Its Time for a line in the sand to be drawn

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

sheridanstand78

First Grader
I don't know about the rest of you but I am well and truly over reading and hearing about our player contract negotiations.

The bleeding obvious to me is that the performance of the team so far this year has been effected by these contract negotiations.

I have been a Manly fan since 1976 and I have loved my footy. I think it so sad that since the grand final victory last year the club is being ripped apart by people with agendas.

I appreciate that players will come and they will go, the current situation where some of our gun players are dithering about where they are going to play in future seasons has been way over the top.

Simply if anyone wants to leave have the balls to just say it, this continual speculation that is just fodder for our clubs enemies like news limited who relish our pain.

I love this team, I see a potential there for it to be a brilliant team.

I like what Sir Alex Ferguson the manager of the mighty Man Utd says. Keep the players and reward them who want to play for the club.

The contract negotiations are dragging on and it is sad that an ex coach who has a vindictive streak is trying to cripple the club.

Like the rest of you I just want to see the team win and talk about the posit ivies, the reality since October last year there have been few positives to speak of.

If we lose Fozzy, Snake, Trex or anyone Else, so be it. Manly have a proud history of producing great young players.

One thing that really disturbs me is lengths that the dogs will do to get a reaction, they have become a tacky sleazy disrespectful club, Its sad cause like all clubs they have idiots but a lot of good people too.

I just want to see one way of another these off contract players to decide so that the thing that's bigger than any of them, the club can be allowed to move forward.

Go Manly 2012

Sad to see us going through this stuff all the time. It doesn't seem to happen elsewhere as bad. I wonder if Penn keeps trying to lower their demands as we are struggling financially so it takes a long time to sign/agree?

There will be a decision this weekend re Foran (according to conanu quoting Massoud quoting Toovey).
If true, then the next in line negotiations can get to the next level. Whether that is Snake, or t Rex, or Matai, Ballin, or whoever else I momentarily forgot about.
So far I can't see where the club has been found wanting in all these negotiations so I'm still hopeful we'll get the best outcomes possible.
Naturally the time this takes is frustrating for fans - but it is partly our own fault if we decide we want to be totally consumed with negative fears about what might happen next year and the year after that. Despite our club's almost unmatched history of success, some of us apparently now feel we've lost the plot.

Oh well, I suppose the fan's prerogative is to cheer or boo.

I feel for Penn and Perry, the club is in a state of paralysis over this, contracts were signed by the previous coach and administration to certain players leaving little room to move it seems,

The players have to UNDERSTAND that none of them is bigger than the CLUB, thats what the fans demand and expect from them.

If they leave well fair enough but dont keep club hanging on and they should always remember WHOM gave them the opportunity and show some RESPECT which has been in short supply in my opinion.

sheridanstand78 said:
The players have to UNDERSTAND that none of them is bigger than the CLUB, thats what the fans demand and expect from them.

If they leave well fair enough but dont keep club hanging on and they should always remember WHOM gave them the opportunity and show some RESPECT which has been in short supply in my opinion.

I see your point but when you are some of the hottest property in the NRL you have the luxury of taking your time to make a decision. I do believe we should have a deadline to some extent but if Foran is sitting on the fence about this decision and we rush him it could be the wrong one.

Sure thats true, when you are an elite player you need to be sure but if this keeps dragging on the bread and butter players of the team will be lost, that to me would be just as bad.

If Fozzys decision is not about money his decision needs to be soon.

Look, his dad has a high paid position, I doubt he grew up as a battler. It won't all be about money for Foran, it will about making the most of his footy career.

He has to balance a club he knows and enjoys, with a great record of success, but possibly facing a rebuilding phase, versus a club he doesn't know, but also with a record of success, a top coach that he obviously respects, and which club is (allegedly, but probably) on the rise, on-field and off.
Not an easy choice but I'm sure he'll make the right decision.

sheridanstand78 said:
Sure thats true, when you are an elite player you need to be sure but if this keeps dragging on the bread and butter players of the team will be lost, that to me would be just as bad.

If Fozzys decision is not about money his decision needs to be soon.

That's the crux of the matter as far as I'm concerned, I understand some things just can't be rushed but I'm sure there's plenty of players left in the dark waiting to hear if the club will have the money to keep them on.

I really value having Foran in the team but I value Matai, Ballin, and T-Rex as well...one things for sure it can't go on much longer.

I tend to agree with you ss78, but I do recall reading about a former Manly CEO (Doug Daley) giving Mal Meninga an ultimatum to make up his mind about joining the ARL competition, by signing with Manly, at the end of the 1985 season. Meninga chose Canberra instead. The rest is history.

Then the same bloke, in 1989, apparently fronted the players and gave them the chance to go elsewhere if they wanted out. So Dale Shearer left. So did the CEO's own son. And Fatty was forced to leave after he was offered a contract somewhat below his real worth to the team. That was of course the year before the salary cap was introduced.

So I'm sure the Club is treading cautiously, overlooking the short-term pain, for (hopefully) some long-term gain.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Look, his dad has a high paid position, I doubt he grew up as a battler. It won't all be about money for Foran, it will about making the most of his footy career.

He has to balance a club he knows and enjoys, with a great record of success, but possibly facing a rebuilding phase, versus a club he doesn't know, but also with a record of success, a top coach that he obviously respects, and which club is (allegedly, but probably) on the rise, on-field and off.

Do you think a consideration could be what impact his decision has on his brothers' NRL prospects.

I'd really like to see contract negotiations take place in the off season only. I'm well aware that this gives players and their families headaches with regards to a narrow window for relocation and the like, but it gives their current club a little more strength in the negotiation process (which ANY club deserves) but takes away all this in season angst: it's obvious that it impacts on a players game as its a VERY big and potentially life changing call to make.

However..... Whilst these things make headlines and keep NRL in the news, I can't see any changes being made...

ERNIE FOR NO7 said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:

Do you think a consideration could be what impact his decision has on his brothers' NRL prospects.

Earnie, I'm not putting words in your mouth....but are you saying the Bulldogs might only want one Foran?

KOMORI said:
I'd really like to see contract negotiations take place in the off season only. I'm well aware that this gives players and their families headaches with regards to a narrow window for relocation and the like, but it gives their current club a little more strength in the negotiation process (which ANY club deserves) but takes away all this in season angst: it's obvious that it impacts on a players game as its a VERY big and potentially life changing call to make.

However..... Whilst these things make headlines and keep NRL in the news, I can't see any changes being made...

Transfer window seems to work in European soccer. Might be worth a look at for the "brains" trust. Albeit one suited to RL

Manly have been in the lucky position of not needing to be in the market for established first grade players over the last 5 years. That's a testament to our talent scouting and junior recruitment.

However at some point in the future we will probably need to chase a high profile player from another club. Think about some of what you are posting above if the shoe was on the other foot. Think back to the 70's and 80's when we raided other clubs on a regular basis.

It's a business and the players have a right to consider their future.

Berkeley_Eagle said:
Time for Manly to come out and tell him to sign by 6pm Sunday or offer contract withdrawn

Any GM or coach that tried to pull that kind of move with one of his best players would be looking at getting the sack for it, in any sport.

I'd take it a step further BE. Withdraw the offer. We have DCE (after gun to head), we have a geriatric front row, and I think it is a time for the club to make it very clear that we want those who want us. Let T-Rex, Snake, Matai (please not Lussick - penalty giving, ball dropping twit) know that we want them in our colours. And, above all, help Tooves know that we will back his emerging ability no matter what personnel he has to deal with. Give the guy some air.
And, while I'm at it, what rubbish is this re Foran mincing about a halves coach - his current coach was one of the best in the business!

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2