Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Jake , Jake, Jake!!

XV-1

Bencher
Reaction score
I haven't seen a new Jake thread to go with the 147.

So time 4 a new one!!

Hope Jake has a great game this weekend and smashes a few of the Tigers players.
We have missed his defence around the ruck since he has been gone.

I have also missed the refs calling out Jake, Jake, Jake!!! @:D

The Who

First Grader
Premium Member
Reaction score
As an "old school" leaguey I'd like it explained why the role of the lock seems to have changed so significantly. My memories of the great locks (Coote, Clyde, Menzies etc) were mobile cover-defenders who prowled from sideline to sideline cutting down speedy backs who had broken the line. The lock also seemed to have a roving role in attack.
Nowdays I heard them described as "middles".
Jake is not in the same mould as yesteryear's locks and when he was moved from being a prop it confused an old-timer like me.

XV-1

Bencher
Reaction score
No idea why Jake was leading our attack in the first half.

With Schuster, we don’t need Jake hogging the ball playing .
He needs to compliment Schuster.

StuBoot

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Comp 2021
Reaction score
I thought both Jake and Aloia were underdone tonight.
Jake was good defensively but clunky with the ball.
Alioa made some metres with the ball but defensively was found out twice for two tries and also the stupid penalty that he’s on report for.
Understandable but I think that’s why Des played them big minutes whilst only giving Keppie and Sips 10 minutes or so.
Close to our top 17 tonight so needs them all as match fit as possible.
I’m sure there’ll be tinkering with the bench over the next few weeks and wouldn’t be surprised if Guac gets a spell at some stage too.

Ron E. Gibbs

Bencher
Reaction score
I was very annoyed when Jake let the Tigers' dummy half skip past him instead of conceding a penalty. Led to a huge bust and their first try. But yeah, both he and Aloiai were a touch off the pace, which is only to be expected, I guess.

Technical Coach

Bencher
Reaction score
Alioa made some metres with the ball but defensively was found out twice for two tries and also the stupid penalty that he’s on report for.
Understandable but I think that’s why Des played them big minutes whilst only giving Keppie and Sips 10 minutes or so.
I’m sure there’ll be tinkering with the bench over the next few weeks and wouldn’t be surprised if Guac gets a spell at some stage too.
Jake was poor defensively and obviously under done. In saying that i am not always his biggest fan and he lacks speed for the modern game.

Was too slow to marker after his usual slowing down the tackled player efforts(early in the game which is not a good sign) causing the first try and many times was off the pace in back play not plugging holes.

Jake will obviously improve with more fitness but Manly risk lacking points with his link playing and finding Schuster gets overlooked in many plays(Schuster looked lost and lacking many times tonight)

Des is probably trying to simplify Schusters role in a corridor for the time being but as he is let loose more Jakes link plays will pale in comparison to what Josh can offer along with Walker up the middle.

Jake then becomes an over priced slow tackling machine which is more beneficial and appreciated in a struggling team losing field/possession stats and just trying to stay in the grind of the game.

We also have the high work rate and spark of Lawton who can run lines, tackle, high work rate and offer some spark, along with the potential to pass a little----in some ways Lawton can be that dynamic spark(in a not so obvious way) to what Watmough offered Manly.

In many ways Jake is surplus to our needs, yes he is inspirational and can fill an important leadership role but his price will have to come down to reflect his limitations to the modern game.

jbay

Reaction score
Keppie and Sips have played a lot of minutes over the last few weeks
With a bit of depth this year Des seem to be managing the work load really. Resting them without giving them the week off in case **** hits the fan during a game.
Rotating starting props, cross fingers, we are looking fairly good on the injury front to.
The stars are starting to align🎉

The Manly Tragic

Tragic
Tipping Comp 2021
Reaction score
Keppie going home for a baby so out for 3 weeks and Aloio likely to get a few weeks. We may need another prop. Woods?

seaeagles4life

Reserve Grader
Reaction score
Jake was poor defensively and obviously under done. In saying that i am not always his biggest fan and he lacks speed for the modern game.

Was too slow to marker after his usual slowing down the tackled player efforts(early in the game which is not a good sign) causing the first try and many times was off the pace in back play not plugging holes.

Jake will obviously improve with more fitness but Manly risk lacking points with his link playing and finding Schuster gets overlooked in many plays(Schuster looked lost and lacking many times tonight)

Des is probably trying to simplify Schusters role in a corridor for the time being but as he is let loose more Jakes link plays will pale in comparison to what Josh can offer along with Walker up the middle.

Jake then becomes an over priced slow tackling machine which is more beneficial and appreciated in a struggling team losing field/possession stats and just trying to stay in the grind of the game.

We also have the high work rate and spark of Lawton who can run lines, tackle, high work rate and offer some spark, along with the potential to pass a little----in some ways Lawton can be that dynamic spark(in a not so obvious way) to what Watmough offered Manly.

In many ways Jake is surplus to our needs, yes he is inspirational and can fill an important leadership role but his price will have to come down to reflect his limitations to the modern game.
While Walker was on, Jake played as Prop. I think that is a view of how Des may play Jake in the coming weeks. Keppie will be be out for 3-4 weeks, so expect to see Walker in the lock role off the bench more. Also means we only need to carry 2 bench props with aloli and Sipley to bring Lawton back into the 17

bob dylan

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Comp 2021
Reaction score
Keppie going home for a baby so out for 3 weeks and Aloio likely to get a few weeks. We may need another prop. Woods?

Marty, Paseka and Tof. A 3 man rotation will do me. Also any news on De Luis?

Jake was good enough to play their in Origin, he can be our backup with Lawton and maybe Sirro to com back. Of Jetski will be on Des' radar.

winnyason

Bencher
Reaction score
Jake helps our middle defence. But he needs to stop being link man, Schuster needs early ball

BOZO

The Incomparable Immortal Bob Fulton
Premium Member
Tipping Comp 2021
Reaction score
Walker can play prop . He is not a back any more . He cant run and score tries
We need Parkers speed out wide

Remy

shuu
Reaction score
yea Jake was put in the prop rotation yesterday. We pretty much had 6 props in our 17. We stacked and crowded in the front row department. I like Walker coming into lock a lot. Creates an extra dynamic in attack, needs to work on defence though. Middle defence takes a while to get used to for someone who has been a back for their whole career. So it will come for him. But for the future, two props is enough on the bench, Aloiai and Sipley or Keppie, still can't choose between them :(

XV-1

Bencher
Reaction score
Walker can play prop . He is not a back any more . He cant run and score tries
We need Parkers speed out wide

LOL. I almost spat out my glass of water :rofl:

It's funny, at the end of the first half when Tommy broke thru, he had a choice to pass on inside to DCE or out to Parker. He passed to Parker and EVERY player caught Parker.
DCE would have scored. Tommy is too nice for his own good.

Speed kills, so does a lack of it

Scorpio

Armchair Expert
Reaction score
I like Jake and want him in the squad, but for me there is little doubt he is very overpriced.

In defense there is no issue at all. However in attack he isn't very quick or dynamic as our other edge forwards, and isn't big enough as a prop. Neither here nor there.

Or maybe he was just underdone. Or both.

master blaster

Bencher
Reaction score
I haven't seen a new Jake thread to go with the 147.

So time 4 a new one!!

Hope Jake has a great game this weekend and smashes a few of the Tigers players.
We have missed his defence around the ruck since he has been gone.

I have also missed the refs calling out Jake, Jake, Jake!!! @:D
I dont think Walker would agree... :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

Team P W L PD Pts
18 16 2 438 34
18 16 2 332 34
18 15 3 195 32
19 13 6 189 28
19 13 6 146 28
18 11 7 151 24
18 8 10 -40 18
18 8 10 -46 18
18 8 10 -72 18