Jake and Tom Trbojevic want to stay at Manly forever but is it possible in the salary cap era?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Mitch

Bencher
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...a/news-story/e29f2f76ed2a30fb1736e9ad422b1670

Star Manly brothers Jake and Tom Trbojevic fear salary cap constraints could force them out of their beloved Sea Eagles, despite declaring their intention to remain one-club players.

Sea Eagles fans will shudder at the thought of losing either of the Trbojevics, who have already established themselves as NSW and Australian representatives.

But there are no guarantees in rugby league. Just ask Glenn Stewart, who, after the 2014 season and amid much furore and controversy, was separated from brother Brett and forced out of the club due to salary cap issues.

Jake and Tom Trbojevic both come off contract after next season, meaning rival clubs can starting tabling official offers for them from November 1 this year.

“I have never thought about leaving, we are Manly boys. But you never know with the salary cap. All that sort of stuff happens,” Jake told The Daily Telegraph.

“You wouldn’t have thought Glenn Stewart would have had to leave back in those days. I would love to stay at Manly my whole career but you never know what happens.

The way the game is these days, with the salary cap, you never know if someone is going to get forced out or whatnot.

“But we would love to play together at Manly, that’s our goal. It’s something we would love to keep doing and hopefully that can happen.”

The Daily Telegraph reported interest in the pair in a back page story nearly two weeks ago. Parramatta are one club privately discussing the brothers.

“We still have two years to go so I hadn’t thought about it until I saw that story in the paper that day. But we want to stay at Manly, that’s the goal,” Jake said.

“We have a lot of mates here and hopefully we can have some success. The fans here have been really good to us. They’re very loyal.”

Tom, like Jake, wants to play every match of his career at Manly. But he too is a realist.

“Like Jake, you’re just not too sure what is going to happen. Who knows what will happen when we cross that path?” Tom said. “If we both had our choice, we would both stay at Manly together but we will see what happens.

“I saw that (Telegraph story) the other day. It’s a weird one because we still have two years left on our contracts. We love this footy club. The club has done a lot for us. Ideally, we would be here together, moving forward.

Jake and I have grown up together and done a lot together. We are a very close family and it would make it a lot easier for mum (Melissa) and dad (John) if we were playing together. That’s the plan.”

The Daily Telegraph asked Tom which brother should secure the biggest contract.

“Jake,” yelled Jake from nearby.

Tom said: “Jake already gets more money. Surely it’s my turn.”

The brothers have sweated their way through a tough and gruelling off-season under new Manly coach Des Hasler.

“Having Dessie back has been really good, really enjoyable. It’s been a really tough off-season. He has really been flogging us,” Jake said.

“I really hope that will help us out and make us a better team. From a team’s perspective, we just want to be a lot better than last year, compete a lot harder and have a more successful season. Last year was pretty frustrating.

“That’s what you play the game for — to be there at the business end. We were there in ’17 but the last couple of years have been pretty tough and disappointing. Hopefully we can turn that around.”

NSW and Australian superstar Tom will need to use all his speed and agility to spark Manly’s attack this year.

“The off-season has been good fun. Obviously getting back in and working under Des has been really enjoyable, bouncing ideas off with him, I’ve learnt a lot,” Tom said.

“Last year was disappointing, we want to be better than that, we want to play better footy. Everyone plays this game to play finals footy and that’s the goal for us. For now, we just have to keep working hard and try and implement things we have been working hard on at training.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...a/news-story/e29f2f76ed2a30fb1736e9ad422b1670

Star Manly brothers Jake and Tom Trbojevic fear salary cap constraints could force them out of their beloved Sea Eagles, despite declaring their intention to remain one-club players.

Sea Eagles fans will shudder at the thought of losing either of the Trbojevics, who have already established themselves as NSW and Australian representatives.

But there are no guarantees in rugby league. Just ask Glenn Stewart, who, after the 2014 season and amid much furore and controversy, was separated from brother Brett and forced out of the club due to salary cap issues.

Jake and Tom Trbojevic both come off contract after next season, meaning rival clubs can starting tabling official offers for them from November 1 this year.

“I have never thought about leaving, we are Manly boys. But you never know with the salary cap. All that sort of stuff happens,” Jake told The Daily Telegraph.

“You wouldn’t have thought Glenn Stewart would have had to leave back in those days. I would love to stay at Manly my whole career but you never know what happens.

The way the game is these days, with the salary cap, you never know if someone is going to get forced out or whatnot.

“But we would love to play together at Manly, that’s our goal. It’s something we would love to keep doing and hopefully that can happen.”

The Daily Telegraph reported interest in the pair in a back page story nearly two weeks ago. Parramatta are one club privately discussing the brothers.

“We still have two years to go so I hadn’t thought about it until I saw that story in the paper that day. But we want to stay at Manly, that’s the goal,” Jake said.

“We have a lot of mates here and hopefully we can have some success. The fans here have been really good to us. They’re very loyal.”

Tom, like Jake, wants to play every match of his career at Manly. But he too is a realist.

“Like Jake, you’re just not too sure what is going to happen. Who knows what will happen when we cross that path?” Tom said. “If we both had our choice, we would both stay at Manly together but we will see what happens.

“I saw that (Telegraph story) the other day. It’s a weird one because we still have two years left on our contracts. We love this footy club. The club has done a lot for us. Ideally, we would be here together, moving forward.

Jake and I have grown up together and done a lot together. We are a very close family and it would make it a lot easier for mum (Melissa) and dad (John) if we were playing together. That’s the plan.”

The brothers have sweated their way through a tough and gruelling off-season under new Manly coach Des Hasler.

“Having Dessie back has been really good, really enjoyable. It’s been a really tough off-season. He has really been flogging us,” Jake said.

“I really hope that will help us out and make us a better team. From a team’s perspective, we just want to be a lot better than last year, compete a lot harder and have a more successful season. Last year was pretty frustrating.

“That’s what you play the game for — to be there at the business end. We were there in ’17 but the last couple of years have been pretty tough and disappointing. Hopefully we can turn that around.”

NSW and Australian superstar Tom will need to use all his speed and agility to spark Manly’s attack this year.

“The off-season has been good fun. Obviously getting back in and working under Des has been really enjoyable, bouncing ideas off with him, I’ve learnt a lot,” Tom said.

“Last year was disappointing, we want to be better than that, we want to play better footy. Everyone plays this game to play finals footy and that’s the goal for us. For now, we just have to keep working hard and try and implement things we have been working hard on at training.”

What a rubbish article by bulldog, he is suggesting that salary cap may cost us Tom or Jake. **** me the roosters,broncos for examples are under the cap I'm sure we can fit these two in and still have room.

What a load of tripe
Every team has star players on big money, wheres the stories about Broncos, Roosters ect.....apart from the stories of Rep players they are adding to their roster without batting an eyelid, never about losing players like Radley and Manu on Massive upgrades

So teams can't approach players two years out from hitting the market, but the "writer" knows that they are about to be approached.

I hope they never leave but if they do it will be to Parra or Easts.
They both always seem to have plenty of room left in the salary cap.
Most teams have 3 or 4 big name players and we will be no different
If you want stupidly big dollars then you go to Parra but you won’t play finals.

What a rubbish article by bulldog, he is suggesting that salary cap may cost us Tom or Jake. **** me the roosters,broncos for examples are under the cap I'm sure we can fit these two in and still have room.
I agree and if they were to be shown the door I really don’t like our chances of survival as a club.. due to the backlash from members not renewing their memberships because we let the brothers go.
Seriously Lyall and penn would be mad by letting them go Jake in 5 years is our next captain for goodness sake.
Rubbish article

I saw the (long) title and thought "why is Mitch posting a 2 years old news article?"

Opened, then saw it was the DT (btw, ironically rothfools will never get the dt's, cause that means you've stopped drinking!)

Then saw it was by Ritchie.

Then all was clear.

Lol, it's like the editor stormed down to the sports section from his upstairs mini-bar and yelled: "What's with those 2 positive Manly stories last week? You know we have a 10 to 1 ratio of anti to pro Manly?"

-' But boss, we can't keep throwing out Walker stories...!'

"Bulldust. Do a story about how Walker may play in the trials (even though he legally can, make it sound like Manly are breaking the rules)......and, er ... I guess it's time to do another Turbos may leave story. Just dust the 2016 one off."

Hasn't the consensus here been that Tom is on almost 1M and Jake on around 700k?

Maybe this shows exactly how much we DON'T know about player contracts... or maybe i'm the one that got it wrong.

See to me this **** makes no sense.

Really, who be interested in a couple of hacks from the, according to the Telecrap, wooden spooners.

Nothing lasts forever but neither will leave in the next 8 years. Hasler lead to go so did Glenn and plenty of others too. What a **** article.

I saw the (long) title and thought "why is Mitch posting a 2 years old news article?"

Opened, then saw it was the DT (btw, ironically rothfools will never get the dt's, cause that means you've stopped drinking!)

Then saw it was by Ritchie.

Then all was clear.

Lol, it's like the editor stormed down to the sports section from his upstairs mini-bar and yelled: "What's with those 2 positive Manly stories last week? You know we have a 10 to 1 ratio of anti to pro Manly?"

-' But boss, we can't keep throwing out Walker stories...!'

"Bulldust. Do a story about how Walker may play in the trials (even though he legally can, make it sound like Manly are breaking the rules)......and, er ... I guess it's time to do another Turbos may leave story. Just dust the 2016 one off."

You are actually right, the article was originally titled "Trbojevics want to stay at Manly forever" and then they changed it to "Salary Cap may force Trbojevics out of Manly". honest to god that happened overnight.

If the next [ and hopefully agreed ] Manly contracts for the Turbos can be at least three years and similar duration to the previous ones , this will go a long way to enabling them to be one club players . Most likely just banter between brothers suggesting Jake is on more then Tom now, certainly does not seem to be the case . Every prospect of the two of them being able to be one club players , both in the financial and loyalty sense

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6