negative crap can circulate all it wants, but we are Manly and we know who we are.

Dan said:
finally a decent article about the sea eagles. Cant believe this is from the Telegraph

That's because it's in the Manly Daily and not in the Telegraph :p

The Manly Daily always puts decent articles about the sea eagles in their paper even though they are a subsidiary DT related paper.

effnic said:
Wish a few of the other senior players took a page out of this mans book.

You're not making that assumption about other senior players because of hearsay are you?

Killer is my favourite Sea Eagle of all time.

Whist always a quality player, what has shown through in recent years is his quality captaincy. He doesn't seem to say a lot. But like anyone who carries such a presence, when he does people listen. Jamie's finest hour to me was the Prelim Final against the wabbits last year......down 14-0 after 12 mins and looking like a rabble, he gave the team a much needed rocket which had players like Foran saying 'holy moly, Killer is upset, we need to lift!'.

Would love to see Killer involved in some coaching capacity in the future.

Killer in the Presser was as laid back as ever :)

Reckon he may fire off his Pig Shooter, if any Players disrupt his hiatus on the Peninsular :D

Loved Killer's quote in last night's presser. " It's all just a bit of a beat up" LOL gotta love how laid back the guy is.

Champion!! Both on and off the field. The guy should never EVER have to pay for another beer again .. i'd sure like to buy him one (or twenty).

What he brings to our team is priceless and irreplaceable!

Nice to read some positive news...

I thought my 7 year old daughter would have been heart-broken when I told her about Wolfman not playing for the rest of the year. Wolfman had been her favourite player and she adored him.

As soon as I told her about Wolfman's issues she proclaimed that now her favourite player is Jamie Lyon. Great stuff.

He is the type of rugby league player who keeps the turnstiles clicking at NRL grounds each weekend.

Be it spotting a gap others simply don't see, a magnificent cover tackle or composure when nailing a sideline conversion, Sea Eagles co-captain Jamie Lyon is the complete package.

Read More

Be it spotting a gap others simply don't see, a magnificent cover tackle or composure when nailing a sideline conversion, Sea Eagles co-captain Jamie Lyon is the complete package.

Long term teammates Anthony Watmough and Glenn Stewart both described "Killer" as the most naturally gifted athlete they have played alongside.

High praise from two steely characters who have been fortunate to share plenty of good times in maroon and white with Lyon after he joined the club in 2007.

"He arrived under plenty of pressure, but it didn't take him long to adjust,'' Stewart said this week.

"He seems to makes things look effortless, and off the field he is a great bloke as well."

Watmough pointed to Lyon's calm on field demeanour.

"When the game is on the line we know can rely on him,'' he said.

"He delivers in big games and to be honest he could play anywhere in the backline.

"You could even throw him in the forwards, he would do a job."

Life could have turned out very differently for the proud country boy.

After arriving in Sydney as a teenager, he quit footy in 2004 aged just 22.

At the time he was on the books of Parramatta, and he told a gobsmacked public he had fallen out of love with the game.

After a stint spent pouring beers at the local pub back home in Wee Waa, Lyon took up a two year deal with St Helens in the English Super League.

Lyon dominated the competition, winning almost every trophy possible before eventually deciding it was time to come home.

Plenty of potential suitors put their hand up for his services, notably Canberra, Penrith and Gold Coast.

Parramatta thought they had their man for a second time but a long standing friendship with then Manly recruitment officer Noel Cleal, who signed him as a schoolboy for the Eels, saw Lyon become a Sea Eagle.

"Crusher had a wrap on the northern beaches as an area, and the coaching staff under Des Hasler,'' Lyon said this week after inviting the Manly Daily into his Warriewood home.

"He wasn't wrong, with the beaches and laid back lifestyle.

"My (three) kids don't know any better, they have been lucky enough to live here their whole lives.

"It certainly is a nice place to call home."

Club great Malcolm Reilly knew Manly were getting a special player once Lyon put pen to paper.

"They have a real coup in signing him, in my opinion Jamie is the finest player from Australia to have played in England in the last 20 years,'' he said at the time.

"He has everything to help deliver a couple of premierships."

Reilly was spot on, with victory laps at ANZ Stadium following in 2008 and 2011.

In recent years, plenty has been made about the culture at the club.

Lyon is the glue, organising events like golf days and poker nights.

"It is pretty simple, we all just click as mates,'' the 32-year-old said.

"Everyone is comfortable around one another, we don't have any big heads and the older guys go out of their way to make the young blokes feel welcome.

"I guess it is seamless, footy is better when everyone is enjoying themselves."

Lyon, who is off contract at the end of 2016, intends on staying involved in some capacity with the Sea Eagles once he hangs up his boots.

"I love the club, some of the best times of my life have been here,'' he said.

"It was my dream to play NRL as a kid, so to play just over 180 games with Manly is something I will look back on more closely when I retire."

Widely regarded as the world's best centre, Lyon has a sporting CV ten players would kill to have.

Despite the grand final wins, turning out for NSW and representing Australia, he does have one regret.

"If I had my time again, I would change how I left Parramatta,'' he said candidly.

"I would do things differently, but at the time I felt it was the right decision."

His decision not to answer repeated SOS calls from Blues fans come State of Origin time is also an issue Lyon wanted to clarify.

"Laurie (Daley) has done a great job since he took over, I was stoked to see the boys win the series this year,'' he said.

"I made my decision not to play anymore (in 2010) and I am fine with it, I lost a bit of motivation for the representative scene.

"It has also prolonged my club career."

Lyon is confident the Sea Eagles class of 2014 can land the NRL premiership trophy come October 5 at Homebush.

"We have shown glimpses of real good footy this year,'' he said.

"It is a matter of peaking at the right time, we certainly have the players to be there when it matters and hopefully we are."
Andrew Prentice
Manly Daily

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/northern-beaches/jamie-lyon-the-beating-heart-of-the-sea-eagles/story-fngr8hax-1226995815921

I've read in other forums over the past few weeks a number of people bagging Killer and claiming he is well past his best.

I guarantee though, most, if not all, of those people bagging him would love to have a centre of his quality playing for their club instead of Manly.

HoldenV8 said:
I've read in other forums over the past few weeks a number of people bagging Killer and claiming he is well past his best.

I guarantee though, most, if not all, of those people bagging him would love to have a centre of his quality playing for their club instead of Manly.

What a bunch of tools. Name me one club that wouldn't give their left (and possibly) right nut to have Killer at their club?

Ha we can all just let em think that and agree:D

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4