The Take on Jake

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
What you say is true mate and someone to fill that role cost less than 1/2 Mil.

Is his ball-running ineffective because he does so much defence and he is buggered or conserving himself?

I don't think people are "knocking him" they are mostly saying he is being used ineffectively.

Unfortunately he is falling into the DCE category where he is poor value cap-wise.

Any way you look at it, nearly 1M is far too much for a middle backrower.
Disagree mate. Not many players can play 80 minutes in the middle yet alone be by far the best defensive player and a great option picker in attack. He never had the pace of breaking the line so I'm not sure why everyone is knocking him now for that...
You especially couldn't get what Jake offers for 500k. What great lock is worth 500k now? Nathan Brown is a hitman thats it, same as Finucane. Neither of them break the line nor do they have any great ballplaying ability, I would definitely rather Jake, especially with our recent halves woes. The only other lock who would be able to take pressure off the halves in a similar ball playing role is Radley. In saying this, 750k would be great but guess thats just how it is, his brother and him came in a $2m combo deal.

Can’t decide between which of the Turbo’s are more valuable to Manly. I can’t wait to see Ben either. All three are destined to win a Premiership at...
Maaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnly!:handfist:

Jakey is a classic. After the match they asked him what he was saying to the players at HT. He just laughed and said he doesn’t know what he’s saying most of the time. The guy is just high on the game and club he loves.

I know, he's so full of energy (even after an 80 minute game) that he literally can't stand still, bursting out of his skin!

I reckon his folks got him into rugby league at an early age as it was probably the only thing that wore him out enough to make sure he slept at night!

He is a Manly champion.

I do think 950k is pretty steep I’ll be honest and I was saying he is a bit overpaid but I guess you have to look at the two brothers as a package deal. $2m per year for two brothers who bleed Manly, wouldnt be caught dead in another Jersey and are both the 2nd best in their position (just behind the 2 JTs). Pretty valuable if you ask me.

We are paying for future, loyalty and a chance to be a real force for the next 5-10 years that they are at the helm. I can’t see how we would turn down that deal.

Jake is also future captain I think we all know that. DCE is a great captain but in reality he is 31 now and probably has around 3 seasons left in him after this. With Jake long term, we get the guarantee of a captain and not just any leader who can be bought by another team but a captain who is born and bred manly, a local junior and absolutely loves the club.

We will win a comp soon, it may not be this year but over the next couple. With Tom DCE Suli, Jake and our prop rotation I think its just a matter of time. Would love Fainu back too.

Coming into the ground last night we saw a pretty well used black Mitsubishi Lancer with P plates park behind the Ken Arthurson grand stand. Out pops Tommy and he says g’day and we have a quick chat. He said hopefully two weeks and he’ll be back but it’ll probably be 3 to 4 (club bring cautious was the inference).
The last thing he said was ‘I reckon we’ll win tonight!’ Smart boy that Turbo.

To be fair I don’t think there is a person on here who doubts Jakes abilities. The questions were about how his undoubted skills were being used, and even though I am a huge Des fan , that’s one area where I’m still not convinced we are getting it right.
So many touches late in the tackle count , often just meek layoffs ,when not required. Jake has a great running game too ( we often forget that )but outside his sensational defence we seem to be using him as a second 5/8 far too often.
If we are honest our attack has been clunky all year. Last night was no different. We had some great individuals and they took advantage of surprisingly soft defence. Our ticker has got us the wins even with Tommy playing. I think how we use Jake is a big part of that.

Last edited:
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7