Jamie Buhrer's Day Off

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
Sorry, couldn't resist.

I'm not sure why we're carrying a fellow on the bench for a time where we're in front by 13+.  Seems wasteful?

so I wonder what Des would say to the kid
sorry Kid I couldnt put you on cause I have no confidence in you
If Cross wasnt out would he have got A run

Bhurer bench earners. It's a new business he is starting. We got fussed by mini v2 the subtle grub. But no excuse for farrer not contesting 2 bombs. Guess what souths will do next week

Des has a history of this & im stuffed if i know why. Seems to be no logical reason for it. If the player is good enough to be selected then he is good enough to be tested.

You can justify it (barely) when your team is winning anyway. When you let in two tries in the last 10 mins (for the third match this year) to lose a match then you just look silly only making 6 changes and using 16 players by choice. Sort it out Des!

The organisation and leadership of the team in the last 20 mins of nearly every match this year has been hopeless. The only thing I can think of is that Orford's value in this area was under estimated. We'd better develop some talkers real quick or this wastefulness will have dire consequences. Was Jamie Lyon out there last night?

We lost plenty in the last twenty with Orford.  I'd be looking closely at the interchange policy rather than the halves.  At the back end of the game players must be tired, especially those that have put in extra during it.  Preston sipped through the middle through a retreating pack for his try.  Tired arms thrown out.  The other was just tired big guys letting a big guy push over.  The interchange bench is there for a reason, not to warm the pants of players who you have no interest in getting on the park.   

I agree completely DSM re the interchange approach being a big factor as well, but they need to address both issues. I don't think we lost many at all in the last 20mins when leading by 10+ over the last four years. I am not putting Orford on a pedestal in this area, just looking for reasons why there is such a big change with only a few different players in the team. Three times in seven matches is not a coincidence.

I think as the year progresses the halves will get better.  Last year we had an interchange hooker coming on, this year Ballin plays the full 80.  I'm a supporter of that strategy, but the middle seems to get soft at the back end of games, The Storm game aside.  I don't believe it's a fitness thing, because apparently Des is a fitness fanatic.  Maybe Bailey is to slow to respond?  Choc and Gift to tired through their early efforts? Can't put my finger on it other than to say we bombed our chances to seal up the three games in the second half, and surely our brains trust will get it right.  hopefully starting next Sunday.   

Prestons try was just a hail mary pass that 99 times out of 100 would fall on the ground, be knocked on, or go forward. Nathan Friend had no idea where that ball was going when he threw it away. Just so happens that it landed in a very lucky Preston Campbell's hands last night, and he is the last guy you want in a broken field situation that close to the line.

Regarding Buhrer......I don't understand why Des leaves him warming the bench for so long. The further the game goes on the more pressure is on the guy when he finally gets on there, and God forbid he should make an error that costs us the game....it would shatter the poor guy. What is the problem with getting him on there early in the piece to let him have a crack ?? If he does stuff up he/we would still have 60 minutes to make up for it. The poor kid must feel like a leper, Des doesn't trust him obviously so why pick him in the 17 in the first place ? He is basically saying to him, we have to be up by 20 + before I'm going to give you a chance to make a fool of yourself. Why not have some faith in the kid and let him get on there early and have a go, if he's not up to then drag him and let him sit on the bench like he is anyway.

It is a tough one, last week there was praise for not throwing him into the pressure, and us holding on, this week we lose and there is criticism of it.

If he had have chucked him on, and he missed the tackle near the end in the final try, I guess we would all be saying whoever was taken off should have been there in his place.

What were our other options last night ? Anything other than Mauro ? Hopefully Cross is back next week

That is the problem with leaving him on the bench for so long. The anticipation mounts, and with it the pressure on the poor kid. Just get him on there in the first half and let him have a go, rather than have him wait around till Des thinks the game is "safe". Felt for the kid last night, when it looked like we were all over them and the next try was only a matter of minutes away he was up and on the exercise bike warming up. As we kept blowing chance after chance, he eventually got the word to put the trackie back on and resume his familiar position on the bench.

Anyway I don't think The Gnu got many minutes last night either, only remember him being on there for 15 or 20 minutes. I don't understand Des's reluctance to use the full interchange, both in numbers allowed and personnel available.

Especially since we appeared to run out of puff in the final 10 mins

yep we did run out of puff ... we did not use the bench very well .. why put someone there, not play at all in the game then run out of puff
It was like Farrar's attempt to catch the ball ..missed by a long way.

Good comments. Put him on at the 30 minute mark in the first half and give him game time. The day will come when we need him due to injury. If he is good enough to be on the bench, he is good enough to run on.

Canteen Worker link said:
Good comments. Put him on at the 30 minute mark in the first half and give him game time. The day will come when we need him due to injury. If he is good enough to be on the bench, he is good enough to run on.

i think we have a winner..

poor guy - hope he gets another chance asap.. surely he'll get a good run at city country/origin time?

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6