It's On!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

the mauler

Bencher
It's on: Hasler, Penn take the gloves off
Greg Prichard November 12, 2011

THE ongoing battle between coach Des Hasler and the Manly board has erupted into a full-scale war after Sea Eagles chairman Scott Penn last night reacted to Hasler's legal threat by declaring: ''If he wants to bring it on in court, let's go.''
After a board meeting yesterday morning, Manly said they had sacked Hasler with a year to go on his contract. Hasler had been stood down following a Wednesday board meeting for allegedly breaching his contract by inducing Sea Eagles staff members to leave.
Hasler, who had signed to coach Canterbury from 2013 but is now set to take over for next season, released a statement through his adviser, leading sports agent George Mimis.

In it, Hasler said he had ''not acted in any way improperly'', had ''still not been provided with any proper particularisation of what it is that I am supposed to have done'', and that ''the Manly board have unlawfully terminated my contract and I will be seeking further legal advice regarding my remedies in relation to that unlawful conduct''.
Those comments and other elements of Hasler's statement were like a red rag to a bull to Penn, who exploded in reply, saying the board had ''unequivocal evidence of his [Hasler's] involvement'' in inducing staff to follow him to the Bulldogs, that Hasler had ''a blatant disregard for his contract'', and that ''for him [Hasler] to come out and say we're mistreating him is ridiculous''.
The chairman said the club had scoured work computers to find evidence supporting the charge against Hasler, and that there was ''verbal and email evidence that he [Hasler] was involved in coercing staff to leave''.
''We're doing our due diligence, and reviewing all the emails,'' Penn said. ''If this matter went down a legal course, we would be very comfortable with that process. We haven't spent all of this time reviewing the matter for nothing. I would be almost certain he [Hasler] wouldn't win if it went legal.''
In his statement, Hasler said ''the allegations made against me are without any foundation whatsoever'', and ''it would have been simple, had the allegations had any substance at all, to provide me with the information to which I am legally entitled''.
Penn responded by saying: ''I put a number of the scenarios of evidence to him [Hasler] when I met with him, face-to-face, on Thursday, and he flat-out denied it all. He asked us to elaborate and I elaborated verbally. We asked for a please explain.''
At the earlier news conference, Penn was asked about his negotiations earlier in the year to try to extend Hasler's deal at Manly beyond next year. Penn indicated that each time he thought he was getting close to an agreement with Hasler, the required money changed.
''Every time we were in dialogue over certain numbers in terms of contract value, we'd then go to the board and come back and say, 'Yes, we think we can meet that number', then potentially the goalposts shifted a little bit,'' Penn said. ''Therefore, that process became a protracted process, but it certainly didn't stop the intent.''
Hasler painted a vastly different story in his statement, saying: ''Earlier this season, in about April, I was approached by the board to discuss my contract. However, by June this year I had no firm offer from the club and in these circumstances I exercised the option to allow me to remain at the club for season 2012.
''The negotiations continued in the course of which I continually expressed a desire to remain at the club beyond season 2012. I was told by the club that my salary for 2012 would not be substantially increased over and above what I was paid for season 2011 and no agreement which was acceptable to me could be reached in relation to my salary for 2013 and 2014.
''I then approached the chairman … and in view of the club's inability to provide a satisfactory offer for seasons 2013 and 2014, I sought a release from the exercise of my option for season 2012. The chairman informed me that no release would be granted and that if necessary, the club would litigate the matter.''
Penn said Manly thought they had reached an agreement for Hasler to extend his deal just after the grand final. ''We said, 'What is it going to take to make you [Hasler] stay?' He put a figure on the table. I said I'll have to go back to the board. The board agreed to the figure, but he said he would have to get back to us. That led us to question whether a deal [between Hasler and Canterbury] had already been done.''

Looks like DES has been telling a few porkies. Seems pretty obvious the deal with scumdogs was done months ago.

Just proves to me that DES was only worried about DES. Very ordinary form.

byso said:
Why would the club give hasler the evidence?
This

Absolutely no obligation to present their evidence until such time as they are legally required to. Don't tell me Des doesn't like the feeling of not being in control; of not having the upper hand. He is smart - but not smart enough, seriously the work computer ROOKIE error....

How can Des deny these allegations. So Cleal and Egan etc were off to the Dogs anyway. I doubt it. They were poached by Des he knows it and this won't go to court.

images-1.jpg

wombatgc said:
Show him where it is written. Verbal accusations mean jack ****.

''verbal and email evidence that he [Hasler] was involved in coercing staff to leave''.

Did you miss the "email evidence" part?

wombatgc said:
He knows where it was written - he just fails to believe that someone outsmarted him.

They are under no obligation to show him the paper trail. And the corroborating statements from several staff are not meaningless - especially in the face of multiple statements, a few stat decs would likely be taken now also - legally recognised documents....

Des has lost this - he got the release but not the $ and that is what he is upset about, not that he wont coach here next year, that his true character may no longer be "flying under the radar". In doing this he has also effectively put the Bulldogs on notice - pay me what I want or I will hop into bed with the Knights.....people you heard it here first :D

wombatgc said:

Don't show him, let it go to court and when he loses let him face public scrutiny & court costs.

If the emails he allegedly sent can be proven to have originated from him that would provide more compelling evidence though. (Beat me to it Volley).

The problem with not providing the evidence is that Des may think they are bluffing. They just might be bluffing....
I would rather he see some of the evidence now than air it in the court room. It is hard to believe that the support staff went on there own free well. Just hope he can accept the sacking and go quietly

Moondog said:
If the emails he allegedly sent can be proven to have originated from him that would provide more compelling evidence though. (Beat me to it Volley).
No - you play the trump card when it suits you and your purpose. Remeber this is the board that he has been trashing for some time. They have the upper hand now and will play it that way - if he goes to court what he did will be presented and breathlessly reported in the papers. If he doesn't go to court then the suspicion about his character lingers because if he is innocent then he would want to clear his "good name". Either way his character gets questioned publicly

No I like what the board has done, it is tactically smart and they are playing their number 1 strike weapon well. It's kind of like playing T-Rex in the forwards, much smarter....No truly astute tactician would ever play a weapon like that in the wings now would they

If they have email eviendence dessie really is naive!!! Everyone knows working for a big organisation that has it's only email server that everything can be tracked Including deleted emails.

IMO Hasler would almost certainly not win to any material extent in any court action seeking damages for breach of contract for the simple reason that because he will start his coaching contract with the 9th placed salary cap rorting dogs 1 year early at more than what he was getting at Manly, he will for that reason suffer no loss or damage even if Manly are found to have terminated his contract unlawfully. Not only will he not be out of pocket, it will make him more money, so he would get no damages even if he proved his point about breach of contract. So he will not go to court. And the evidence seems to be against him on breach of contract as Chairman Penn has pointed out.

One things for certain, we are better off with Toovey who richly deserves his chance with a Premiership squad. He has served a 7 year apprenticeship - could not have better preparation.

Superleague was all about greed and self gain, so it is fitting that Hasler is going to a Superleague club.

All u fools are quick to jump on the Penn bandwagon..Did he ever play the game ??. Des may have been controlling ,but he was Manly through & through ..
All this is about Penn wanting to be in charge , The guy knows FA about the game .. We need him gone !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some of players and staff Des believed he had brainwashed loved Manly more than him and reported it to Arko and others they could trust.

It's hard for Des to swallow the part that the club is bigger than him in some people's eyes.

robbiea said:
All u fools are quick to jump on the Penn bandwagon..Did he ever play the game ??. Des may have been controlling ,but he was Manly through & through ..
All this is about Penn wanting to be in charge , The guy knows FA about the game .. We need him gone !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Max Krilich is Manly through and through and played the game just a bit, and he says Des is all about Des and Des only. Are you disagreeing with Max?

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6