It's back to the future

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
10 OCT 11 @ 05:37PM BY JON GEDDES
http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/its-back-to-the-future/

MOVES are underway to entice Sea Eagles legends Cliff Lyons and Steve Menzies on to the club’s coaching staff as part of a new regime when Des Hasler departs for the Bulldogs.

In another major development, chairman of the Manly leagues club and Manly district football club Bob Reilly took a proposal to the board meeting on Monday night that Geoff Toovey be appointed head coach for 2013.

“I want Cliff Lyons to be approached to be on the coaching staff or assistant coach,” Reilly said.

“And I want Steve “Beaver” Menzies to be approached in France to come back and work with the Sea Eagles in some capacity, either in coaching or administration or whatever he wants. I want to bring these people into the organisation.”

Ageless backrower Menzies finishes up playing with his French club Catalans next year.

Lyons coached the Narraweena Hawks to the Manly A grade premiership this season and is keen to forge a coaching career.

“I’d be very interested, that would be great,” the former champion five-eighth said.

Reilly also claimed procrastination was the reason why Hasler was leaving the club and that action needed to be taken right away to name Toovey as the club’s next NRL coach.

“I firmly believe in promoting from within and I think Geoff Toovey has absolutely done his apprenticeship under Des and think he will make an excellent coach,” Reilly said.

“We need stability and be able to put forward a structure that can go forward and I think it is important we know who is going to be coach beyond Des.”

Sea Eagles second-rower Anthony Watmough yesterday backed Toovey as Hasler’s replacement beyond 2012.

“My job is to play footy and I’ll leave decisions as to who takes over from Des to the board, but I think the boys would love to see Tooves in charge,” he said.

Former Manly owner Max Delmege has backed a Toovey-Lyons coaching team.

“I have been saying all along Geoff Toovey should get the job because he knows the players well and he’s watched Des do the job,” Delmege said.

“In my opinion Cliff Lyons should make a good deputy for him.

“I don’t think we could go past those two.”

Berkeley_Eagle said:
10 OCT 11 @ 05:37PM BY JON GEDDES
http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/its-back-to-the-future/

MOVES are underway to entice Sea Eagles legends Cliff Lyons and Steve Menzies on to the club’s coaching staff as part of a new regime when Des Hasler departs for the Bulldogs.

In another major development, chairman of the Manly leagues club and Manly district football club Bob Reilly took a proposal to the board meeting on Monday night that Geoff Toovey be appointed head coach for 2013.

“I want Cliff Lyons to be approached to be on the coaching staff or assistant coach,” Reilly said.

“And I want Steve “Beaver” Menzies to be approached in France to come back and work with the Sea Eagles in some capacity, either in coaching or administration or whatever he wants. I want to bring these people into the organisation.”

Ageless backrower Menzies finishes up playing with his French club Catalans next year.

Lyons coached the Narraweena Hawks to the Manly A grade premiership this season and is keen to forge a coaching career.

“I’d be very interested, that would be great,” the former champion five-eighth said.

Reilly also claimed procrastination was the reason why Hasler was leaving the club and that action needed to be taken right away to name Toovey as the club’s next NRL coach.

“I firmly believe in promoting from within and I think Geoff Toovey has absolutely done his apprenticeship under Des and think he will make an excellent coach,” Reilly said.

“We need stability and be able to put forward a structure that can go forward and I think it is important we know who is going to be coach beyond Des.”

Sea Eagles second-rower Anthony Watmough yesterday backed Toovey as Hasler’s replacement beyond 2012.

“My job is to play footy and I’ll leave decisions as to who takes over from Des to the board, but I think the boys would love to see Tooves in charge,” he said.

Former Manly owner Max Delmege has backed a Toovey-Lyons coaching team.

“I have been saying all along Geoff Toovey should get the job because he knows the players well and he’s watched Des do the job,” Delmege said.

“In my opinion Cliff Lyons should make a good deputy for him.

“I don’t think we could go past those two.”
Maybe some good will come out of all this turmoil. Tovves as head coach is a great first step next Cliffy as his understudy and beaver somehow involved would be fantastic. Now the big one sign Crusher now and then bed everything down for next year. After a bad weekend some steps to a good future

What a hide this snake Reilly has throwing names of legends like Menzies and Lyons around to deflect the fact his game playing cost the manly club a two time premiership winning coach. Hang your head in shame Bob Reilly.

The Truth said:
What a hide this snake Reilly has throwing names of legends like Menzies and Lyons around to deflect the fact his game playing cost the manly club a two time premiership winning coach. Hang your head in shame Bob Reilly.

I actually agree with everything Bob said in that article. Getting these legends back to the fold of the club might be precisely what we need to stay on track. Its just unfortunate that Des won't be a part of it.

In Bob's defense, as much as we're all angry and want to point fingers, he wasn't the one in the sub-committee that had the job of re-negotiating the contract. We won't know who was to blame unless Des tells us himself.

I think the club, and that includes Bob Reilly as well, have taken the first steps to getting us back on track again. Now, we need to re-sign Tony, we need Crusher to stay and then start locking up the players one by one.

If this can all be done before WCC preparations we will be in the right state of mind to farewell Des as he should be, then welcome the 90's Army back to Brookie next October. Let the real Manly Dynasty begin!!

Makes you think, sending out a statement like that he might just be reading some of the comments on this forum and be a tad concerned.

Why is Reilly spokesman for the board? Wouldn't it be a bit neater at present if the board - while there is still a board - spoke with one voice?

OneEyedEagle said:
Makes you think, sending out a statement like that he might just be reading some of the comments on this forum and be a tad concerned.

He just needs to read all the news articles that mention his name to know he's in a bit of trouble. Coming onto this forum would just be the icing on the cake

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Why is Reilly spokesman for the board? Wouldn't it be a bit neater at present if the board - while there is still a board - spoke with one voice?

He is spokesman for the Football Club Board, and a member of the Sea Eagles Board. He is also Chairman of the Leagues Club. Therefore, as a man that commands 3 votes on the Board and the 'representative of the supporters" on the Sea Eagles Board, it is his obligation to make statements. These statements will usually be on behalf of the Football Club or the Leagues Club, not the Sea Eagles Board. Penn will usually make comments about the Sea Eagles Board as its Chairman.

Bob Reilly's comments in that article are not necessarily what the Sea Eagles Board want to achieve. It's more what the 3 representatives on the Board representing us want to achieve. From reading that article I agree with what they want and hopefully the rest of the Sea Eagles Board agree

That is patently ridiculous Jono. The dysfunction of the board structure is exposed as a key reason for Hasler saying he'll move on. He was making a point he believes is vital for the club's future in the strongestr way he could.

The problem is that the FC Leagues club Quantum/Surfside (?) and Penns may be too many cooks.

So you think it is a great sign that some of those ownership entities are making their own individual public pronouncements at this time? I would have thought the opposite was preferable.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
That is patently ridiculous Jono. The dysfunction of the board structure is exposed as a key reason for Hasler saying he'll move on. He was making a point he believes is vital for the club's future in the strongestr way he could.

The problem is that the FC Leagues club Quantum/Surfside (?) and Penns may be too many cooks.

So you think it is a great sign that some of those ownership entities are making their own individual public pronouncements at this time? I would have thought the opposite was preferable.

It's the pronouncement I agree with, not the fact he made his opinions public.

As for the structure, I agree. The number of people on the board should be in proportion with the ownership of the club. Give Penn 3 seats, the Football Club 1, Leagues Club 1 and Surfside 2. This will mean all Penn needs is the support of either Surfside or the Lagues/Football Club ticket for support (5 vs 2). The football Club should always have veto power over the colours, emblem and the ground.

SeaEagleRock8 said:

No - Reilly and the Football Club/Leagues Club command three votes and to pass anything a 5-2 vote is required, from what has been posted.

Therefore this group retains the power. It is this structure that is the problem. Can you imagine Russell Crowe or Nathan Tinkler putting up all their millions for a small group of untouchables to make all the important calls.

Various articles make it clear that Reilly is in damage control and senses that they could be a challenge to his position.

Hmmmm, Toovey, Lyons and Menzies. Gee I wonder where he picked those names from. Me thinks that he has been reading the Silvertails forum.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6