Jake Arthur

rj90

Yeah, Nah.
Tipping Member

Manly have produced a surprise mid-season signing by securing Eels halfback Jake Arthur.

Arthur will link Manly with on Monday for his first training session after requesting an immediate release from Parramatta.

Arthur, who has been stuck behind star halfback Mitchell Moses at Parramatta, had been linked with a move away from the Eels earlier this month.

Ok, wtf. This was unexpected.

The kid needed a change of club and has been playing well. He is fit, can defend and can slot right in during origin. I think he is a good signing. Looks like Johns has well and truly fallen out of favour. Young Arthur could end up playing against Parra on June 21.

Manly have produced a surprise mid-season signing by securing Eels halfback Jake Arthur.
Arthur will link Manly with on Monday for his first training session after requesting an immediate release from Parramatta.

Arthur, who has been stuck behind star halfback Mitchell Moses at Parramatta, had been linked with a move away from the Eels earlier this month.

Manly Sea Eagles coach Anthony Seibold has been on the lookout for a back-up for Daly Cherry Evans, who heads into Queensland Origin camp on Monday.

There were concerns around the short-term future of five-eighth Josh Schuster, who returned to the field in Sunday’s 42-12 win over Canberra.

The Sea Eagles now have Arthur, Schuster and Cooper Johns to share the load while 34-year-old Cherry Evans is on Origin duty.

The Sea Eagles had shown interest in out-of-favour Canterbury halfback Kyle Flanagan, who has been playing hooker in the Bulldogs’ NSW Cup team as coach Cameron Ciraldo has opted for rookie Karl Oloapu in the NRL side.

Cooper won't be here next year - No doubt about that. Not sure the length of the deal Jake has been signed on, but he's not the worst signing. It's debatable whether he stays as a half as well - he's quite tall and he has been spruiked as a ball playing forward in future.

My only hesitancy is where it leaves Jamie Humphreys in the pecking order given he is off contract after this season. I think he is a long term NRL player.

My only hesitancy is where it leaves Jamie Humphreys in the pecking order given he is off contract after this season. I think he is a long term NRL player.

My thoughts exactly. Curious to see what happens with Humphreys moving forward.
Also, where does Arthur go once origin is over? Does he take over 7 from Humphreys in Blacktown? That seems unlikely.
Interesting times ahead.

Humphreys has come back well since his nasty injury in the trials.
He has been integral in steering the Blacktown side to recent wins including yesterday over top 4 side Canberra.
Maybe they think he is still a year away, but personally rate him better than both Johns and Arthur.
I reckon Arthur is a decent signing though, as he can tackle and has the experience I reckon the coaching staff want for the SOO period.
This will definitely open a few doors for opposition teams to see an opportunity to slide in for Humphreys, who I really want to stay, as has a higher ceiling then the other 2 put together.

Cooper won't be here next year - No doubt about that. Not sure the length of the deal Jake has been signed on, but he's not the worst signing. It's debatable whether he stays as a half as well - he's quite tall and he has been spruiked as a ball playing forward in future.

Worst signing since Willie Mason.

Team P W L PD Pts
2 2 0 36 4
2 2 0 26 4
2 2 0 23 4
2 2 0 19 4
2 2 0 12 4
2 1 1 13 2
2 1 1 10 2
2 1 1 3 2
2 1 1 0 2
2 1 1 0 2